[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Bunch of technical questions regarding computers, HDTVs, and • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Bunch of technical questions regarding computers, HDTVs, and

Talk about anything on your mind!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby hanshotfirst1138 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Have a new computer. Don't want to sync iPhone because it has a bunch of old photos synced from old compromised computer which was hacked. I'd have SWORN I backed up my pictures on the external hard drive I used to keep most of my iTunes music, but can find it there. Outside of sending these hundreds of pictures via e-mail and then saving them onto the PC hard drive out of order since they'd all dated from when I took them and of like to keep it that way, can I do anything else? Having trouble with the Podcasts too. Why does Apple no longer have a download all option?! I keep trying to put them in from the hard drive, and the computer gets scrambled and can't seem to find the source files for them. I've tried asking about the stuff on Apple's forums, and I can't find any information from them, because apparently no on feels like answering.

I realize this is an incredibly stupid question, but as I still live with my parents, it is technically their computer. As they paid for, I have no right to complain or ask for specific features, but I want to know if the computer is capable of handling HD, and if there was any method of connecting the DVR to it to preserve some recordings I have which are not available on video. How would I tell this?

On another note, the fact that Netflix advertises super HD, I have so far been unable to get my Blu-ray player or my father Smart TV to buffer up to 1080 P, even though they are both advertised as being capable of doing it. Is it possible to get the Wi-Fi to do it without anything that cable connected to the device? It's possible to do without a VPN (which I do not want to pay for). I have heard that most ISPs will not admit it, but they throttle streaming services. When I used Vudu, sometimes it is full 1080p, but it frequently blurs. How can I tell how fast the Wi-Fi is going? When I contacted AT&T via their customer chat, they sent me to a website, and told me that the speed at which my modem was running and my wife I wore it was running more optimal, but I do not remember what that number was, or if they were simply telling me when I should get better. I'm a major digital skeptic (RIP Kodak :(), but if they want me to adopt did you want to see you soon and streaming over physical media, one of the first steps would be figuring out how the hell to solve problems like this one the data loads are so
heavy.

Also, in Firefox, I have set the settings to clear history when it leaves except for active logins, but for some reason, even though it saves the passwords, it doesn't keep me logged in. Previously, when I had Firefox, I was able to close Firefox and clear all of the history but keep everything out which I was logged into. Also, is there anyway to put the iPhone backups I have saved on the external hard drive back into iTunes? Just for precautionary purposes. I like having them around. Incidentally, I bought the Command and Conquer First Decade DVD, and it keeps freezing on me, and Yuri's Revenge locks up and won't play at all. It's probably because it's only designed to run with a version of Windows which is much lower than the one which I can we have, Windows 8, but is there anything to be done about it? I also have to transfer my old Firefox favorites.

And as regards other non-music, Apple's podcasts app is terrible! Trying to delete something off of the phones hard drive causes it to get to leave it in the computer, and vice versa, then I have to re-download it again. Or delete it off of the phone and it simply come back. I don't get why can't be like my old iPod, simply download everything on the computer, transferred to the MP3 device, and then uncheck the selection and re-sync, and it goes away. It's irritating as hell, I don't know what Apple were thinking, or perhaps they simply weren't. And why is there no longer a "download all" button on the podcasts in iTunes? This particular podcast has hundreds of episodes, downloading them by hand would not be entertaining.

Also, I picked up Disney's World of Wonder disc, how long will calibrating my cheap HDTV take? A half hour? An hour? The blues and reds keep bleeding, for starters. It's an inexpensive LED, I'd love a plasma, but don't have the money, and won't have the chance come the end of the year. It also has a bajillion subsettings in addition to the regular controls, and I don't know what the hell they do. And that's not even counting the SRS sound, which much be useful if I was actually in the center of the room. Anyhow? Anyone done this before? How long did it take?
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death
hanshotfirst1138
Little Godzilla

Re: Bunch of technical questions regarding computers, HDTVs,

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:06 pm

You should be able to log into your apple account on the new computer and transfter your photos that way.

As for the 1080p super HD thing you have to have a fast enough internet speed to use it. I think it's 5 Mbps to check to see how fast your internet connection is just google speedtest and choose which ever site you feel like. If you do have a sufficient speed then your TV might be to far away from your router so you'd need to get a range extender.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:12 am

The photos were on the hard drive in Windows Live Photo Viewer, they weren't backed up in the "cloud."
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
hanshotfirst1138
Little Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 am

Then the only way to retrieve them is to e-mail them to yourself.

As for your Firefox not remembering you its all about cookies, websites use cookies and after awhile they expire.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby hanshotfirst1138 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am

E-mailing them to myself one at a time could take hours :(. Sigh. I guess it's the only way :(.

Just got off the phone with Apple. They said that because they are backed up in the cloud, there is an anything they can do, have a nice day, bye. Either email them all to myself, or I find some other method of doing this. As for my music, I loaded it all onto the hard drive on the old computer off of CDs, then started on external hard drive. When I moved it from the external hard drive to the new computer, and now none of the files will play. I do have the CDs as back up so that I can load them all back in, but not only are there hundreds of them, they also all had lyrics, album artwork and other things I'd really rather not spend day trying to redo :(.
hanshotfirst1138
Little Godzilla

Postby hanshotfirst1138 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:29 am

And so the adventure continues! I got the old tower back, and there's good news and....other news. Figured out what I was doing wrong as regards the music: moved it from the hard drive into iTunes without moving into the music folder first. I'm a moron, I know. Got that pretty much sorted out, and the good news is that once I got it over to the new computer, I had to fix a few albums' artwork and rearrange a few things, but otherwise, things mostly went well. The photos, however, a bit of a different story. When I put them onto the external from the old tower, they were all sub-folders within the main folder. I loaded all of the sub-folders into the main folder on the new computer, and here's where things become strange. They were all sorted by the date they were taken, and the majority of them synced the way they used to, but some of them were grouped differently on the iphone during sync, listed as the day they were loaded onto the phone instead of the day they were taken. It's very peculiar. Anyone have the slightest clue?

On a tangential note as regards the music itself, is there any way to preserve the playlists? I can recreate them in the new iTunes account, but the Sherlock Holmes audiobook series I have has all of the stories out of order, so putting them back in order would be a gigantic pain in the neck. And while this probably wouldn't matter to a normal, well-adjusted person who gets laid once in a while ;), can you manually set the number of plays on a song? It's a small thing, but it sub-grouped some stuff that way in the old iTunes account, so I was wondering if I could tell the new computer what said numbers were? I could check them and set songs on repeat, but that'd not only be a pain in the neck, but the final definitive proof that I have too much free time :D.
hanshotfirst1138
Little Godzilla

Return to General Discussion