[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Here is a hypothetical question • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Here is a hypothetical question

He's Red and Silver, as tall as a building, and kicks the butts of Giant Monsters!! He's also Japan's most enduring and favorite Superhero!! From Ultra Seven to Ultraman Orb, discuss the many incarnations of Ultraman here!! Let's not forget Zone Fighter! Kamen Rider! Gridman! The infinity of Toei Sentai Teams! For such a small island, Japan is bursting with colorful superheroes! Discuss Japanese Heroes here as well!!

Moderator: Controllers

Here is a hypothetical question

Postby Henry88 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:27 pm

How would you handle a big budget US version of Ultraman?
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Here is a hypothetical question

Postby eabaker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 pm

There are two ways to go. Either keep the half-hour format, and air it in a kid-friendly time slot, or make it an hourlong, and give it a bit of a more serious edge, although, either way, keep the emphasis on fun adventure. Probably do strictly one-offs and two-parters for most of the first season, but start hinting at a bigger arc near the end of the first thirteen episodes, and then go more heavily arc-based for the end of the season.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby metal_bryan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:20 am

I honestly can't picture Ultraman as a US series or movie.
metal_bryan
Controller

Postby klen7 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 am

i never have done fanfics or anything of the sort, but i do have a pitch for an American Ultraman series that i developed while mowing my lawn last summer... it would take me a while to type it out and i don't think it'll be well received so we'll see if i get bored enough to post it
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 pm

I cannot imagine a US-produced Ultra-series finding a large enough audience to justify airing on television (unless it was done in a way so unfaithful to the Japanese version as to make it basically unrelated), but I think I could imagine it finding an audience as a smaller-scale web original.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby StevenScrivello » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 pm

I'd use the exact same format and structure as PACIFIC RIM, i.e. multiple Ultramen and defence teams (like the Jaegers and their teams) active in different areas of the world, and coming together in the face of a greater crisis/more concentrated monster attacks. Like PACIFIC RIM, it wouldn't be an origin story, but would throw the viewer into the world probably around five or ten years after the Ultras (and monsters) arrived. The featured Ultras would be Ultraman, Seven, Jack, Ace, and Taro (and their respective host characters and defence teams - the Science Patrol in Japan, the Ultra Guard in North America, etc.), and monsters would likely be iconic/popular ones like Red King, Gomora, and Zetton (in the Slattern "big bad" role). Just imagine classic Ultra foes rendered in PACIFIC RIM-level CGI - I think it would be incredible. The monsters would be revealed to all be tools of the Baltan-Seijin, hovering undetected above Earth's atmosphere (like the inter-dimensional Precursors in PACIFIC RIM). I think I'd title it EARTH DEFENCE FORCE, in homage to the Japanese title of THE MYSTERIANS... and because it works well, I think.

Yeah, I've given this a lot of thought. I know I've basically just inserted Ultraman lore into PACIFIC RIM, but it would honestly work so well.
"Will Earth be ruled by Man or Mysterians? No, only science can rule..."

: Tumblr's Top Stomping Ground
StevenScrivello
Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Someone get in contact with Netflix or Amazon!
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Ultraman and Japanese Heroes