[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Why are there no anime Godzilla series? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Why are there no anime Godzilla series?

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Should there be an anime Godzilla series/mini-series?

Sounds like a good idea to me.
76%
Nah, let the big G stick to movies.
24%

Total votes : 84

Postby Mexigojira » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:59 pm

"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:12 pm

they could get Michiru Oshima to do the music =o!

She's a Godzilla and Anime veteran.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Heh, looking at my old posts here, it's funny how my tastes in anime have changed since then. I actually like stuff like Ghost in the shell and Evangelion now. Not to mention shows like Full Metal Panic, Martian Successor Nadesico, RahXephon and Azumanga Daioh as well. Still dig the classic super robot stuff though. :)

Y'know, I often wonder why Toho never gave the go-ahead for a Godzilla anime series. But then, the whole monster-of-the-week format is pretty much nonexistent in Japan now, and with Godzilla not being all that popular over there, I can't imagine most folks would be interested in a Godzilla cartoon anyway. I'd still like to see one, though.
Something along the lines of Godannar (minus the fanservice, of course - it's Godzilla, after all) would kick serious arse. Or on a more serious note, something in the vein of Patlabor 3 would work quite well too.
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby Mexigojira » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:17 pm

"There are 4 things that I've learned to dont discuss, because they end with people killing each other: Religion, politics, sports, and logic on anime and kaiju movies"

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Temjin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm

If you think about it, big-boobed-big-assed Shobijins could be awesome cheerleaders for Mothra and Battra, "The Insect Brothers". :P

I think some anime already took a stab at them, though - I've seen someone with them on his avater, "MasterFwiffo" I think.

I don't think TOHO wants anything - I think animation companies have to request it, and I doubt there're any out there that want to.

I know for Guyver and Witchblade, the companies had to ask their creators for permission to make them - in Witchblade's case, the creator was much too happy to oblige, as the4 comic book had only been a live-action TV series that sorta sucked everything out of the source material to make it "work" for TV.

I was thinking - "Godzilla - Guardian of the Realms" or something like that, would be awesome and et the kiddies out en masse. In my art class, a couple of friends of mine scripted, storyboarded, and animated a 2 minute "trailer" of that concept for our advance animation class.....and the whole "Yu-Gi-Oh" concept actually worked - using raw footage from Godzilla - Card Battle on PSX, editted yu gi oh footage, Godzilla Maximum Impact and Generations footage, and some editted colored designs, it actually looked like something people would watch.

The professor, our teacher, admitted it was an awesome trailer, even if that wasn't what he was judging(it was color use, dimensions, viewpoint, and perspective). Sadly, the footage was lost after that because only one copy was burned and turned in, the other was lost in a computer crash(I TOLD him to upgrade, but noooo - "windows 98 is great for editting!"....riiiight.)

But yeah - a Godzilla anime would work, especially now, since there won't be a live-action counterpart for years.
[color=green]
Temjin
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:06 pm

@ Garasharp

Godannar? Serious...? >_> I found it to be the single most incompetent Super Robot ever devised...

Hell, the only thing I ever got out of Godannar was a trip to the 18+ section of the Doujinshi rack.

I think Production I.G. would probably treat Godzilla right (after seeing all of Blood+ and G.I.T.S.). They have very good mecha designers at their studios.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:42 pm

Edda, I did say minus the fanservice - take away that element from Godannar and you've got a group of heroic types battling monsters in cool-looking robots. I thought it was worth watching for that alone. (plus the fanservice was so over the top, the creators had to be taking the piss)
I was thinking of an upbeat action-packed hot-blooded approach to a Godzilla cartoon there, and Godannar was the first thing that came to mind. (well, that, and Mazinkaiser) I mean, there's nary an angsty moment in the show at all, and the battles were cool too, I thought. The whole thing had this classic super robot vibe to it as well, with the Ichiro Mizuki & Mitsuko Horie songs - not to mention Akira Kushida too - and the music was by Chumei Watanabe. Definite '70s influence there.
I'd love to see that approach taken with Godzilla, just - and I must stress this - without the excessive t & a. That's what I was thinkin' of. :)
"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby The Dark Uniter » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Hmmm... For some reason, I can't picture having Godzilla as a anime series [not to let hopes down] because I'm so acustomed at looking at them as live action series [with the exception of some parts of Hedorah]. To be open minded, I think in order for them to even make a good anime series, they should come up with a good story outline before pitching it to Toho Studios. Usually Animes have character development for characters whether they're alien, a superhero, etc. But it does sound interesting. :)
Formerly known as TylerPreston
The Dark Uniter
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Mexigojira » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Anibal
Mexigojira
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby EricDent » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:32 am

Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed May 09, 2012 5:38 pm

There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed May 09, 2012 11:04 pm

I don't even care if it's anime. I'd sit through a western cartoon if it had access to Toho monsters and the like. It seems like it could work.

Heck, GINO's cartoon show remains one of my favorite childhood cartoons. Just imagine if it had used REAL Godzilla and REAL Godzilla monsters.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Anime & Manga