[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Advice on figure/model painting • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Advice on figure/model painting

Discuss Vinyl Toys, Action Figures, Candy Toys, Godzilla Meat...whatever!

Moderator: Controllers

Advice on figure/model painting

Postby XvGojira » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:43 pm

I thought there was a thread for this already but couldn't find it.

So I'm looking at getting Kotobukiya's Metal Gear Rex, since I love that mech and there's no version of it that fits my budget or shelf (Triple A I'm looking at you!). But it's an . Which is mostly fine for me. But seeing it slightly painted in made me wonder how they did that, because having the lines deepened like that really make the figure pop to me.

Any advice on how they did that, or should I just take a fine tipped sharpie and go over each indentation?
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Re: Advice on figure/model painting

Postby canofhumdingers » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Well, it looks like they did more than just bring out the panel lines in the second picture, it looks like they painted everything.

But as to your specific question about making the panel lines stand out more, yes, tracing each one with a fine tip sharpie would work, but might not be the best looking option. Assuming these are scribed panel lines (meaning they are a physical groove indented into the surface and NOT a raised bump on top of the surface) the best option for painting is generally a wash. A wash is where you thin the paint so that it becomes very liquidy/runny and bassically glop it on heavily so that it runs down into the panel grooves. Let it sit for a moment then blot the excess off. The longer you let it sit, the darker the lines will be. If its not dark enough, let it dry and then repeat the process as many times as it takes. I'm sure if you search on youtube you'll find plenty of tutorials.

Also, for beginners, I'd highly recommend using acrylic paint because you can use water as the thinner, water for clean up, and it runs no risk of damaging or melting pretty much any material the model might be made of (im betting this one is made of styrene plastic based on the pictures)

EDIT:

The first time i looked, not all the pictures loaded. Upon closer viewing, I'd say they did NOT paint everything, but some stuff... And I'd guess they used a combination of pen work (pencil is also commonly used for panel lines since you can sharpen it to a very fin point to get super precise and use different leads for different effects) and washes depending on where the panel line is and how it is contained (or not) by the surrounding surfaces.
canofhumdingers
Burning Godzilla

Postby ILL GREEN » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 am

Everything Canofhumdingers posted.

I will say that the kit looks already painted and that you will have to paint in the details with washes and weathering.

For darkening grooves and crevices, I granulate black pastels into a fine dust and with a very thin brush, I powder up those grooves. Excess can be washed off with a damp cloth. Then seal it all up with clear sealer.

AVAILABLE NOW! ILL GREEN HADOSHI ART FIGURES HANDMADE AND HANDPAINTED!
ILL GREEN
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:16 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you want to look up techniques on how to paint models look up Warhammer 40k paint tutorials.

Sometimes they will use a dark wash over their point jobs so it fills in all the cracks and recesses and gives the look of shadows/depth. Then use a lighter color on a dry brush for the edges. I used to paint these things but haven't done it in a while. Maybe this will give you some ideas...

Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 am

So I bit the bullet and bought the set. The price jumped up and then back down. I assume there was another run of it so I didn't want to lose my chance of get it at a decent price (the Balck version is already well over $100).

So I think I'm going to buy one of the gundam paint markers, probably grey and line detail the model that way instead of doing a wash.

But I'm not sure when line detailing is done exactly. Some places show it like it's the first thing, others make is seem like it's the last. I don't want to line detail it and then have parts of it covered by one of the coats of paint.

And I think I'm going to go with spray painting, for the most part. There's a yellow highlight that I think I might just paint on as it's such a small section it be cheaper to just used some paint.

But I want to dot all my Is and cross all my Ts before jumping at this project. I love this mech and don't want to screw it up, but I also don't want to lose interest in it half way and shelve it. Although, to cover my ass, does anyone know of someplace or someone who could either finish a half done kit or paint and mostly assemble it? Obviously I know it won't be for free and probably not cheap, but I just want to be aware of all my options.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby william newell » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:51 pm

I would try to break the kit into sub-assemblies, by that, I mean, assemble the arms, legs, torso, etc., etc. separately. Then I would paint/detail each sub-assembly while all areas are easily accessible, with the panel lines being done last. Then would be the final assembly where, hopefully, gluing would be at a minimum. Of course, this advice is given not knowing exactly how the kit goes together, so some adjustments may be needed to this process. Also, not sure if it helps, but there are some build and paint tips here... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2201. Also, I have a page on deviantART(godzillabadger)where I have a few built-up 'mechs posted. Hope this info helps, and if you have any other questions you think I might be helpful with, please feel free to ask! :mrgreen:
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Toys, Figures, and Other Collectibles