[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Favorite Non-Godzilla Toho Fantasy Films • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Favorite Non-Godzilla Toho Fantasy Films

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby zekend01 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm

"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby August » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:30 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby king_ghidorah » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Was Zeiram Toho? Regardless, I really like that film, again, I'm pretty sure I'm a minority in my appreciation for that film though
king_ghidorah
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Green Dragon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Every Showa non-Godzilla film is like a little gem, I love to get lost in the story-telling, the look of the movie, its unrivalled (anywhere or anytime) color/cinematography, the widescreen compositions, the music.... some shine brighter than others, and I'm pretty much in line with the what seems to be the general opinion here..... Frankenstein, Gargantuas, Mothra, Rodan, Mysterians, Gorath.....but I do love them all.

I would also arbitrarily add 1973's Submersion of Japan to the list, even though I have only ever seen the 1974 abortion Tidal Wave. What remained of the Japanese footage though, was pure Toho Showa, albeit early 70's (Japan's depression?) .....I'm currently trying to track it down.

I had a difficult time out the gate with many of the movies, such as King Kong Escapes....like others here, I was enchanted by it as a kid, in spite of my dad and brothers heckling the movie and me for watching it. Then that time came when I tried walking away from these movies, and now I just embrace the damn things like crazy.

:lol:

I even got my ex's nephew into them, and he's 23 now, and still loves them. :)
Green Dragon
Godzilla

Postby Mac » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:09 pm

Mac
Heisei Godzilla

Postby August » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 am

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Re: Favorite Non-Godzilla Toho Fantasy Films

Postby superhedorahsaiyan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:50 am

for me it would have to be Mantango/Attack of the Mushroom People. it was so wonderful, pleasantly strange, and nightmarish. A great slow burn of a movie imo.
superhedorahsaiyan
Baby Godzilla

Postby Giganfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:03 am

Wow, this thread makes me feel old! My preference in these particular films has changed somewhat...

Rodan
The Mysterians
Frankenstein Conquers The World
War of the Gargantuas
Varan, The Unbelievable

...are my top five favorites, based solely on what I enjoy watching the most.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Postby lhb412 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:33 pm

This old thread just makes me realize that I haven't rewatched many of the non-kaiju Honda/Tsuburaya films in ages! I should get on that soon.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Mothra
The Mysterians
Rodan
Matango
Frankenstein vs. Baragon

Those are my favorites. Runners-up would be Atragon, Gorath and Dogora.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!