[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Anybody do any Writing? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Anybody do any Writing?

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Anybody do any Writing?

Postby Pkmatrix » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:19 pm

How did I miss this thread? :|

I've been writing for years, but haven't succeeded in getting anything published. I almost did once, but after I was accepted the publication went under so it never happened. :? Considering the huge changes going on in the industry, though, I'm much more interested in self-publishing on Amazon than going through a Legacy publisher (after taking the time to edit it myself, having a professional editor look at it, having a nice cover commissioned, etc.) - I'm not interested in making lots of money, just in getting my work on people's Kindles.

I used to write short stories, but nowadays I mostly focus on writing novellas. I'm awful at keeping to a schedule or actually FINISHING anything, though, so at this point I've been working on the first draft of a ~25,000 word Fantasy/Western novella for about...oh God, I'm at three years now? Damn. If I were tinkering with it that'd be one thing, but I have a tendency to write most of a draft and then get saddled with an awful case of writer's block in the last 5,000 words or so. For this one in particular, I estimate maybe 2,000 words or so left. Ugh! I should be off writing that instead of posting here. >_>

I wrote a ~15,000 word Fantasy (or is it Adventure?) novelette that I revised to a 2nd Draft early last year, but haven't done anything with it yet. I also wrote a 65,000 word Fantasy novel back in 2006-07, but never successfully revised it and, honestly, don't think it's really publishable (I've been toying with rewriting it as a trilogy of novellas). I wrote a screenplay back in 2010-2011, which I intend to rewrite into a novel at some point. I also have a ~35,000 word fan novella that's been on hiatus over at AlternateHistory.com for a few years, although like my Fantasy/Western it's actually VERY close to being finished.

So, yeah, a lot of work done with nothing to really to show for it. :oops:

Doesn't matter, I love to write! I'm one of those guys whose known all his life that he wanted to be an author, I remember telling my mother that back in Pre-School. I wrote my first short story back in 4th Grade and attempted to write my first book in 5th (it just ended up being a normal length short story, but I was proud of it anyway).

I've toyed with writing a Godzilla fanfic for a long time now...I've actually never written one, so it would an interesting little exercise. I did try to once: I started a story titled "Heir to the Throne" once that involved a restless adult Godzilla Jr. held captive at Ogasawara, a German scientist given permission to study Mothra's temple on Infant Island (a favor granted by the islanders to the President of Micronesia, who had refused to allow the UN to enter Micronesian waters to capture Mothra and confine her to Ogasawara), and the pilot of an American version of Kiryu (and it's AI). I had a plan that the story would've involved aliens, but I never got that far. ^_^()
Pkmatrix
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:19 pm

I'll bite. I've been writing random stuff since I was 7, when I did a one-page story about Star Wars characters on an island full of dinosaurs ruled by Godzilla. I spent most of my formative years working on fanfics and a certain series of stories for another message board. Strangely enough, I wrote my longest work back in Grades 8 and 9: it was 110 pages long (single-spaced) and completely awful. In high school, I graduated to writing somewhat more original fare. I wrote some ridiculous dark fantasy stories and sold them chapter-by-chapter for 50 cents (later 25 cents) to my fellow students, mostly for my own amusement, but people apparently liked them.

Nowadays, I whittle away at poetry and short stories, and hope that I can motivate myself to finish a novel by the end of the year. I guess if you want to see my recent stuff, I can show you an issue of my university's liberal arts journal. I'm part of its editorial board, so basically I helped to rig the system in my own favour. :P Nonetheless, you'll find my stuff on pages 10 and 24 of this PDF: http://stmcollege.ca/imr/wp-content/upl ... 13-PDF.pdf
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:49 am

Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Ernesth100 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:44 pm

:shock:
Join http://www.megalast.webs.com
Its the bridge of Nerdvanna.

http://signavatar.com/32188_s.gif <There are so many monster pics in here.(Refresh)
Ernesth100
Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 pm

I haven't been to the forums in a while, but sure would like to see this thread stay alive. :) Figured I'd share some recent stuff.

http://fav.me/d6pixno
I got really inspired by the Oppenheimer Godzilla 2014 trailer back when it was leaked and I immediately went and wrote this. It's got nothing to do with Godzilla (haha), but it's something I meant to have capture the same feeling of helplessness at seeing how damned big Godzilla was in the trailer.

Shortly afterwards I decided I wanted to write a story for Halloween and post for free on my dA, so after reading about the Elisa Lam disappearance and the "Elevator Game" urban legend that's kinda connected to it, I went and wrote this:
http://fav.me/d6sjylt

They're both really kind of experimental and probably weird and hard to "get," so I decided just to post 'em instead of try to sell them.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Koo-Vah Kanzuru » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 am

MZ's resident TK resident

Koo-Vah Kanzuru
Godzilla Egg

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:05 am

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR DEADERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I made an account on Wattpad a few months ago, mostly to see how things work on there. It's a platform for writers of every stripe to post their work. Admittedly, when you go looking for stuff to read on there, Sturgeon's Law is in full effect. (I stick to the public domain classics, personally.) I have three things of my own up there now. "Malantha" is weird poetry, "The Whippoorwill Queen" is a short story of magical realism, and "Red War" is a rather grim short story with a kaiju. If you feel so inclined (and if the site doesn't force you to make an account first - I've never been quite clear on that point), take a look:

http://www.wattpad.com/user/Bruce-Parker
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Last edited by Henry88 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm

I've got something coming out on the 23rd,

Moonage Daydream is a space opera which wallows in the tropes and trimmings of Mecha, Kaiju, Kyodai Hero, and other genres.
The year is 2525. The Kaijin, an ancient extraterrestrial enemy which drove humanity from Earth has gone away. So too have gone the Hikyojin, the beings of light which appeared to save humanity from extinction.
The System advances, and we join an unlikely group of heroes. Freyja Alladiin, a 16 year old girl and her friends who make up the DMD (Die Monster Die!) a Techframe band which competes in Mecha fighting competitions.
Adolescence is hardly without its challenges and soon a figure from Freyja’s past presents her with a destiny far beyond the want of a 16 year old trying to figure out life. Matters are complicated further as governmental conspiracies spanning the Solar System unfurl, and Freyja and company run into space pirates, cyborg gangsters, giant monsters, and mechanized assassins!
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 pm

^ Congrats Meka!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:31 pm

^^ That's awesome. I take it there's a good bit of David Bowie influence in this space opera.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:26 am

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 am

The Paperback is out now! I had to fight with formatting issues with the createspace thing, but it's more or less done. (Also I'm very tired of fighting with it.)

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:38 am

Awesome! Ordered a paperback
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 am

Not recently, but I did write some stuff in High School.
Including a story about Freddy vs Jason vs Micheal Myers (I graduated in 1990).
Sometimes I wonder if somebody found that story & modified it for that Freddy vs Jason movie (I had Freddy win cause I thought he was cool).

Oh I guess those "award winning" walkthroughs for the various DS LEGO games I posted on GameFAQs count as well.
I won an amazon gift card for a couple of them, that's why I say award-winning.

I gave up on doing them, cause it's rather difficult to describe where to go without pictures.
Plus other people do a great job of doing video walkthroughs of those games now.

I suppose typing stuff up to post on various message boards counts as well.
I seem to get a bit carried away sometimes when typing.
Maybe I feel like I can express my thoughts/feelings better this way than talking?
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion