[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
"no physical media" • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

"no physical media"

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

is going all Digital a good idea?

yes
5%
no
95%

Total votes : 22

Re: "no physical media"

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:41 pm

In order to have a truly great selection of films for streaming you'd have to have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, etc. Even then it'd be incomplete. Netflix has lost many of their rights to shows and movies, and seems primarily concerned with creating their own content instead of procuring a library of stuff from other companies. In that way they become less like a replacement of cable and more like a single cable network.

I do think that Hulu is probably the best streaming site to subscribe to, though, because of the breadth of shows and the Criterion Collection (including many films they have the rights to but have yet to release on home video).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 pm

I actually have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime. Had Netflix and Hulu for years an just got Amazon prime recently cause they had a good sale on membership and with two kids in diapers the subscribe-and-save program for things like diapers, wipes, paper towels, etc. pays for the subscription fee in no time.

That being said, I STILL subscribe to Netflix disc in the mail service because there are still a LOT of movies that I can't get streaming and want to watch but don't want to buy. And even though the Netflix disc library has dwindled over the years (a lot of the more obscure films go out of print and then they can't get replacement discs such as Matango for an example), they still offer a plethora of films that can't be seen any other way.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:53 pm

The problem with Hulu is its commercials. I get having commercials when it is free, but paying for a subscription and having commercials is completely unacceptable. The other issue is that all of these different streaming services add up. Hulu, Netflix, HBO Go, Crunchyroll, Funimation, Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc. By the time all is said and done, you are paying $200+ a month when you also think about how much you are paying for the internet. That is ridiculous. You should be able to get all you want under one network, so to speak.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Yeah, the commercials are a drag. But they are now offering a commercial free version... for a higher monthly rate....

But, for me, it is still a significant savings over cable. But that's only taking into account the price of Internet, Netflix (even with discs), and Hulu. I don't factor Amazon prime into the equation b/c I didn't get it for the streaming service, that just came along with the deal. And, honestly, I have yet to find anything on Amazon prime streaming (that doesn't cost extra on top of the membership already) that I want to watch that isn't available on Netflix or Hulu (or both - I've noticed overlap in what's available on each service is a growing issue...).

But for the Internet, Netflix and Hulu I'm paying about $80 a month. And I'm going to be switching Internet providers soon (again...) because my promo deal ran out and they won't give me another one. So once I switch and get into a lower price point again, the cost will be even less (probably around $50-$60 a month).

And for the money, I get WAY more entertainment value out of the streaming services than I did a bunch or random cable channels, most of which rarely air anything I actually WANT to watch.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:15 pm

For me, we are paying $85 a month for internet, HD cable, DVR, and HBO, and since we are watching a lot more TV these days than we have ever done so before (Simpsons, Flash, Arrow, iZombie, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, Star Wars Rebels, and some other stuff), the price is worth it because it would have been $75 to just have the internet alone. Not sure how that works, but that is the deal with got for two years.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 pm

Prior to 2009 we were paying somewhere on the order of $65 a month for DirecTV, (most channels sans premiums) and internet was "free" (using a neighbors open wifi... hee hee). But then we moved to an apartment in January 2010. The position of our apartment was such that DTV could not get line of sight, even one of their best techs couldn't get it to work (patio faced north, and no way to get the signal around the building), so instead of switching to Comcast, we said forget TV all together. Unfortunately we found, that Comcast was the only internet provider specifically for our apartment, so we got "just internet" for $30 a month for 2 years. Then of course the price jacked up to $65. For just internet that was insane, so when I called to cancel, they told me if I added basic cable, it would go down to $50 a month. So $50 a month for basic & high speed internet, that was ok.

Then this past March we moved to a house. We were able to ditch Comcast, and go with the local phone companies internet, which is $25 a month. Not as fast as Comcast, but it streams fine most of the time, and I don't notice any difference with my computers or devices. So all in all--- $25 for internet (where we can stream any TV shows, even waiting a week is no big deal) ,and $8 for Netflix is not bad. Amazon Prime is one annual fee of around $100.00, but I get my moneys' worth out of free shipping, I have to admit, I have used their streaming service maybe once a month. I noticed the Back to the Future trilogy only lasted a single month on Prime... grr...I did have Hulu for a while, but I figured paying 8 bucks a month to watch stuff 24 hours after airing, or wait a week and get it for free, I don't mind waiting a week.

I do agree that streaming services need to only be adding content, not constantly adding & taking away. I am seriously looking at a Roku device, but that will probably be a spring 2016 purchase. I want the Simpsons World app, but since I only have internet, and no cable provider, I don't want to purchase something I have no way of accessing.

I am still ticked that FOX is not producing any more Simpsons DVD or Blu Ray sets. not that the season 17 & on episodes are that great, but I am a completest, and like others have said. I am not going to pay $30-$40 for a TV season of something I do not physically own.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:04 pm

Amazon seems yo update the stuff they have where as Netflix just sticks with the first version they get. Amazon Prime has the HD versions of Star Trek: Next Gen and (most of) the X-Files. And I think Amazon has a bit better of selection when it comes some ow budget horror. I watched the Rift on there, they also had the Wes Craven TV movie Chiller and a few other things I put on my "I should watch during Halloween but totally watched X-files and Law and Order instead" list.

And I heard from a friend that Hulu will be offering subscriptions to other channels (I think it Showtime was mentioned) on top of their subscription stuff.

I do hope more channels start doing what others are with releasing episodes online or separating themselves from cable subscriptions like HBO GO. I'd honestly pay $10 per channel for my personal ala cart "cable network". I'd be paying basically the same I would if I paid for cable (our apartment complex gives us free cable) but I wouldn't have a handful religious networks, C-Spans, all the sports channels I don't watch, the shopping networks, and what not to click through to watch the stations I want and do watch.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby superhedorahsaiyan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 am

I like having access to a physical disc. Am I enjoying streaming? yes, but it should not replace physical media imo
superhedorahsaiyan
Baby Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:11 pm

^ I got into the habit of buying too much - and thus selling or trading in half the things I bought. Now I rely on streaming and my (incredibly stocked) public library. When I watch or read something I really really love I write it down in my 'to buy' list.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am

I prefer to buy everything because even if I don't watch it for a while, I have it at my disposal to watch whenever I want. I don't have to worry about whether or not it is available on that streaming service I currently have. I got rid of some BDs I wish I never had and now those movies are out of print.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to General Discussion