[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Shin Kamen Rider • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Shin Kamen Rider

He's Red and Silver, as tall as a building, and kicks the butts of Giant Monsters!! He's also Japan's most enduring and favorite Superhero!! From Ultra Seven to Ultraman Orb, discuss the many incarnations of Ultraman here!! Let's not forget Zone Fighter! Kamen Rider! Gridman! The infinity of Toei Sentai Teams! For such a small island, Japan is bursting with colorful superheroes! Discuss Japanese Heroes here as well!!

Moderator: Controllers

Shin Kamen Rider

Postby lhb412 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:23 am

You know the drill: the third in the series of 'Shin' films rebooting tokusatsu icons, this one done by Anno solo without Higuchi (who was busy with post on Shin Ultraman during this film's production).

And it seems we'll have far less to wait to see the film in North America! AMC Theaters has a page for the movie listing a May 31st release.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Shin Kamen Rider

Postby lhb412 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:27 pm

It's officially announced: one night only, May 31.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/Shin-Kamen-Rider?utm_campaign=Shin%20Kamen%20Rider&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2023_ShinKamenRider_Fathom_TW_Organic
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:05 pm

This Fathom Events release feels like a landmark achievement for Kamen Rider in North America, even more than Shin Ultraman's theatrical release was for Ultraman. The original Ultraman series left a mark on American pop culture but this nationwide theatrical screening of Shin Kamen Rider seems to eclipse both Saban's Masked Rider and The CW's Kamen Rider Dragon Knight as the most high-profile exposure the franchise has ever had in North America.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:10 pm

^ I'm always seeing people complain that these releases are too limited and things like the Shin movies deserve mainstream release, and while I agree in principle... I honestly am flabbergasted these things are so widely released these days as it is! I came up in a time where if you didn't see Ultraman The Next at its Hollywood premiere you weren't gonna see it at all in an official capacity!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 pm

^ Exactly! Most of the Heisei & Millennium Godzilla movies didn't get theatrical releases in North America. Godzilla 1985 and Godzilla 2000 each took close to a year before they had edited, English-dubbed versions playing in American theaters. Many of the '60s and '70s films took years to get edited, dubbed American releases in theaters or on television.

Now we live in an era in which Shin Godzilla played in American theaters uncut and fully subtitled less than three months after its Japanese theatrical release, before it hit Japanese home media! Shin Ultraman played in American theaters with optional subtitled and dubbed versions! Now we've got Shin Kamen Rider in theaters just over two months after it opened in Japan!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:44 pm

Got my ticket. Usually two or even all three of my local theaters get Fathom stuff, but this one is only going to the one way across town. Seems this movie's release is a bit more limited than Shin Ultraman.

Should finish Ryuki before the movie. That'll make three full KR shows (this, Kuuga, and Black) viewed so far, as well as a few odd movies and scattered episodes (mostly the OG series). I've got the original manga on hand and I plan to read it soon.

So I'll be going into Shin Kamen Rider not quite a superfan, but still fairly well-versed in the world if Rider!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:08 pm

It's unfortunate that no local theaters near me are carrying the June 5th encore, because like Shin Ultraman before it this film absolutely bombards you with information and I'd love to see it again before giving a coherent opinion... and with Ultraman I had two screenings over two days and was intimately familiar with the source material!

What I will say is that this is undoubtedly the most idiosyncratic and self-indulgent of the three Shin features, and that's both what makes is frustrating and what makes it awesome.

With Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman I felt the films were so complete and self contained that I didn't feel the desire for a sequel, but it feels like with Shin Kamen Rider there's tantalizingly more there to explore. I'd definitely be down for Shin Kamen Rider #2!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:23 am

^ I'm looking forward to your review of this! I won't be able to catch it in a theater. Hopefully it'll get licensed for a home media release by the end of this year.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:23 pm

I will say, as we wait patiently for news of this film's further availability, that the actors playing Riders #1 and #2 are phenomenal. Sōsuke Ikematsu is playing
Takeshi Hongo like it's the most serious, prestige role possible, which might be a recipe for disaster if he didn't make you believe 100%! Tasuku Emoto plays the more lighthearted Ichimonji as yin to Hongo's yang, and manages to invest a soulfulness to a fun role that leaves an impression despite not a lot of screen time.

BTW everyone in Emoto's family is an actor. His mom is the aunt from Kamen Rider Ryuki, his dad is Yuki from Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla (also in Shin Godzilla), his wife is the female lead in the Oscar nominated Shoplifters... which also has his dad in the cast, and dad and wife are both in Miike's latest Yokai movie. His brother is also an actor and is apparently in Wim Wenders' (?!) new movie.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:36 pm

^ Awesome.

Shin Kamen Rider will stream globally on Prime Video starting July 21, just four months after it opened in Japanese theaters and just ten days after Shin Ultraman hits DVD/BRD in North America!

https://www.shin-kamen-rider.jp/news/1495/
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3766793/shin-kamen-rider-prime-video-global-release-summer-2023/
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:53 pm

It's listed as Shin Masked Rider on Amazon, if anyone wonders why it doesn't appear when you search for Kamen Rider.

I just watched it and it was pretty good. Very stylish, with lots of flashy action scenes. I haven't seen any Kamen Rider before, so I don't know how closely it sticks to the source material, but it ends up feeling like a TV compilation movie. Rather like Shin Ultraman it has an episodic structure, but this movie's 'episodes' are much shorter, hopping from one supervillain to the next every ten minutes or so. It jumps into high gear right from the beginning too. Aside from one extremely dense exposition scene, the film barely has a first act.

Tonally it's a bit of a departure from the previous two Shin movies in a couple of ways. For starters, it's an absolute bloodbath. The degree of violence really caught me off guard; blood gushes everywhere almost any time someone throws a punch. Also it's a lot quirkier than Shin Godzilla/Ultraman, primarily due to the over-the-top villains. It ends up feeling closer to Anno's Cutie Honey movie, albeit much darker.
Dai
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:44 pm

I'm planning to watch this on Sunday. I've held off on starting another Kamen Rider series before this.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:37 pm

Shin Kamen Rider rocks! It takes the essence of the original Kamen Rider series and packs it into two exhilarating hours of mayhem and weirdness!

Everything about this movie is old-fashioned and modern at the same time. The premise, the designs and aesthetics, the action and the horror, it's all straight out of the original show but done with modern effects and cinematography. The soundtrack is an awesome mix of classic music cues from the original series, new renditions of classic themes and badass new music.

I haven't seen Shin Ultraman yet but I have watched Shin Godzilla many times since it was released. I've also watched Kamen Rider Black Sun, last year's 10-episode series which does with Kamen Rider Black the same thing that Shin Kamen Rider does with Kamen Rider, reimagining the core characters and elements of the original work in a modern story. Black Sun is already like the antithesis of Shin Godzilla in its approach to its own pointedly political story. Whereas Shin Godzilla directly cites only the ways in which Japanese people were victimized during WWII while ignoring the atrocities committed by the Empire of Japan, Kamen Rider Black Sun acknowledges the darkest side of Japan's imperial history and brazenly links it to the real-life political party that has dominated the nation's government for most of the past seven decades. Conversely, Shin Kamen Rider seems to purposely avoid any political angle at all, instead opting for more universal themes of how humanity relates with technology. The original Kamen Rider certainly wasn't political but it did depict Shocker as an organization with Nazi roots, and even that element is discarded in Shin Kamen Rider. I don't think there's anything more to that omission than just a conscious effort to keep politics out of the movie but it's interesting how Shin Kamen Rider's elimination of Shocker's Nazi roots is in keeping with how Shin Godzilla ignored the darkest side of Japan's imperial history, especially considering how Kamen Rider Black Sun so deliberately tied its own evil organization to imperial Japan.

The cast of Shin Kamen Rider is phenomenal. Sosuke Ikematsu as Takeshi Hongo and Minami Hamabe as Ruriko really carry the movie. Their chemistry is great and they're immediately relatable, perfectly suited for the story's relentless pace. Tasuku Emoto nearly steals the show as Hayato Ichimonji.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:58 pm

Finally rewatched Shin Kamen Rider on NYE after finishing Ishinomori's original manga, which was appropriate because it did provide a bit of background. I don't think I mentioned it here, but unfortunately in theater I had a rather obnoxious crowd, which didn't make the film's bombarding you with so much information any easier!

Of the three Shin films this one feels the most personal to Anno's struggles with depression. As Benjamin mentions, any political aspect to the villains have been ripped out, and instead everyone's motivation, heroes and villains, seems rooted in a response to their own depression. It also feels... like, really autistic. People don't speak in dialog, they speak in quotations from their own impeccably cited and belabored manifestos. One gets the feeling that Anno has been constantly tinkering with this in the back of his mind for 50 years and just now we're all able to perceive it. Easy to see why this was a more modest success when compared to the previous two Shins. You have to be aboard for the vibe.

Some really breathtaking stylistic flourishes, and terrific music, but ultimately the strongest thing about this is just how committed and sincere the cast is for this weirdness. It's across the board, too. As such, my favorite moments are some of the really quiet moments with the characters. My second favorite thing was the total replication of the '70s style in some of the framing, editing, and choreo!

I imagine that every time I revisit this In the coming years I'll take something a bit different away from it each time. It's just that kind of film.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Ultraman and Japanese Heroes