TALKBACK: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - SPOILERS -

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: TALKBACK: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - SPOILE

Postby goji4ever » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:30 pm

Mechanical Titan? Monarch creating Titans?
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:48 pm

^
If Monarch is building a Mechagodzilla on Skull Island they are verifiably the stupidest batch of super scientists that have ever existed in this genre. The Monarch motto is "we want bad things to happen."
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojira-2000 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Interesting to note that they've also tried to create organic Titans in the past. I wonder if that's a reference to Biollante.
Gojira-2000
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gwangi » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I was probably the only G-fan in the world who had only seen the movie once. This weekend finally rectified things. While the element of surprise was gone, I still very much enjoyed it and it allowed me to catch things that I missed the first time around, especially in the closing credits. There was that Kong/Godzilla painting, which totally eluded me the first time around. Like Dr. Arnold Johnson said, Kong and Godzilla may have fought millions of years prior!

This second time around, I think I appreciated Kyle Chandler a little more. Many accused Aaron Taylor-Johnson of sleepwalking through his performance. Clearly, Chandler does not and I believe he is now the only actor who can say that he was in two Kong movies as well as two Godzilla features (maybe there is a Toho character actor who can claim the same thing – I don’t know).

If I could change some things, first and foremost, yes more daylight battles! “Kong: Skull Island” is my favorite of the Monsterverse thus far, because it did contain some very exciting battles in broad daylight. The Oxygen Destroyer’s participation did not bother me so much (we G-fans have a better understanding of the device than the general movie audience), but it would have been nice had the OD been given more of an exploratory nature. And perhaps I would have changed the sequence where they wake up Rodan first and then the more menacing Ghidrah.

Baltan II wrote:While it won’t become a top favorite as there are minor quibbles with it, I’m shocked (though I shouldn’t be at this point, because everything since Final Wars has been super polarizing) at the number of Godzilla fans that don’t like it.

Well, that is the nature of things. Had we had this same social media back in the 60s, it is a good bet that the movies that are looked upon with sheer reverence, probably would not be looked upon with sheer reverence! I could almost picture the reviews for "Monster Zero" - goofy alien outfits, dancing jigs, the series has strayed so far away from its brilliant dark undertones, etc. And of course, there would be calls for Toho to put this baby to bed. And while they would appreciate Nick Adams, there would be that need to have his character fleshed out more, therefore a backstory of about 30 minutes would have done great justification! :mrgreen:
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Russzilla » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:39 am

goji4ever wrote:Mechanical Titan? Monarch creating Titans?

“Developing this mechanized giant on Skull Island.” Hmm.
Russzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Now that I knew not to expect any daytime fight scenes, I enjoyed this movie a lot more consistently on the second viewing. Also, I agree with Gwangi that Kyle Chandler really pulled his weight. He's probably the highlight among the human cast. I love that moment when Godzilla has just been reborn and the two of them look at each other; you really get a sense that his enmity for Godzilla is finally resolved, and it's all done with a look. While some character moments could have done with more breathing room, on the whole the story-telling feels economical rather than clipped.

EDIT: I just realised something. The Monsterverse has a recurring theme of absent fathers trying to get back to their families. After 14 months stationed away from his family, learning to put them first and struggling to save them is Ford Brody's main character arc in G2014. Hank Marlow struggled for years to get off Skull Island and return to his family before the death of his friend made him give up hope. After disappearing into a bottle for years, Mark Russell literally goes to the ends of the Earth to get his family back.

I doubt this is an intentional theme for the Monsterverse as a whole, but it would be interesting if it is. I remember reading in David Kalat's critique of All Monsters Attack that father and son relationships were a theme of particular interest to Ishiro Honda.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Haven't posted my thoughts here but I really enjoyed it, even more during the second time around (i.e. the bits and bobs I've seen of it when I'm on break at the theater).

I still have my problems, namely the mishandling of the Oxygen Destroyer and the film's general pace and run time which I felt was too fast and too short respectively.

The monster scenes were, obviously, fantastic. The kaiju oozed personality whenever they were on screen, especially Ghidorah and Rodan. While they're not my favorite cinematic portrayals of either character, they're definitely up there.

I actually didn't mind the human cast. I thought they were pretty solid for the most part. Maybe a bit overcrowded but nobody there I really wanted to see removed.

The music by Bear McCreary is fantastic. It's so amazing to hear Ifukube's themes booming out of theater speakers. I liked the new cover of BOC's Godzilla too.

All in all, not perfect but not bad either. If I were to give it a rating out of five, it would be a 3.75.
UltramanGoji
Godzilla Egg

Postby XvGojira » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Russzilla wrote:

It's not MechaGodzilla, it's Iron Kong. They're just building a suit for the monkey.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:25 am

SciFi Japan is delivering the Godzilla: King of the Monsters goods!

06/01/2019:
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS – The World Premiere
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS is now playing worldwide, dividing critics and (mostly) pleasing moviegoers. Two weeks ago, SciFi Japan was among the media outlets invited to attend the film’s World Premiere at the famed TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood, CA. We are pleaed to share this photo and video gallery from that event…

05/22/2019:
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Japanese Press Notes, Photos and Logo From Toho
Toho Co., Ltd. has provided press materials for the Japanese release of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS (ゴジラ キング・オブ・モンスターズ, Gojira Kingu Obu Monsutāzu).

05/25/2019:
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Cast and Director Interview Videos
Warner Bros. Pictures has provided interview videos with the cast and director of GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS.

05/29/2019:
GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Update: The World’s Greatest Monsters Converge on the World’s Tallest Building
In anticipation of the Dubai opening of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, four of the most awe-inspiring monsters the world has ever known took over the world’s tallest building — the magnificent Burj Khalifa — to showcase the film’s incredible visuals and audio on a massive scale.

05/31/2019:
Win a GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Book Bundle From Titan!
There are (3) prizes, consisting of one (1) Godzilla: King of the Monsters – The Official Movie Novelization and one (1) The Art of Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

05/28/2019:
Richard Pusateri - GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Non-Spoiler Review

05/30/2019:
Matt Frank - GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS Review 2 – An Earth-Shattering Extravaganza!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Ultraseven » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Haven't posted my thoughts here but I really enjoyed it, even more during the second time around (i.e. the bits and bobs I've seen of it when I'm on break at the theater).
The music by Bear McCreary is fantastic. It's so amazing to hear Ifukube's themes booming out of theater speakers. I liked the new cover of BOC's Godzilla too.

I was awesome! the sountrack was fantastic and i will hunt more of McCreary music in the next weeks.
Ultraseven
Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:49 am

Russzilla wrote:

MechaniKong! Called this a few weeks back. Doubt it'll ever amount to anything other than this "blink and you miss it" clip, but it's fun to ponder. :wink:
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby william newell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Anyone else think that the lack of a core character, or characters, being in each film has hurt audience interest? Sure, we had Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins return from Godzilla, but now, with both of them gone, we have no one in the cast left. I think this hurts the whole representation of Monarch and continuity across all of the films as a whole. Hell, they could have brought John Goodman back, just claim that he is the son of the original character from Skull Island who joined/took over Monarch to continue his dad's work. Just a thought that I had. I'd be curious to hear what you all think...
Last edited by william newell on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dai » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote:MechaniKong! Called this a few weeks back. Doubt it'll ever amount to anything other than this "blink and you miss it" clip, but it's fun to ponder. :wink:

If GvK is going to be the end of the Monsterverse, there's really no reason for them to hold back or worry about it being 'silly'. By all means, throw in Mechanikong and Mechagodzilla, and not as a nanotech city this time, thanks. Hell, have Godzilla do the tail slide attack from GvM, or close on a shot of a Godzilla and Kong bro-fist.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm

william newell wrote:Anyone else think that the lack of a core character, or characters, being in each film has hurt audience interest? Sure, we had Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins return from Godzilla, but now, with both of them gone, we have no one in the cast left. I think this hurts the whole representation of Monarch and continuity across all of the films as a whole. Hell, they could have brought John Goodman back, just claim that he is the son of the original character from Skull Island who joined/took over Monarch to continue his dad's work. Just a thought that I had. I'd be curious to hear what you all think...

They had a core character in the first half-hour of G2014... then they killed him. They set K:SI in the past, so they couldn't realistically bring any of the survivors forth to KOTM. I didn't even remember Sally Hawkins from the first film, and I've given my opinion on Serizawa's character previously in this thread. Maybe Farmiga and Chandler's character should have been combined into one, with all the villainy left to Charles Dance? Book that right, you get a nice crowd pop in this or GvsK when he gets inevitably stomped by Godzilla.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:12 am

Had a chance to view this for the third time, and this time on ScreenX (we have two of them in the greater LA area).

phpBB [media]

Regarding ScreenX, I had assumed that there would be three screens and would be viewing this as if it was a Cinerama experience. However, there was in fact one screen. The right and left side are just walls, however there are projectors placed on top of either side, thus completing that 270-degree image. I have to admit, that at first I was wowed when it was first introduced; it certainly did feel like I was surrounded by the movie.

However, that 270 degree image is not constant. During the slower parts of the movie, the image is only playing in that center screen! :shock: Only when the action starts to pick up, do the walls light up again. And that is basically how it was during the entire movie. I still say the best possible viewing experience is on IMAX.

Despite all of this ScreenX gimmick, I still very much enjoyed the movie and of course, catch things I missed in the first two go rounds, such as Ghidrah saber-rattling his tail when he is awakened, and an image of Behemoth can be seen right there in the very beginning of the opening credits.

Using Leonard Maltin's ratings guide, G:KOTM still garners a solid *** stars, while the ScreenX experience receives **1/2 stars.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby GFan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:28 am

Gwangi wrote:Had a chance to view this for the third time, and this time on ScreenX (we have two of them in the greater LA area).

phpBB [media]

Regarding ScreenX, I had assumed that there would be three screens and would be viewing this as if it was a Cinerama experience. However, there was in fact one screen. The right and left side are just walls, however there are projectors placed on top of either side, thus completing that 270-degree image. I have to admit, that at first I was wowed when it was first introduced; it certainly did feel like I was surrounded by the movie.

However, that 270 degree image is not constant. During the slower parts of the movie, the image is only playing in that center screen! :shock: Only when the action starts to pick up, do the walls light up again. And that is basically how it was during the entire movie. I still say the best possible viewing experience is on IMAX.

Despite all of this ScreenX gimmick, I still very much enjoyed the movie and of course, catch things I missed in the first two go rounds, such as Ghidrah saber-rattling his tail when he is awakened, and an image of Behemoth can be seen right there in the very beginning of the opening credits.

Using Leonard Maltin's ratings guide, G:KOTM still garners a solid *** stars, while the ScreenX experience receives **1/2 stars.

GKotM in IMAX was pretty amazing (I got to see it twice like that), I was bummed that G2014 only played in 3-D IMAX. You notice SO many more details, and it makes the monster fights that much more immersive.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby william newell » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:48 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:
william newell wrote:Anyone else think that the lack of a core character, or characters, being in each film has hurt audience interest? Sure, we had Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins return from Godzilla, but now, with both of them gone, we have no one in the cast left. I think this hurts the whole representation of Monarch and continuity across all of the films as a whole. Hell, they could have brought John Goodman back, just claim that he is the son of the original character from Skull Island who joined/took over Monarch to continue his dad's work. Just a thought that I had. I'd be curious to hear what you all think...

They had a core character in the first half-hour of G2014... then they killed him. They set K:SI in the past, so they couldn't realistically bring any of the survivors forth to KOTM. I didn't even remember Sally Hawkins from the first film, and I've given my opinion on Serizawa's character previously in this thread. Maybe Farmiga and Chandler's character should have been combined into one, with all the villainy left to Charles Dance? Book that right, you get a nice crowd pop in this or GvsK when he gets inevitably stomped by Godzilla.

Actually, I can think of one "character" from Skull Island who could have been brought back...John C. Riley's son. What I'd like to see in Godzilla vs. Kong, that would somewhat resolve my issue of continuity, would be a scene in Monarch's headquarters(I mean, they have to have one, right? It's obviously an organization with considerable resources, what with all the containment and safe areas built. Not to mention all the jazzy equipment...)with a shot of a "memorial wall" with photos of all the Monarch members(and affiliates)who have lost their lives. Not a perfect solution, but I think it would work.
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby battrafan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FY9NhEhgkM&t=1m13s

The mountain kaiju if anyones curious what it looks like.
battrafan

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:01 pm

william newell wrote:
Actually, I can think of one "character" from Skull Island who could have been brought back...John C. Riley's son. What I'd like to see in Godzilla vs. Kong, that would somewhat resolve my issue of continuity, would be a scene in Monarch's headquarters(I mean, they have to have one, right? It's obviously an organization with considerable resources, what with all the containment and safe areas built. Not to mention all the jazzy equipment...)with a shot of a "memorial wall" with photos of all the Monarch members(and affiliates)who have lost their lives. Not a perfect solution, but I think it would work.

John's son is the same actor who played young John in the prologue, so conceivably John C. Reilly could play the grown up version of that character!

Barring that: remember how he said that some of the residents of Skull Island didn't seem to age? He spent decades on the island, maybe his aging has been slowed down?

Just by the way; if the MonsterVerse does end up only being these four films I can totally see Kong: Skull Island being my favorite of the four. I mean, I love Kong, but as a Godzilla fan that feels weird to say, right? I think it's a terrific film and although it's well-liked I think it's somewhat underrated.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby goji4ever » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am

I honestly dont know which film i would pick as a favorite from Monsterverse..

there are so many amazing sequences in Godzilla (great scenes, ambience, music).. but Kong is a “better” paced/executed story... KOTM is by default last (they did Rodan so wrong), plus there are no moments of “amazing” as in the other films
goji4ever
Little Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:08 am

Joseph Goodman wrote:They set K:SI in the past, so they couldn't realistically bring any of the survivors forth to KOTM.

Houston Brooks is at the site of Mothra's cocoon when it hatches, he's the one calling to Dr. Chen. Different actor, obviously.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:32 pm

I thought this was a good look at the film over at Eva Geeks (an Evangelion franchise forum) -
This movie is the Mad Max Fury Road of Godzilla movies, and that's a fantastic thing.

I get the complaints critics have with this one, really I do. But I also get watching Godzilla movies. There's a reason why Toho poured money into this franchise, even in the 60's when things were getting sillier, goofier, and more expensive, and that's because there's an inherent, primal, almost carnal desire for these kinds of movies.

I agree with the sentiment that it's kinda like one of the 90's Godzilla movies. It did remind me a lot of a Takao Okawara Godzilla movie within terms of near-flawless visuals and over-the-top fight scenes, but I feel that the human characters were slightly better integrated in this movie than those particular 90's Godzilla movies. So basically, if you're down with a Takao Okawara Godzilla flick, then this movie is paradise for you. It gives you the attention to detail in the spectacular nature of the monsters scenes in this film on a modern scale while also shaping up the human drama to better coexist with the monster battles.

However, if you're expecting the 60’s, Ishiro Honda + Shinichi Sekizawa dream team levels of human drama and sci-fi lore, it doesn't quite match up to that. (And I think that this is what the critics are complaining about.) The comparison to Honda/Sekizawa's Destroy All Monsters is an apt one, for sure, but my unpopular opinion among Godzilla fans is that it was one of the weaker movies by that creative duo anyway. (It's not bad, but I'll gladly take their Mothra vs Godzilla or any of their Ghidorah-focused films over Destroy almost any day of the week.) Both DAM and GKotM19 have wonderfully fantastical and fun sci-fi lore, but lack the finer nuance to the human stories that much of their first chunk of Showa-Era Godzilla movies had before Jun Fukuda was tasked to take on the role as director. (And Fukuda never excelled at human dramas anyway, so...) There's a needless comic-relief character in here played by Bradley Whitford that'll probably be divisive among audiences, (I personally don't mind him, really), but at the same time, how else can one constantly look at the face of ancient gods and still remain sane?

I don't think this movie really MEANS anything either, despite it's explicit and tactless environmental message. It has no depth, nuance, or any further discussion of any kind except for what it says on the tin. (Though there is some neat little reconsideration of the "needs of the many over the needs of the one" mentality before that also gets sidelined entirely.) But environmental awareness is definitely something that the film's late producer (and director of Godzilla vs the Smog Monster) Yoshimitsu Banno felt strongly about, so it's no surprise that this message is in there. (And it's not detrimental to anything either, narratively or in the public discourse. It just doesn't amount to much in the narrative themes either.)

So yeah, I'd definitely recommend this movie. Watch the Hell outta this. I'm gonna watch this at least a few more times in some other choice theaters.

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/18722 ... 0/#p887079

GKotM19 is by far the most fun movie I've watched this year since Alita: Battle Angel. (I mean, Endgame was fun too, I guess, but not as fun for me.) But there were a lot of aspects to its narrative that made the whole thing feel slightly off. I would recognize tropes used in the original 1954/56 film with Dr. Serizawa being reimagined as a new character (san eyepatch and love triangle), and even from 1991's Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, where the Godzilla creature had to be irradiated with a modern Japanese nuclear sub in order to fight King Ghidorah. But in both of those examples, the tropes used sat on the opposite spectrum of the use of nuclear weapons.

In the 2019 film, Dr. Serizawa sacrifices his own life by deploying one of the world's most deadly weapons next to Godzilla. This mirrors the moment inn the 1954 film where Dr. Serizawa did the same thing, but to a different effect. 1954 Serizawa was on a mission to kill the greatest threat known to mankind while also sacrificing himself to assure that no one in the world would ever use his deadly weapon ever again, while 2019 Serizawa was on a mission to sacrifice himself using one of the weapons on Earth to awaken one of the greatest threats known to mankind so that threat could act as a weapon against another monster. (And yes, Godzilla is still seen as a threat in the 2019 film. The movie is nowhere near subtle with its "he's on our side for now" foreshadowing.) This twisting of Dr. Serizawa's goals and beliefs kinda rubs me the wrong way, despite it being so positively emotionally impactful for me when watching it in the theaters. (I'm literally of two different minds about it, but the scene had me sobbing anyway, so overall, I guess it's a win for the film.)

The second part of that is the use of nukes to re-irradiate Godzilla. This was done once before in a Japanese film as well, 1991's Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. (GvKG) But, in the Japanese film, the whole operation is painted with darker undertones. Japan has (in both real life and in this movie's universe) a policy against owning or otherwise using nuclear weapons. (This was established in-universe in Godzilla 1984, AKA "The Return of Godzilla.") In GvKG, it's explain that the Japanese government has been secretly working on a nuclear submarine despite their public policies. While this almost betrays the characters of earlier films claiming to hold to a "No Nukes" policy on their weapons, it also sets up yet another devastating outcome. When Godzilla is successfully re-irradiated in the film, all of his more benevolent qualities are seemingly erased, and, for the first time in the Godzilla franchise, Godzilla becomes a cruel, vengeful god intentionally wreaking havoc on human civilization. (Even in other films where Godzilla was stomping on Tokyo, it was more because he was angry for being woken up, and not because he was being vengeful. In all of the other times, he seems to care little about humans specifically.) This, again, ties back to the main core of the more thematically-minded Godzilla movies of nuclear weapons being always bad all the time. The American 2019 film, again, twists that action in its own narrative towards a different message: Nukes are good when the right people use them.

This was inevitable. Like I said in an earlier post, we saw evidence of this in the Americanized version of Godzilla in 1965, where Dr. Serizawa's motives are changed from no one using cruel bombs to making sure cruel bombs don't fall into the wrong hands. (suggesting that there are good hands in which to place cruel bombs for future use.) But this weird twisting of these Japanese tropes into American usages still rubs me the wrong way (despite cheering like a mad man when Godzilla woke up and started kicking ass again in the film). I'm honestly not sure what to make of it, other than these are indeed American Godzilla films, and the past two have been impactful/fun for me to watch.

But isn't the forbidding of nukes the core aspect of Godzilla, or is the point of Godzilla merely to ease out various culture's fearing about the use of nukes? Does the American series abandoning a darker massage around the nukes also abandon a vital aspect to Godzilla? Or is it merely evidence that it's a Godzilla film made by American filmmakers?

I really don't know myself.

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/18722 ... 0/#p887124
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:28 pm

This movie was a huge disappointment.

Edit: Typed up some thoughts in a Facebook group and I'm just gonna share them here.

To quote another Warner Brothers Godzilla movie: "This is bad. This IS bad."

* The monster stuff sucked. Very hard to follow and not at all involving. They bump into each other and shoot colorful lasers that obscure the frame and every once in a while they'll exhibit some creative ability that isn't explained or commented on. It's very Kawakita-esque but at least you could figure out what he was trying to achieve in his FX direction.

However, the lack of good monster content could be forgivable if the movie's other elements came together. But...

* Did anyone else think this movie was trying very hard to be "edgy" and "cool" and not at all "childish"? A lot of ""OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!""s and even an F-bomb, plus all manner of perverted juvenile references and jokes. (No one in the theater today laughed at *any* of the comic relief. Seriously.) I was embarrassed by most of these jokes, it was top-tier secondhand cringe.

I also have to wonder why they made so many jokes at the expense of the characters' themselves. Like "King Gonorrhea" or Godzilla and Mothra's "fling," or whatever. If you're going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to license these properties and want your audience to enjoy the excessive, bloated crapfest you're making, why not try to show a little respect for those characters? I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't have fun with these characters and their names, just don't act like the material is below you when you do it.

* Killing off recurring characters is shortsighted when there's already such little continuity from the 2014 film, especially for casual fans. It's kind of like killing Cranston's character in the previous film except his death carried purpose and emotional weight. I didn't even realize Sally Hawkins' character was killed until they showed the display of her personnel file, that's how awkwardly shot and edited that sequence was. Serizawa's death was pitiful, too. This is the character that basically speaks for the audience ("we like Godzilla, yes he causes mayhem, but he's doing it for a purpose and he's not our enemy") and after his death there were maybe a few awkward shots of other cast members "mourning" and a few mentions of "do it for Serizawa!" It was very hollow.

* I hated the fan service and nods and winks and all that to the fans. The worst of these was the stupid Oxygen Destroyer, stripped of all its importance and carelessly shoved into the story to set up the next act. They could have used literally any other powerful weapon, conventional or fictitious. This one made me groan.

There were a lot of allusions to other Godzilla movies and honestly it just made me wish I was watching one of them instead.

Ultimately I think they tried to do way too much with this movie. This is a huge problem with tentpole Hollywood bullshit today, because everyone wants to mimic the Marvel formula but no one has the patience to do it right. You can't shoehorn in all of these fantastic elements and expect the audience to buy in. I'm a hardcore Godzilla fan and even I couldn't be lured by what they offered. It was just way too much in too little time and with not enough exposition or thought to make any of it work. Oh for the simplicity of something like Gamera vs. Gyaos.

I won't see this again until it's affordably available on video, and I don't want to form a hasty opinion on it after having seen it only once a few hours ago, but I think this will settle with G98 as one of my all time least favorite Godzilla movies. It's certainly the most unnecessary. Nearly everything done competently in this film was already done more to my liking in most of the 29 live action Japanese Godzilla movies. I think I'd even prefer to watch Final Wars.
Last edited by H-Man on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Baltan II wrote:
Joseph Goodman wrote:They set K:SI in the past, so they couldn't realistically bring any of the survivors forth to KOTM.

Houston Brooks is at the site of Mothra's cocoon when it hatches, he's the one calling to Dr. Chen. Different actor, obviously.

Neat, I didn't catch that

I just recognized the older actor from T2.

Any of them that survived could be alive except probably John C Reilly's character who would be right around 100 if he lived that long. I wouldn't mind seeing an aged up Brie Larson (cant believe I'm saying that...) or Tom Hiddleston in G v K next year, but I doubt we'll get it. Not sure which older actors they could get as stand ins....But that one they did get for Brooks was an excellent choice.

Also, apparently IRL, there are far more living WWII Veterans left than I thought.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivi ... rld_War_II

*edit* Thinking about it, Tim Roth would be pretty good for an older version of Tom Hiddleston, *maybe* Emma Thompson for Brie Larson's character....
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 am

H-Man wrote:everyone wants to mimic the Marvel formula but no one has the patience to do it right. You can't shoehorn in all of these fantastic elements and expect the audience to buy in

This is something I've talked about a little bit with some friends, but ultimately, I have a somewhat slightly different take.

I don't think it has anything to do with making things too fantastical. I don't think that's an issue at all, personally...in fact, I loved the movie's "This is crazy and outlandish and just accept it because that's what it is" attitude and I very much wish MORE movies would take that approach and spend LESS time explaining things.

HOWEVER, what this movie absolutely lacks by lacking the patience and foresight of TRULY going with the Marvel formula is a Kevin Feige to oversee everything and make people THINK about the things they're doing, the references they're making, what they might be setting up, and where it's all headed.

Dougherty does things in this movie because he wants to, because that's what he's always wanted to see happen in a Godzilla movie...but do those things make sense with what has come before and what will come after? Why is the MUTO bowing to Godzilla? Why aren't more of the Titans fighting for dominance? Why is Godzilla aligning with humanity if humanity is destroying nature and mankind is the one destroying nature? Is there going to be payoff for the Oxygen Destroyer? If this were a Marvel movie, or even truly Marvel-esque, with a Feige to oversee, there WOULD be. An item like that wouldn't just be Skyped in and then forgotten, it'd have a consequence in the future. I supposed that COULD still happen, but if you've seen DOugherty's interviews, nobody was thinking about GvK while making this movie. Someone would also have asked Dougherty if it makes sense that like, all the titans and humans just sort of exist happily together at the end or if there should be some actual concern and sacrifice and consequences of such a thing. He threw it in there because it's what he's always wanted since he was a kid, not because he's trying to tell a cohesive story across multiple films going forward. All these non-MCU franchises that are trying to ape its success aren't cohesive enough and have these odd continuity and logic gaps that really hurt them as overall franchises. Granted, it's then easier to take things movie-to-movie but it's no less frustrating when something is set up by one movie or mentioned by another that's just forgotten or taken in an entirely different direction later.

Thomas Tull may have been the reason why Edwards didn't quite get to make the dark menacing Godzilla movie he WANTED, but his departure is the reason why the MonsterVerse is now lacking in cohesion.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse