[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
G-FEST XIX - July 2012 • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

G-FEST XIX - July 2012

This forum is for Festivals, Shows, and Convention Information, as well as information on Godzilla, Kaiju related Exhibitions and Displays, and screenings of Kaiju Films in the theatre and on television. Also discuss and alert others to fandom activities. Discuss fanzines, local fan gatherings and clubs, alert others to your G-related websites, etc. Meet and greet other fans! Have a ball!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Thomas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:51 am

Possible date for next years G-Fest will be July 12, 13, and 14 2013 held again at the Crowne Plaza in Rosemont.

Well, if anyone is in a savings mode you might want to also start saving money now for a possible G-Tour in 2015. The idea of another G-Tour was brought up at the future of G-Fan/G-Fest/G-Tour session with JD and he seemed pretty up for another G-Tour in the next few years with 2015 being the reasonable earliest. Those people who were at the con and went on G-Tour all had positive things to say about the trip and they thought the tour company that arranged the trip did a great job and even went out of their way to get the intrepid monster movie fans to kaiju eiga related landmarks by (gasp) watching the movies themselves to see what locations were used in the movies. Hindsight gives me the luxury of seeing how well their trip went and what they got to see to really wish that I too had gone.

This was a very good con by the way. It had a very laid back atmosphere this year and there were pretty much no hiccups or problems at the hotel or with the conference rooms. At the Pickwick Theater there were new chairs in the style of comfortable rocking chairs, so gone were the narrow chairs from the fifties that made my legs fall asleep. The one hiccup of the convention that I noticed was at the Pickwick when Godzilla vs Destroyah stopped playing about twenty minutes in and they raised the house lights for a few minutes and then the movie was back on to a point a few minutes before where it had stopped and the house lights went down again. Also they were about thrity minutes late starting GvD and that was more annoying than the movie stopping. I did attend Gorgo and Gamera the Giant Monster on Thursday as well and those started on time and there were no problems with the presentation of them and they started on time. I skipped Godzilla King of the Monsters on Friday.

The guests were great and it was great to get to see Akira Takarada in the standard setting of G-Fest instead of that last minute thrown together awkward con of 2010. Bin Furuya was the highlight of the con for me. Meeting the man inside the Ultra costume was pretty big for me. Coming home from school and watching an episode of Ultraman on WXON and then pretending to be Ultraman after was a big part of my life when I was a kid. Even though I never knew who was in the costume as a kid it turned out that as an adult I was very excited to meet Bin Furuya and even though I'm not much for autographs or pictures with guests I had to get both a picture and autograph. Here is a pic:

Try to post more specifics of the con later.
"The Bird did not look like Rodan, but he sensed it was the spirit of Rodan."

Mike Hanlon (It by Stephen King)
Thomas
Godzilla

Postby Reaper G » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

Pest, MSTie, Foodie, G-fan, Wrestlemaniac, and geek-at-large
http://reaper_g.livejournal.com
Reaper G
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 am

G Tour is more then feasible if I sell off some of my comic collection...
heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:42 am

Here are some pics I took over the weekend.

Zigra costume in the lobby, Bin Furuya and Brett Homenick in the background.

Kaijucast panel with three kaiju artist. Left to right they are: Jeff Zornow, Matt Frank, and Bob Eggleton. On the right end is host Kyle of the kaijucast. Good session you can download it and listen to it because it's the kaijucast for mid month of July's podcast.

Bin Furuya's first session at G-Fest 19 with Robert Scott Field translating and Damon Foster interviewing.

a great Magma costume from the costume parade/contest. The person inside it was hamming it up as a performing walrus.
Close up of the head. In the background a Science Patrol member from the American branch breaks into action upon seeing the rampaging walrus of destruction.

Gigan costume was very good. He moved around a lot so most of my pics of it are blurry

Battra imago stage and made from duct tape.

Battra larva stage also made from duct tape.

Mothra she spit webbing.

The rest of the Zigra costume.

Biollante blessed me when one of her tentacles whacked me in the head when turning the corner.

Anyone recognize this gun? Not sure if it is a replica or an actual prop it got lost in translation, which said it was a prop from the film then a replica prop from the film then back to being an actual prop.

For the first time my hand felt complete. My right hand. My left hand often feels complete because of *censored*.

Some of the models in the display room.

This is the one I voted for for the model contest, I really like the story it's based on.

Sorry for all the pics if it takes the page too long to load.

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 am

heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:53 am

"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:52 pm

What I purchased at G-Fest:

I also picked up the DVD of Space Amoeba and Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds.

Thomas
Godzilla

Postby heroforhirerob » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:52 pm

heroforhirerob
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Festivals, Shows, Screenings, and Fan Activities