[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Toonami thread • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Toonami thread

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Toonami thread

Postby lhb412 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm

My overview of the current Toonami lineup:

Samurai Jack - incredible! An artistic achievement that's hopefully the beginning in terms of their original projects.
Dragon Ball Super - It's like DBZ never ended! Nice balance of the humorous aspects that make the Dragon Ball franchise (in my opinion) that sometimes got forgotten during DBZ's run when the focus was only fighting and training to become stronger.
Dragon Ball Z Kai - I'm really interested in this, because as a teen I actually stopped watching during the Buu Saga so in a few more episodes this'll all be new to me.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Even when I lose track of the story (I tend to see every other episode) I enjoy this. In fact, I'm not sure actually seeing every episode and being up to date with every aspect of the plot would make the series any less crazy than it already is.
Tokyo Ghoul - teens at school with powers, this time a strong horror element. I feel like I've seen this show a million times before and I'm not sure I enjoyed it those times. Nice theme music, though.
Hunter X Hunter - I wish I saw this series as a 12 year old, because I would have loved it then. Now? It's pretty okay.
Gundam Unicorn - Honestly; a bit dull. Rehash of a lot of Gundam things we've seen before. Like the default mode for the Unicorn, though.

Are they still airing Naruto? I change the channel whenever Naruto is on.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:46 am

There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:59 pm

^In Japan they split it up into a bunch of 22 minute episodes last year.

Old Toonami ended in 2008, but it had a surprise return in 2012 for Adult Swim's April Fools broadcast. It was just a one-off, but positive reception had it return as a permanent fixture of Adult Swim's Saturday night, replacing their long running yet identity-less anime block. They're doing quite well, bringing back Samurai Jack for a fifth season to wrap up the story and coproducing new seasons of FLCL.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Nice. I Was not aware of that. Well that's good for fans of the format. My major favorites were the various Gundam series, but I have those all on DVD. I will credit Toonami with introducing me to The Big O, but again I already have that on DVD. Was never a fan of anything Dragonball, or most of the other Anime they showed. I know Samurai Jack is enjoying new episodes, so that's good for fans of it...Guess I'll have to peak in occasionally to see if they ever get anything that interests me, but I', glad its still going for what its worth
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:50 am

Loving all the classic bumpers and promos they're airing to celebrate the anniversary. Today they aired the famous ad from '99 promising they were finally getting new DBZ episodes after running and rerunning the rescued-from-syndication run so many times.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am

Lupin returns to Toonami tonight with the English dub of the recent Lupin III Part 4 series!

This is really cool. I now know that when Adult Swim aired Lupin III Part 2 it was something of a failure, but I dug it back in the day and I knew it was such an iconic series that I was happy to be exposed to it. Hope the fact it's a new show this time (the dated animation was probably a big turn-off all those years ago) and anime fans are generally more aware of the character now bodes well this time!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm

There will be a FLCL 2/3 panel at Anime Expo on July 2.
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 am

Love how TOM and the ship have been all grungy and beat-up since they got trashed in the last Toonami event. I suppose in the next event everything'll get a tune-up or upgrade?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:01 pm

You've got to love the frank honesty of Toonami's 2002 review of the Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee video game.

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 am

https://twitter.com/c2e2/status/9617110 ... 15/photo/1
this summer (most likely to replace Kai), now for something to really complain about.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, FLCL was a total non-event and just showed what a folly it was to try to replicate the original. But hey: Samurai Jack was an utter success so they're even in terms of karma!

Toonami's now expanded, too. However, the addition of the one hour Naruto block (which I never got into) and Attack on Titan (which I've never liked) has left me with long stretches of the block where I tune out and do something else. Thankfully, the addition of Mob Psycho 100 and Megalobox soon will make it a bit more dense in things I'm interested in.

Oh, and they've started DBZ Kai over again and there's not bigger blast from the past then watching the Saiyan Saga again for the first time since I was in middle school!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Toonami & Crunchyroll

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:25 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 pm

I only watch the first few hours anyway, so this is fine by me. Licensing and airing 6 hours worth of shows in addition to producing (co-producing?) six new upcoming shows apparently had them a bit overextended.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Hmph, the only bad part of the new schedule is that JoJo is still on too late.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Until Sword Art Online Alicization comes back, I am not really interested in what Toonami does.
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Anime & Manga