[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
New DuckTales series from Disney • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

New DuckTales series from Disney

From Scooby Doo to Adult Swim, from Johnny Quest to Samurai Jack; discuss cartoons and animation here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New DuckTales series from Disney

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Wow. They're really going all out for this thing.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:57 pm

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: DuckTales 1987 vs DuckTales 2017

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm

^I like most of what I'm hearing, and I'm pretty sure the cartoon will be good, but it is disappointing to hear that this version of Scrooge is even nicer than he was in the original series, because even the original series Scrooge was a much softer character than the prickly, greedy, somewhat villainous character of the comics. He's more antihero than hero. Donald and the nephews are heroes. Scrooge flaws propel the story, often causing the conflicts or at the very least exacerbating them.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Really impressed with the pilot. Looked great, great characters, great scope. I can image this being a kid's first introduction to these characters and falling in love with them for the first time.

It really is 1/3rd the original DuckTales cartoon, 1/3rd the original Barks comics (bringing back in elements the original cartoon left out or altered), and another 1/3rd entirely modern reinvention - the final moments introduces an over-arching mystery plot that I'm sure will play out over the course of the series. Can't get anymore modern than that!

While it does seem that some of Scrooge's miserly cheapskate properties (my favorite thing about that character) have been washed over in favor of emphasizing his swashbuckling nature, I didn't mind largely because a) I was one over by Tennant's performance, and b) I was just so enamored with how they did the other most important character in the Uncle Scrooge comics: Donald Duck. Donald was, in my opinion, a perfect wedding of the classic cartoon Donald and the (really quite different) Donald of the comics. Seeing him save Dewey from the deathtraps and play along with the baddies to bide his time was great because it showed how competent he can be in the right situations, something even Don Rosa often got wrong in his Scrooge comics.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 am

ok, so I was never a fan of Duck Tales as a kid. in fact I wasn't into any of the Disney toons, in the early 90's but many of my friends were. My son was watching this on Saturday, I was kind of half-paying attention, in a room with a loud fan, so most of it was lost on me but...was there a line where Donald actually called a female a "Dumb Broad"? if so, I have no idea how they got that to air, harkens back to the original Donald Cartoons, of course it could have just been something I misheard, and Donald's speech impediment...

Anyway, How odd is it that 2 cartoons in the past month I've watched had a headless horse! (New Puss in Boots on Netflix, and now this...) ...that's just all kinds of strange if you ask me.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:45 pm

^I don't know. I didn't hear him say it (but, as you say, the impediment), and I know the show has a bunch of female creatives behind the scenes, so I'm not confident that such a line would make it out of the writers room.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 am

Caught the premier over the weekend, I thought it was pretty good. The new series seems like a good new take on the Duck comics & the first Ducktales show. Interesting to see Webby aged up to the same age as Huey, Dewey, & Louie -- that should prove to be good ground for future stories as the new show looks like it will have a heightened adventure level over the original. I'm also pleased that it appears the new series will also be a half-hour show and not follow the 15 minute format that currently dominates the new cartoons.

Also, I wasn't paying much attention to news of the show over the last couple months so I was nicely surprised today to see that Darkwing Duck will be on the new show too. I guess some clips were shown at the SDCC panel, but I've only seen this single still image of Darkwing Duck as he will look in the new series:

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:50 pm

The amount of in-jokes and references is dense: the dragon's name (Pixiu) is a homonym for the French name for Uncle Scrooge (Uncle Picsou).

Every background newspaper headline or whatnot references either the Disney afternoon cartoons or the Barks and Rosa comics.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Here's all 44-minutes of the first episode on Disney XD's Youtube channel.

A friend of mine isn't into the show simply because the newphews don't have the squawky Duck accent like the original and that they sound too much like adults and not kids.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:08 am

mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:20 pm

The toyline for this series is fantastic. I've got a Scrooge and Donald posed next to my Barks and Rosa hardcovers.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:51 am

I loved this reboot series and it makes me wonder if they are thinking of dipping back into some of their other late 80's early 90's toons. I'd LOVE a new Rescue Rangers (have it actually connected with the Rescuers, as it was originally intended, would be fantastic) and with Don Carnage in one episode of the new Ducktales, they could easily springboard a new Talespin off of that.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:07 pm

I was not really a fan of the original, but I can see why it's so well liked. It really is the best possible remake and even surpasses it, in some ways. My kids love it. As for crossovers and other appearances, hasn't Darkwing Duck been on the show? I wouldn't count anything out.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:35 pm

The city of Saint Canard has been mentioned a couple times already. And S.H.U.S.H. the organization that Darkwing Duck worked for is has existed for a long while and Mrs. Beakley is a retired agent. (And has been teaching Webby all the skills and knowledge an agent needs)

"From the Confidential Casefiles of Agent 22!" covers past events and current and shows Mrs. Beakley when she was an active SHUSH agent -- Scrooge worked as civilian help for the mission. In the episode, Scrooge and Beakley are sent to recover a page from the Great Book before the bad guys get it and use it to make a potion from the juice of the gummi berry. Yes, that's right the Gummi Bears happened (well mostly) in the world of the new Ducktales show. Also, Ludwig Von Drake ran SHUSH in the past.

Cape Suzette has mentioned in the recent 2 parter (and maybe season 1 finale), and just a few episodes previously Scrooge & co. had a run in with Don Karnage and his air pirates.

As for Darkwing Duck himself...

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:09 pm

^ If there is such a thing as being a fan whos not a fan, I'm probably it. I really like the concept, and writing of this show, I just fail to ever actually watch it, except when my kids go to their Grandparents house
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:21 pm

It’s official, DuckTales Season 3 will arrive on Saturday, April 4 on Disney XD.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to I Wanna Watch Cartoons!!