[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Favorite Movies of 2017 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Favorite Movies of 2017

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Favorite Movies of 2017

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:20 am

I still have a few movies left to see, most notably The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri in terms of what I think might actually make my list for the year, but we're only a few days away from the end of the year, so what'd you see this year that really caught your eye?

My Top 15 (as of now, fluid if I see anything that is better)

15.) Patchwork
14.) mother!
13.) Baby Driver
12.) Blade Runner 2049
11.) Brigsby Bear
10.) Split
9.) The Girl with All the Gifts
8.) It
7.) Kong: Skull Island
6.) Brawl in Cell Block 99
5.) Wonder Woman
4.) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
3.) The Big Sick
2.) Logan
1.) War for the Planet of the Apes

This was a GREAT year. I left off movies that mid-way through the year I was pretty sure would be in my top 10 (I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore), movies that I thought were damned good (Wind River), movies that I personally really enjoyed (Spider-Man Homecoming), and movies that kinda hurt me to leave off (The Devil's Candy). I could have done a top 20 and still had some snubs. Paddington 2, A Dark Song, Gerald's Game, 1922, Raw, The Blackcoat's Daughter...it wasn't just the blockbusters that busted MY blocks this year.

Yeah, there were some disappointments (The Last Jedi being the MOST notable, as it probably wouldn't even make my top 25 for the year...but also I was really looking forward to John Wick Chapter 2, Ghost in the Shell, Lego Batman, Get Out, Colossal were all movies I was looking forward to big time as the year began and though I actually enjoyed all of them to one degree or another, none really rose up to meet the challenge the way my top 15-20 did), and I'm pretty darn sure that the Oscar buzz is gonna swirl around some movies that I found (or would find) fairly insufferable. Lady Bird, The Disaster Artist, Coco, The Killing of a Sacred Deer...none of them tickled my fancy, and there was some absolute hot-piping garbage (Alien: Covenant and The Snowman being two of the most egregious examples)...

BUT, I can't remember the last time a year delivered on this many blockbusters and still had small little surprises. Feels like we usually get one or the other but to have a year where my top 6 features an R-rated film, a romantic comedy, and a prison exploitation film alongside 3 more typical blockbuster films speaks a lot to the variety that could be found out there this year if you looked around.

Hell, I didn't even mention the new Miike movie (Blade of the Immortal), or Kathryn Bigelow's extremely powerful commentary on race (Detroit, which I wasn't expecting to like but totally won me over in a big way), or that McG actually made a really fun horror-comedy (The Babysitter), or the movie with Jake Gyllenhaal doing some of his best work ever (Okja).

It's been a phenomenal year to be a movie fan. That's great because it's kinda been a terrible year to be like...a human being who exists in this world and is even vaguely aware of current events.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Re: Favorite Movies of 2017

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 am

I'm going to try to see Darkest Hour before I finalize my list. Plus, I'm rewatching a few of my favorites from the year to see if they are indeed worthy of being on the top 10. Tonight we watched War for the Planet of the Apes, tomorrow Logan. Saturday will be Logan Lucky. Yesterday we did Lego Batman, and while I still loved it, it won't make the list.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I wouldn't venture to compose such a list because I intend to spend the next few weeks getting to the 2017 films I've missed!

I know this: it'll take something specatucular to knock Get Out and Baby Driver from my top two spots (I hope Shape of Water will join them).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 am

LOVED
Thor Ragnarok - A lot more fun than GoTG2 just due to characters being likable, looking forward to a second viewing
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Tragic and funny with great performances

REALLY LIKED
John Wick 2 - I knew this couldn't live up to the first, but it was still wonderfully choreographed, bring on John Wick 3.
War On Everyone - The weakest of John Michael McDonagh's films, but still a darkly comedic modern morality tale in the face of a nihilistic world
Get Out - this movie is even stronger on a second viewing
I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore - a dark comedic film in the vein of Saulnier
Kong Skull Island - Lots of big monsters
Baby Driver - I want more movies like this
War for the Planet of the Apes - Another solid entry
Atomic Blonde - Completely mis-marketed, but joins "Hanna" as a more cerebral action flick
Blade Runner 2049 - I could skip the Deckard bits, still not sure how i feel about Blade Runner as a franchise, but high concept and hi production sci-fi
The Foreigner - Jackie Chan with a decent amount of dramatic gravitas to ground it

STILL WANT TO SEE
The Beguiled, The Shape of Water, Okja, Valerian, Brigsby Bear, Logan Lucky, Hitman's Bodyguard, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Suburbicon, Spiderman Homecoming, Beyond Skyline
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:17 am

Trust me, you DO NOT want to watch Valerian unless you need to cure some insomnia.

Logan Lucky is a must see though and Hitman's Bodyguard was a fun plotless movie.

No idea why anyone would make a sequel to a shitfest that was Skyline though.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:35 am

Logan Lucky is fine.
Valerian isn’t very good.
Skyline? The original is fine. It has a really garbage frustrating ending but it’s dumb fun until then
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby klen7 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 am

My main interest in Beyond Skyline is the casting of Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhain (although they were in Force Awakens and that was a completely wasted opportunity).

I forgot to include "Bright" on my list. I know it's getting eviscerated in the reviews but it felt like a crowd pleaser to me. I really liked the world building and would love a sequel.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 am

Logan Lucky is a Soderbergh movie through and through. Including kinda mediocre chars.
Characters, too.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:34 pm

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 pm

I saw so much stuff, listing it would probably be more like punishment. To read and write
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:13 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:18 pm

klen7