Super Monster Gamera Talkback

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby MekaGojira3k » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Yeah, this is easily the worst Gamera film. It's kind of hard to believe people could say otherwise.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"
Check out the Gojicast, because if you won't...who will?
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby rockstarbd82 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:12 pm

GAMERA: SUPER MONSTER

I know alot of you are gonna disagree with me here, but this is one gamera film I can never get sick of.

Unfortunately, I never knew this film, Gamera vs Jiger, and Gamera vs Viras existed until I went to my first G-fest in 2005. The only titles I ever remember seeing as a kid at rental/suncoasts were Gamara: The Invincible, Gamera vs Barugon, Gamera vs Gaos, Gamera vs Gurion, and Gamera vs Zigra. It just always irks me why these films were so hard to find back then when I was younger as some of them like Destroy All Monsters would've been great to have in my collection at that time. But like the old saying: Only in Japan . . . Only in Japan.

Anyways, I was told that it was all just stock footage battles from all the previous films going into it. People also warned me that this was literally one of the final films Gamera's company released before their bankruptcy in the 80s. But I was still curious to see how it would play out.

So I popped it then (and recently now) and everytime, I feel like the young kid I used to be who loved the oldschool gamera!!!

Story wise, this has to be the funnest and most entertaining human story ever in a Gamera film, especially for a kids film too.

The whole theme of good alien women who've made lives on earth trying to protect the planet from a deadly race of aliens is an interesting variation to the whole space theme in monster films. I'm blanking on names now but the lead good and bad alien girls in particular were really good.

The kid also has a very touching role in the plot and is far better than any of the other children characters I've seen in the predecessor films. The fact that he has a pet turtle, realizes it'd be happier in the wild, releases it is kinda a tear jerker. It almost makes me want to believe it indeed became Gamera or not (ok it is far fetched) but also kinda cool on the other hand.

I also really dug the alien cat fight. Don't see that too often in Godzilla/Gamera. (I heard the heroine was actually a famous female wrestler of the time or something.) However if you watch close as the villain girl does those flips, its pretty evident that its a "stunt man" haha.

The alien ship, I think we all can agree, just screams "STAR DESTROYER" from Star Wars. Sure its great for a laugh, but I also say for a knock off, that was a pretty bad @$$ one.

The monster side is pretty much all the gamera battles we've seen before, just edited/condensed down to fit in one film with the new human story. The editing I'll admit was a bit choppy, but still brought back some good memories and introduced some new fights I never got to see as a kid (I never saw vs. Viras or vs Jiger at this point mind you). The only new shots of Gamera I have to assume are from the matte flying shots with the city backdrops. Whether or not the prop was new, it still looked awesome. My only fret would've been to add some new monster footage mixed in with stock footage, but on their dwindling status while making this film, its understandable.

The music here is actually really awesome for the time and for a kids film. The main theme is so upbeat it makes me remember what being a Godzilla/Gamera fan was like as a kid. Even the ending theme was pretty touching as if still trying to lift the mood after Gamera's sacrafice.

Now onto the ending. This was definitely a shocker for me (even as an adult). And its probably a good thing i never saw this as a kid as this would've made me very sad. Seeing it now, its defintely a gutsy way to have Gamera die/go out, however one problem. They should've showed a little more of a close up battle between Gamera and the Star Destroyer. In the poster it depicts the destroyer flying/exploding through Gameras shell sorta. It def would've played out better to see a few more scenes/min of a final last stand battle, but again, no budget, understandable.

My final thoughts is that this film, imo succeeds where Godzilla's Revenge doesn't quite do it for me anymore. I'm sry if that comes off as a bold statement, but its just my opinion. For a stock footage last hurrah of the showa Gamera series (or Gamera: Final Showa Wars if you wanna call it that) this film really delights. Everything about it has an uplifting feel of the era, a fun human/alien story, and the oldschool Gamera we remembered loving in our hayday.
"ooooo GODZILLA is "roasting" KING KONG.!!!!"
rockstarbd82
Godzilla Jr.

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:30 pm

rockstarbd82 wrote:My final thoughts is that this film, imo succeeds where Godzilla's Revenge doesn't quite do it for me anymore.

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content @Xenofauna
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 pm

This film doesn't succeed at all...and it certainly doesn't outdo Godzilla's Revenge.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Holy crap, I totally forgot that I'd already posted this EXACT same line before:

kiryugoji04 wrote:I was actually entertained on a trainwreck sort of level for about twenty minutes or so. After that I very quickly descended into the depths of despair.

Like, literally, I was getting ready to type that word for word before I decided to see if I'd already said my piece on this film before. XD
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:58 pm

Despair....that's a good way to sum up my feelings while watching this film as well
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:17 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Despair....that's a good way to sum up my feelings while watching this film as well

It was the original title actually...

Gamera: DESPAIR

but Super Monster sounded cooler.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:06 am

I've still never seen this. I honestly don't know if I want to spend $20 on the two worst Gamera films. Especially if this one is as bad as it sounds.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 am

Jelly, let me just say that even though I dislike most of the Showa Gamera films (or at least half of them) I'm very glad to own them all.

However, I got them all for free in a contest so I don't think the same rules apply here. :lol:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:57 am

Lol yeah and I'm one of the few that likes Zigra so of course I think you should pick up the last set.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:58 am

I still need to pick mine up, but I'm definitely getting them all. I mean, I own Godzilla X Megaguirus, no excuse about not having these.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 am

GxMegaguirus > Super Monster, Zigra, Viras, and Guiron. Combined.

Hell, I find the the 90s Godzilla films more entertaining than those movies and that's saying a lot. :lol:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:GxMegaguirus > Super Monster, Zigra, Viras, and Guiron. Combined.

Hell, I find the the 90s Godzilla films more entertaining than those movies and that's saying a lot. :lol:
Sounds like I might have to try to see these films before I decide whether or not I want to buy them...if Jared finds Heisei Godzilla more entertaining, and I haven't even bothered to attempt find decent releases of half of those films, then I can't imagine wanting to pay money for something worse.

I guess that stars almost a whole separate discussion: do you feel the need to buy a release JUST because it's a niche kaiju release or do you still base your purchases on the quality of the film? Is there some sort of obligation to "support the franchise" even if the film in question is an utter turd?
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:40 am

kiryugoji04 wrote:GxMegaguirus > Super Monster, Zigra, Viras, and Guiron. Combined.

Yeah, I'm just saying if I own one bad movie, might as well own some more.

And as for how I buy this stuff...even when its not very good as a kaiju film there's usually SOMETHING I like about it. So I'd buy them all, just to have them in case I feel like watching one particular film or another.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:46 am

Dunno. Difficult to say if Jared's opinion on these films should be the last word on the matter. I say, see for yourself. People appreciate these filsm to varying different degrees. I know Kyle for instance love Guiron. Kyle Yount from Kaijucast is fond of that film as well. Viras is pretty decent if you can get past the slide show aspect of it. It was Yuasa's favorite film mind you, but I think that's less because of the quality of the film, and has more to do with that it was the first film I think Yuasa had complete creative control over and got to make how HE wanted to, i.e turning Gamera into a full-fledged friend of all children.

Zigra...well I know it's kind of boring and not well-liked. BUT, I also know that some people on here changed their opinions of the film after viewing it on the new dvd/ high def transfer.

I like and respect Jared, but I rarely if ever agree with him on anything lol. So I have to play the devil's advocate here. I would NEVER say that Megaguirus is better than any film...besides Final Wars. The Hesei Godzilla films have their own unique charm (I STILL think they're better than the Millenium series though they had some great kaiju suits...probably my favorite designs ever of characters like MG, Gigan, Mothra, Baragon and Anguirus). Anywho, this is the Showa Gamera section so back on topic.

NO, you do not have to purchase these dvds to support the fandom, though I can see the reasoning behind that. I just don't think one person buying a dvd is going to matter all that much. Now if we ALL decided not to support kaiju releases then yeah, might be a problem. I am a completionist with kaiju dvds so I feel the need to own most of these film, even if I don't like them all that much, with the sole exception being Death Kappa which is absolutely worthless.

Anyways, hope I was able to put in my two cents without pissing anyone off.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:39 pm

king_ghidorah wrote:Difficult to say if Jared's opinion on these films should be the last word on the matter.

I beg to differ!
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 pm

kiryugoji04 wrote:
king_ghidorah wrote:Difficult to say if Jared's opinion on these films should be the last word on the matter.

I beg to differ!

I knew you'd say that buddy :lol:

BTW Jared, please look at my question in the art section. It's of the up most importance and I know no one ever checks that thread out
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

:lol:
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 pm

And now there are ponies in this thread.
MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Not that a better movie would stop me but given the topic of debate, I think ponies improve the thread immensely. :P
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Mac » Tue May 01, 2012 11:34 am

I honestly get the feeling of despair. The ending is so sad in the most pathetic way.

Also, Megaguirus is easily better than this "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!".
The new Gamera will be worse than Super Monster.
Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 am

king_ghidorah wrote: I say, see for yourself.
I intend to. I just need to find a way to not pay for it the first time out. There's nothing that burns me up like wasting money.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby kiryugoji04 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 am

I just spent an hour and a half recapping the debacle that is the Showa Gamera series to my roommate and I was reminded of how much I despise this film in particular and want it to die a thousand fiery, excruciatingly painful deaths.

Augh.
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 am

Someday Guiron will finally click with you and then all shall be right in the world. I suggest watching it when you're bed ridden, sick, in some sort of fevered delerium...then, and only then, you'll be able to fully appreciate the wonders of that film.

You see, you need a high fever to melt away the logic portions of your brain until your mind has essentially devolved into that of a child's...this is the appropriate way to view Gamera vs. Guiron.
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:24 am

Or drugs...
FTW
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Gamera Films!