[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Theatrical Animated Shorts • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Theatrical Animated Shorts

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Theatrical Animated Shorts

Postby lhb412 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:21 pm

I've made threads for Looney Tunes, Popeye, Fleischer Superman ... but as I investigate further into the rich golden age of short cartoons that played before movies in theaters I think none of those threads can fully cover it.

Bugs, Daffy, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Popeye, Betty Boop, Tom and Jerry, Droopy, Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, Mighty Mouse, Mr, Magoo, Casper (the little boy who died), The Pink Panther - discuss your favorite theatrical cartoon shorts!

Anyway, I've been buying Looney Tunes and Popeye DVDs for a few years now, and I'm just now getting to stuff outside my comfort zone, stuff I didn't see as a kid. I got the one disc 'best of' release Woody Woodpecker Favorites and ended up enjoying it a lot. The Walter Lantz studio has a rep for being the medium quality studio, who's stuff couldn't compare with the big guys (Warner, Disney, ect.) but was superior to the lowest stuff (like Mighty Mouse - sorry MM fans). When you just stop comparing them in your head to similar cartoons these (mostly '40s) Woody cartoons are pretty funny. There are moments when the character seems completely unhinged and it's pretty awesome. The disc also had three of the few Lantz Studio toons Tex Avery made after leaving MGM, and they are totally brilliant. It's a shame he didn't stay and kept being a prominent force in the animation world.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mbozzo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm

The last theatrical short that I saw on the movie screen, was a Bugs Bunny cartoon. I rarely seen these shorts on the screen. I mostly saw them on television. :oops:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am

Just got my Looney Tunes Platinum Collection vol. 2 and am watching the Tex Avery MGM cartoons included as a special feature on disc 3.

Jesus, these cartoons are funny. It just wets my appetite for a complete set of his work - how I hope such a release in in the works!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!