[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Any Toho Actor Cameos This Time? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Any Toho Actor Cameos This Time?

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Any Toho Actor Cameos This Time?

Postby LoneWolfandCub » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Akira Takarada was supposed in the 2014 "Godzilla" but ended up on the cutting room floor. Will there be any cameos for G: KOTM?
LoneWolfandCub
Godzillasaurus

Re: Any Toho Actor Cameos This Time?

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Well, considering that the publisher/editor of "G-Fan" magazine printed this lovely article after Akira Takarada's cameo was cut from G'14, I don't imagine that Legendary will even attempt to include veteran actors in cameo appearances ever again.

"No true G-fan forgets his first one." Good grief. :roll:
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Good god. We suck.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Lees has also effectively run Kaneko away from the fandom.

Also, I forget who it is, but whoever is the guy who is like, Takarada's rep in the US blew up the cut cameo into a HUGE incident...even after Edwards apologized and wrote Takarada a letter and Takarada accepted the apology and was good with it because he understands how movies work.

This guy spread a NASTY story about how Edwards and Legendary were [insert lots of nasty adjectives] and Takarada was angry and the whole thing was a fiasco.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:29 pm

^ Well, thankfully the kind of centralized fandom like that doesn't really exist or matter anymore. I mean, the biggest thing Lees has his hand in is G-Fest, and I know for a fact that a lot of people who go to G-Fest have only the foggiest notion of who he is or what he does!

Unfortunately, this means the majority of bad actors in fandom these days are likely to be rogue, independent operators acting on their own free will... wait, I think that might be worse.

PS - Takarada is such a pro it's mind-boggling to think anyone could believe he doesn't understand how the freaking movie industry works. That's right folks, a man who starred in his first movie in 1954 and is still working today clearly doesn't have a realistic grasp of showbiz.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby KaiserGhidorah » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 pm

J D Lees favorite film of the Millineum series was Godzilla vs Megaguiras so yeah, doesn't surprise me he would say something like he did in the article posted above.
KaiserGhidorah
Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 pm

I love the dig that Edwards himself didn't even include the scene on the DVD. Perhaps J.D. doesn't understand that directors of Hollywood blockbusters generally don't have complete control over the home video releases of their films?

Fans like this don't even need the clout of their own publication to cause damage. Just look at the recent NECA snafu. ("NECA promised we'd get figures of every monster.")
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 pm

As bad as Godzilla fans can be... at least we're not as bad as Star Wars fans lol.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 pm

^ I hope the fact that the Godzilla franchise is so constantly rebooted and reformulated inoculates it slightly from the kind of hate that other franchises generate. After such wild and diverse and diversely appreciated entries as the 1998 film, Shin Godzilla, and the anime trilogy it's my hope that a Godzilla fan will be more likely to give a "no big deal" to a version that they don't like.

Of course, there's no way of telling about things like this.

But it's important to remember that hardcore fans are a small sliver, and to take Star Wars as an example: 99.9% of actual Star Wars consumers are just average folks who happen to really like the movies and maybe have an action figure or Lego set or two and are blissfully unaware of the seeder side. Likewise, most of the folks online I see talking about their love of Godzilla movies are more casual and have never taken a look at a fan forum or Facebook group or whatnot. They just watch the movies, look at Wikipedia for their information, and will point out a badass piece of fanart every once in awhile.

I also don't think that Godzilla fans are organized enough to be much more than just annoying. Of course, that doesn't preclude something akin to comicsgate where you basically had hate groups and fringe elements glomming onto a nerd fight and inflating the ranks of the so-called fans.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:51 am

I kinda think that's always been the root of the problem with regards to Godzilla fandom.

Let's not mince words here: it's a small, niche fandom. It's one of the ONLY fandoms where people who are literally just FANS and have never even stepped foot on the set of one of the films have actual importance and swagger, because they were some of the first to bring those movies to the states (though thankfully that is starting to wane and there's a lot less gatekeeping these days). What that MEANS though, is that in this small pool, you're much more likely to come across a jerk than you are in the larger pool of Star Wars fandom.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword in that way: Yeah, you're less likely to have a group of pig-headed buffoons large enough to consider themselves a full-on group with an actual valid point (it certainly doesn't stop people from trying: case-in-point a small contingent of people BERATING NECA about not making a Ghidorah figure), but you're also more likely in general to run afoul of one randomly.

I guess I just assumed Tim Bean was Takarada's US rep, since I know that's a thing, and he was SO vocal. I stand corrected there.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:17 pm

I've actually met and conversed with JD a few times, he seems like a pretty nice level headed individual. He has organized several fan trips to Japan, of course I'll never have the funds to go, but if I could I would. I also supported G-Fest the 2 times it was in Southern CA. I understand why he keeps it in Chicago, if he has established a good rapport with the people and businesses there; again, even if its too far for me to go, if I had the funds, I would. Also, while I no longer actively subscribe to G-Fan, I still try to get it when I can. I imagine it has more days behind it, than in front, I'm still a fan of print media, even if it is dying out. I imagine however, if I had my own magazine, I may say a few things that not everyone agrees with (lord knows I've done it here...) but sometimes our emotions may get the better of us when our expectations are subverted. Big or small, that seems to be consistent in any fandom :wink: .
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby angilas » Thu May 30, 2019 9:19 pm

JD wrote me a very nice letter back in 94 when my grandma subscribed me to G-fan. I think he’s a great guy and has done a lot for fandom. That being said he probably has some narrow minded views and is like many writers at heart, very opinionated. That being said I know the first Godzilla movie I saw, kkvsG, but since I wasn’t even 1 yet I don’t remember seeing it the first time. I remember sharing Godzilla toys at show and tell in preschool though and arguing with my older bro as a 2yo over the sound Godzilla makes (he was right). I hope I’m still a real G fan. Also hope this & GojivsKong do well
As for cameos, there’s a nakajima picture in The credits if that counts. I know they honor Banno too but can’t remember if they showed him. I was looking down at the time and know I’ll see it again. Finally when they show a certain characters lineage some twin looking grandparents or something made me wonder if “the peanuts” cameod but I’m probably wrong...
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby canofhumdingers » Thu May 30, 2019 10:40 pm

No picture of Banno. The film was dedicated to him and Nakajima and below the dedication was this picture of Nakajima:

canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse