[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Need help with archival King Kong (1933) information, please • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Need help with archival King Kong (1933) information, please

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Need help with archival King Kong (1933) information, please

Postby Shokara » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 pm

I've lived in the NJ/NYC area my whole life. As some of you who have also lived there as far back as the early 1980's may recall, you and I are familiar with a time when local TV station WOR-TV Channel 9 (based in Secaucus, NJ) regularly showed King Kong (1933) along with The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young (1949) and numerous other monster movies during the Thanksgiving Weekend. This is all well documented.

However, I need help in finding something that isn't as well documented. The first time I ever saw King Kong was with my family in our living room on a Sunday on WOR-TV 9 when I was five years old in 1983. Since then, I've learned that first viewing of mine was WOR-TV 9's airing to celebrate King Kong's 50th anniversary. Someone even managed to post a recording of a WOR-TV 9 promo for that specific viewing on YouTube. This is it:

I have tried and tried to track down when was the specific date for this, but so far I've come up empty. It was a Sunday in 1983 at 1:00 PM Eastern, but which one? If there's anyone here that's more resourceful than I or simply knows where to look, could you please help an old fan find out exactly when his fandom for a certain big gorilla started?
Shokara
Godzilla Jr.

Re: Need help with archival King Kong (1933) information, pl

Postby mbozzo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 pm

It might have started for me with the ABC King Kong cartoon series. It's a pity that it isn't in reruns. I heard that King Kong Escape is based on that cartoon series. :wink:
mbozzo
Godzilla

Re: Need help with archival King Kong (1933) information, pl

Postby H-Man » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:16 am

I'm pretty sure it was April 10th. The time, day of the week, and channel match, and it was only a few days after a surge of 50th anniversary press for the big ape. What I can look at on Newspapers.com is pretty limited at the moment, since I'm not paying for a subscription right now, but TV listings from the same Sunday papers show that WOR also broadcast KKvG on Monday and KKE on Friday.

I'd recommend keeping an eye out for Newspapers.com's free trial weeks. It's a good resource for obscure and trivial information like this.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television