[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Time for a New Edition of the Compendium • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Time for a New Edition of the Compendium

Discuss Magazines, Fanzines, and Books devoted to Daikaiju films! A Godzilla article in a Horror or Sci-Fi magazine? New Hobby Japan EX available? New G-Fan arrive in your mailbox? A Godzilla article in your local paper? Discuss it here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Time for a New Edition of the Compendium

Postby Gojira69 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:21 pm

There's been 8 movies since then.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Re: Time for a New Edition of the Compendium

Postby klen7 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:26 pm

^ There was an addendum released in G-FAN a couple years ago that covered the Millennium series.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:45 pm

I'd love a new Godzilla book, but since the '90s we've actually had a couple. What I want is a well-written, in-depth book that covers the entire genre: Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman - the works!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:30 pm

wow this is actually going for quite a bit on the seconady market

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Godzill ... compendium

I would sell mine, but the glue that held the spine together wasn't very good and some pages have dislodged from the spine. Anyone else have any manufacture defects with this?

But yes a comprehensive book would be nice, unfortunately they only seem to come out in japan. I got the Tsuburaya 50th anniversary book, and strongly contemplated getting the Toho book of the same design...but haven't yet.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Isn't the compendium as is full of errors? It sounds like it needs a rewrite from the ground up.

I would really love to see a simple, comprehensive book like that though, just focusing on the films, monsters, etc. I imagine it would cover a lot of familiar ground to people like us, but for newcomers it would be a lot of help especially it if were free of errors and misconceptions about the series.

I'm thinking of something like the numerous Star Wars guide books from DK. I used to pore over those all the time as a kid.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 am

I'll say it again...

Despite any perceived shortcomings of the "Godzilla Compendium", its seriously time for an update to it or a completely new edition.

There are now 30 movies with 2 distinct universes with potential sequels in play.

An updated compendium could now cover discussion of 30 films, two series of hypothetical sequels, and the 1998 abortion.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Return to Godzilla in Print