[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
TECH HELP NEEDED... USB-to-HDMI adapters? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

TECH HELP NEEDED... USB-to-HDMI adapters?

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

TECH HELP NEEDED... USB-to-HDMI adapters?

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:38 am

Have 2 USB ports on the back of my HDTV but both are in use. Have two more USB-corded mini hard drives I want to connect. The TV has 2 open regular HDMI ports & a couple of RS-232C ports.

Question: Does anyone make adapters for these... female USB to either a full-size HDMI or RS-232C ??

I have found male USB to mini-HDMI, but nothing else. Thanks.
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Re: TECH HELP NEEDED... USB-to-HDMI adapters?

Postby william newell » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Amazon has a few listed. Never used one myself, so I can't vouch for the quality. Perhaps someone here knows more?
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Would a USB hub work for your situation? Anker is a well regarded brand and they offer several USB hubs which you can buy from them or through Amazon.

Anker's page for USB hubs: https://www.anker.com/products/taxons/114/Data-Hub
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:10 pm

My TV has 2 dedicated USB drives, named (obviously) DRIVE 1 and DRIVE 2. Never considered a USB hub before now! Just wonder how my TV will recognize between the stuff plugged in?

I have two 2TB external drives I want to plug in... one for movies, the other for TV shows, Both are almost full and I'm only about 2/3 of the way done converting my TV show library to digital. And I haven't even started transferring my Blu-rays to digital format. 4TB drives - powered from the USB plug itself will NOT work. They just go 'clunk-clunk-clunk' but will not read and are inaccessible. The USB-powered 2TB drives work & read fine... so I just have to double the plugs/hook ups. ;-)

I have 4 HDMI ports, 2 in use (one for my Blu-ray player, the other to my soundbar) that could be used IF decent connectors exist. Most I've seen are for charging batteries ONLY. I will give one of those USB hubs a try. They aren't too expensive. We'll see what happens.

Thanks! 8)
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:03 am

Using an HDMI to USB won't work because USB doesn't output enough bandwidth to support video and audio. I would recommend the HUB it should recognize it just fine.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am

So... I bought a 4 outlet hub. Worked fine in my computer, as expected. Everything I tried was immediately recognized and read with no problems.

In my HDTV? Not so much. Obviously it's not the same as a computer, so I was hoping for (but not honestly expecting) a miracle. The TV only acknowledges one USB stick/drive at a time, rather than 'seeing' them all and allowing you to choose. The good thing is that the hub that I bought thru Amazon has separate powers button for each of the ports, so I can still plug in multiple drives. I just have to turn off the ones not in use but at least now I won't have to constantly plug & unplug, reducing wear & tear on the interface portion of my USB thumb sticks & external multi-TB drives.

So it sorta worked. :wink:
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Return to General Discussion