Disney News Thread

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Disney News Thread

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:47 am

From IESB:
Exclusive: Paramount Versus The House of Mouse

Jamie Williams wrote:So what's the big news? Apparently, there is nothing short of a tug of war going on between Disney and Paramount over the properties Par had already lined up and contractually committed to distribute with Marvel. Sadly, it appears that the Mouse may have found a loophole.

How certain are we of this? Certain Disney publicists have already been telling members of the press that Iron Man 3 will definitely be distributed and branded with the Walt Disney logo. Ask the lawyers for details.
Last edited by mr.negativity on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:12 am

blaaaaarg
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Dai » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:00 am

When I saw the title, I thought this was a new fighting game. "Picard vs Donald. Heaven or hell? Let's rock!"
Dai
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 am

Ugh. For god's sake Disney. Sorry you don't make ALL the money, but could you lay off of a decent franchise.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jon Leo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 pm

I'd rather see Disney vs. Sony and Fox, so they can get the film rights from to The Fantastic Four, X Men, and Spider Man, and give them back to Marvel.
Jon Leo
Little Godzilla

Round 2!

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 am

J.J. Abrams Comments on Turning Down Director’s Chair for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
[quote]“I guess the franchises could go up against each other, but I’m not thinking that far ahead! I’m a huge fan of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi, and the idea of the world continuing is exciting and will be amazing. Kathy Kennedy is a friend and there are no smarter producers. It’s in great hands…there were the very early conversations and I quickly said that because of my loyalty to Star Trek, and also just being a fan, I wouldn’t even want to be involved in the next version of those things. I declined any involvement very early on. I’d rather be in the audience not knowing what was coming, rather than being involved in the minutiae of making them.â€
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:01 pm

That interview from last month is now hilarious now. :lol: They must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse!
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby Henry88 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:09 pm

more like the house of the shrews
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Disney is the Mom who gets custody of the kids, and Paramount is the dad paying alimoney & child support for the forseeable future.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Paramount’s Super Payoff for ‘Iron Man 3′
Par’s percentage adds up on Marvel pics, but the deal it made with Disney will soon expire
Last edited by mr.negativity on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Disney vs Paramount?

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Disney Takes Control of 'Indiana Jones' Franchise
Disney and Paramount have reached an agreement for the future of the Indiana Jones franchise, giving Disney control over all future films.
Rebecca Ford wrote:Disney and Paramount have reached an agreement for the future of the Indiana Jones franchise, giving Disney control over all future films.

Paramount retains rights to the first four films and "will receive a financial participation on any future films that are produced and released," says the statement from the studios.

The Walt Disney Co. completed its acquisition of Lucasfilm, the moviemaking company founded by George Lucas, in December 2012 for a cash payment of $2.21 billion and just under 37.1 million Disney shares.

The first four adventure films in the Harrison Ford-starring franchise -- 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- were all directed by Steven Spielberg and distributed by Paramount.

More to come...
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 am

If we get Han Solo and Indiana Jones in the same shot somehow as a result of this then: Greatest Acquisition EVER.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:57 pm

THR:
'Monster Trucks' Leads Viacom to Take $115M Write-Down
The company is taking the write-down months before the big-budget film opens in cinemas.
Pamela McClintock & Kim Masters wrote:With an estimated production budget of $100 million-plus, one source said the film was intended to be a broad-audience title, but turned out to be more of a kids movie.

Given Paramount's slew of box-office misses this year, Jefferies analyst John Janedis wrote in a Wednesday report that the studio's "issues" were "ongoing." He added: "Viacom indicated there would be a write-down of $115 million related to a future film that will not likely perform to expectations."

And Drexel Hamilton analyst Tony Wible said that the loss "implies that Paramount will have lost about $500 million this year despite a favorable box office, home entertainment and licensing environment."

He added: "The studio is gradually losing its major franchises, and it may be difficult to launch new ones in the increasingly competitive film slate. We are lowering our future margin assumptions for the studio."

Variety:
Rob Moore Out at Paramount Pictures (EXCLUSIVE)
Ramin Setoodeh & Brent Lang wrote:Moore, who didn’t respond to requests for comment, has been in his current job since 2008 (and with the studio since 2005), overseeing Paramount’s worldwide marketing, distribution, digital and television arms, and shepherded tentpoles like the “Transformers” and “Mission: Impossible” franchises, “Interstellar” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.” The studio does not expect to fill Moore’s position.

A source close to the situation said that the decision to ask for Moore’s resignation was made by the board of Viacom, Paramount’s corporate parent.

Moore’s exit comes as the studio is having a particularly turbulent year at the box office, with costly flops such as “Ben-Hur,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” and “Zoolander 2″ piling up. This week, Viacom said in public filings that Paramount would take a $115 million write-off on the still unreleased “Monster Trucks,” which bows in 2017.

Following the exit of Dauman, Viacom’s leadership gave a vote of confidence to current Paramount chairman Brad Grey. Moore was the executive in charge of the day-to-day operations at the studio. He was also integral in maneuvering Paramount’s releases in China, frequently traveling to Asia.

Paramount Delays Rings & Friday the 13th Reboot
Paramount Pictures puts the brakes on two long in-development horror sequels, with both Rings and Friday the 13th delayed by several months.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Disflix?

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Disflix?

Postby XvGojira » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Well they did just sign up a bunch of their stuff on Netflex in September, so I could see them doing this, Just don't spike the price and/or make things price walled.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Netflix has gone downhill ever since they lost the streaming rights to The Warriors a few days ago.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Disney News Thread

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:27 pm

How ‘Bambi’ Got Its Look From 1,000-Year-Old Chinese Art
Daniel McDermon wrote:The Chinese-American artist Tyrus Wong, who died last week at 106, was an incredibly accomplished painter, illustrator, calligrapher and Hollywood studio artist. But as Margalit Fox wrote in her obituary for Mr. Wong, “because of the marginalization to which Asian-Americans were long subject, he passed much of his career unknown to the general public.”

Work on ‘Bambi’
Mr. Wong is most renowned for his essential contribution to Walt Disney’s 1942 animated classic, “Bambi.” While he worked a drudge’s job at the Disney animation studio during the day, he spent nights painting hundreds of watercolors to show his own vision of the film’s look. Mr. Wong’s style emphasized the film’s animal characters in the foreground, evoking the lush surrounding forest with minimal brushwork, gentle washes and slashes of color.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: "I'm Mary Poppins, Y'all"

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:08 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 am

Netflix, ABC Hacker Promises More Leaks: "Hollywood Is Under Attack"
TheDarkOverlord hacking collective claims to have studio films: "We're in the business of earning vast amounts of internet money."

mr.negativity wrote:SONY HACK 2017
Hackers Threaten to Leak Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Unless Disney Pays a Ransom
Jordan Crucchiola wrote:
Earlier today, reports came in that an unnamed, unreleased Disney movie had been stolen from the company by hackers. Company CEO Bob Iger informed ABC employees at a town-hall-style meeting that a movie had been taken, and that it was being held hostage in exchange for a large sum of bitcoin. Deadline is now reporting that the stolen property is the forthcoming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, and that the company is working with the FBI in order to resolve the issue. Iger said that Disney has no plans to pay the ransom, despite the fact that the hackers have threatened to release the entire movie in five-minute-long increments unless the studio antes up with the bitcoin. Parallels are being drawn between this incident and a recent one in which hackers threatened to release the entire fifth season of Orange Is the New Black unless ransom demands where met. Netflix also refused to pay, and the hackers in that case did follow through on their promise, dumping all ten episodes of the upcoming fifth season on the Pirate Bay just last month.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Disney vs Netflix?

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:56 pm

CNBC AUGUST 08, 2017:
Disney will pull its movies from Netflix and start its own streaming services
Michelle Castillo wrote:
  • Disney announced during its latest earnings report it intends to pull all its movies from Netflix
  • It also will launch an ESPN video streaming service in early 2018, including MLB, NHL and MLS content.
  • There's also plans to launch a branded Disney direct to consumer streaming service in 2019

The company announced during its latest earnings report on Tuesday it intends to remove its movies from Netflix.

Instead, Disney plans to launch a branded direct-to-consumer streaming service in 2019 starting in the U.S. and expanding globally.

CEO Bob Iger told CNBC's Julia Boorstin Disney had a "good relationship" with Netflix, but decided to exercise an option to move its content off the platform. Movies to be removed include Disney as well as Pixar's titles, according to Iger. Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain.

The new platform will be the home for all Disney movies going forward, starting with the 2019 theatrical slate which includes "Toy Story 4," "Frozen 2," and the upcoming live-action "The Lion King." It will also be making a "significant investment" in exclusive movies and television series for the new platform.

The company will also launch its own ESPN video streaming service in early 2018. The platform, which will feature about 10,000 sporting events each year, will have content from the MLB, NHL, MLS, collegiate sports and tennis' Grand Slam events.

To power the services, Disney is buying a majority ownership of BAM Tech for $1.58 billion. Disney bought a 33 percent stake in the company, which was spun off from digital media company MLB Advanced Media, in August 2016.

"This represents a big strategic shift for the company," Iger said to CNBC. "We felt that having control of a platform we've been very impressed with after buying 33 percent of it a year ago would give us control of our destiny."

Netflix stock dropped more than 5 percent upon announcement of the news.

THR AUGUST 08, 2017:
Disney to Pull Movies From Netflix, Launch Streaming Service
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:20 pm

^Disney is probably the only entity that I think can pull this off. Otherwise, I think we'll hit the streaming service limit soon.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Ugh.

I hate that the streaming stuff is getting broken up into so many different subscriptions. CBS already refuses to put their shows on Hulu. Now I'm sure abc will be moved over to this Disney service since they're owned by the mouse. I've already got Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime (well, we do that for other reasons, the streaming is just a bonus). But I flat out REFUSE to subscribe to brand specific streaming services. I hope it fails miserably.

At least I can still get disney's stuff from Netflix via the disc subscription if there's something I want to see.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:30 am

io9:
Disney Is Planning to Pull All of Its Movies From Netflix and Start Its Own Streaming Service [Updated]
James Whitbrook wrote:UPDATE 08/08 5.45PM:
Speaking to the press on a media call in the wake of the announcement, Disney CEO Bob Iger noted that while Disney’s own movies would definitely move over to the new services, the rights of the Star Wars and Marvel films are still being decided—and in fact, those movies specifically could stay exclusive to a place like Netflix
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:44 am

^ God, I love physical media! Nothing better than owning a copy of your favorite movie or TV show or book and not having to worry about losing access to it.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:01 am

By the time every company does this, the outrageous cost of cable is going to be cheap.

Well whatever. They had already pulled Ultimate Spider-Man before I could finish it, so I had to download the rest. As such, downloading their other shows won't matter much.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television