[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Idea for a coffee table Book of Kaiju • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Idea for a coffee table Book of Kaiju

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Idea for a coffee table Book of Kaiju

Postby Gojira69 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:53 pm

I have an idea to throw out there in order to get your creative input…

I don’t need to tell you all how much fun it is to be a kaiju fan, but almost everyone I know personally doesn’t 'get it' and I find it a little hard to introduce them to the fandom and the films.

So I was thinking... since creating personal books has become so easy in our day, I might like to create a coffee-table-type, full-color Book of Kaiju as a way for me to introduce people who come to my place to the wonders of kaiju films.

Any ideas you might have on what to include in such a book toward this end would be appreciated…

Here’s some ideas I’m considering…

A full page for each movie with an English language movie poster, in color, and maybe just a little info about the movie but not a lot.

There’d be a Godzilla section, of course, a Gamera section, a classic Toho section as well as other film companies.

It goes without saying this would be a not for profit project.

The title might be “Stomping Tokyo”, or "The Little Big Book of Kaiju" or something else.

Maybe this would help me introduce some folks to the universe of Japanese giant monster movies.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Re: Idea for a coffee table Book of Kaiju

Postby klen7 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:22 am

I don't know of anything exactly like this in English, but you may want to check out Sean Linkenback's book "The Art of Japanese Monsters" - it has posters from all the franchises and has a nice presentation. The focus is completely on posters and advertising rather than shots from the films, but it's one of the better English books on the genre that is primarily illustration based
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 am

Taschen's "Japanese Cinema" coffee table book has a very nice chapter on kaiju cinema, at least. A coffee table overview of the genre WOULD be a great thing to have. I love me a good coffee table book.
Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:43 pm

I'm leaning toward now just a collection of the movie poster art over the years from each of the movies. A conversation piece that could evolve into "Oh, I have that movie on disc, want to see it?"
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:23 am

The book is too in depth. I need something more superficial. The idea here is to generate conversation, not to geek out. Besides, A hard copy of Sean's book goes for several hundred dollars now, and I woud want a hard back copy.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Sooo, something like John Landis' "Monsters in the Movies" book? But just kaiju?

(btw, everyone needs Monsters in the Movies. It's great)

And Ragone's Tsuburaya book, while ostensibly a breezy bio and overview of his work, is loaded with images and very much a 'coffee table book.'
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print