[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
A peek at DBZ 30th releases thanks to Wal-Mart • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

A peek at DBZ 30th releases thanks to Wal-Mart

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

A peek at DBZ 30th releases thanks to Wal-Mart

Postby The Shadow » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 pm

I was out running some errands Friday (8/23) and stopped by an out of town Wal-Mart. The sort of framed movie end cap (my local WM has this display set up as for Disney titles) had swapped out the signage for Dragon Ball Z 30th signs.

Looking at the fine print it appears that the signs weren't supposed to go up until August 27th.

I guess I ought to have gotten pictures of the whole thing, but I had to be quick and focused in the two side panels (which showed some of the DB releases) and the right side of the top 30th Anniversary banner.

As you can see in the pictures, Funimation is repackaging Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and what appears to be repackages of the orange box releases on DVD. At least I'm assuming those are orange box reissues, as the artwork just seems to have the DVD logo on the spine. Most of the main upper banner was orange background with DBZ 30th Anniversary in white.

The new box art design reminds me of what we see for Funimation's limited 30th Anniversary box set. Rather surprised that Funimation has not shown off any of this themselves yet (nothing on their website, Twitter, or Facebook pages). Also nothing showing up at online retailers' sites either.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Re: A peek at DBZ 30th releases thanks to Wal-Mart

Postby mbozzo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Did you buy it? If you did, I hope that you enjoy watching it. :mrgreen:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Re: A peek at DBZ 30th releases thanks to Wal-Mart

Postby The Shadow » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:15 am

I went back in the afternoon on August 27th -- the signs were up at my local WM but none of the stock for some reason. I stopped by again last Friday to see what the was actually being stocked, and my local WM had the endcap stocked. Except for Battle of Gods and Resurrection F everything is DVD (and even those two movies had DVD only releases). The DBZ orange boxes are the same ones Funimation has been selling for a decade plus now, just with new artwork on the outer sleeves (selling for around $15 each 'season'). DB GT was split into two and was selling for about $17 each. The DB Super volumes were only offered in DVD as well. The bottom two rows were DVD releases of random anime and faux-anime releases; RWBY, Castlevania, Dead Space, some Pokemon DVDs maybe.

Dragon Ball (first series) is missing entirely -- I would have picked those up even though they're just DVD, who knows if Funimation will ever get around to a blu-ray for DB. Dragon Ball Super: Broly was also missing from the assortment. Even Funimation's blu-ray releases for DBZ were not part of the assortment.

The regular 'anime' section in the store has the complete release of GT in stock for $23 (versus ~$35 to buy the two halves from the end cap); that section also has a combined orange box season 1 & 2 for $20 (you'll spend around $30 getting the first two season from the end cap).

I'm rather disappointed, I was not expecting anything based on the upcoming 30th anniversary collector's set that Funimation pre-sold in May (so no surprises there). I had hoped for some deals on Funimation's blu-ray releases of the earlier DBZ movies, I've held off on those hoping that Funimation would re-release them using Toei's latest masters (but as with Dragon Ball there's no signs that Funimation is even considering that).
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Return to Anime & Manga