[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Ben Chapman interview • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Ben Chapman interview

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Postby kidnicky » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:49 pm

There's no point in remaking Plan 9 in my opinion,since being bad is why people liked. A well-acted,well-filmed version of Plan 9 would be terrible,since it's not exactly a riveting story. And I hope noone remakes Brain That Wouldn't Die,that's a perfect film in my opinion.

One question to the "kids these days want ipods,dangnabbit" crowd: How old are you guys? I mean,come on,I'm 27,and when I was a kid,just off the top of my head,you "had to have" a game system (first Atari,Coleco,etc.,then Nintendo),Transformers,a Sony Walkman,BK shoes,and whatever else.
So a kid now "has to have" a game system (Wii,360,PS3),Transformers,an ipod,Nike shoes,and whatever. It's no different. If I was strutting around as a kid with some off-brand Kmart tape player,everyone would have busted my balls.
I did like King Kong,Gamera,and Godzilla,but I sure liked Return of the Jedi,Ghostbusters,Back to the Future,and others. Of course those are "classics" now,but at the time they were the latest fad.
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby TheMaster » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:56 pm

OK my turn. I'm kinda a combo of everybody here from my soul brother dave to kid nick. To a point. Meaning at 37 at times I DO sound like a grumpy codger on porch sayin "in my day we had real movies". For instance The Fugitive or Carpenters The Thing are remakes-yet all are excellent IMO. On the other like someone said-what did the pathetic remakes of Chainsaw or Halloween accomplish? They did the predictable add unecessary backstory, use the monochrome shaky cam everyone's been doing since private ryan, and add obviously 2007 hotties in but crack showing jeans.(Not that "there's anything wrong with that")
I'm with dancin Dave in that 95% of this dreck accomplishes ZILCH, and if something was great-leave it be and TRY to be original. However Hollywood is-IS F*CKIN retarded.I'm dead serious. They'll run out of ideas, use the word "reimagine" and if it makes #1 for one week, they'll declare it a hit, even though it drops 60% the next weekend. And there's no stopping them, many times they cost so little to make, they make quick profit, which means-more of the same. And I think you automatically assume your audience is stupid if you think they lack the ability to rent or buy the original, another sign of Hollywood "genuis". Doesn't seem to hurt the sales of the endless Lucas original trilogy DVDs. However I enjoyed Jacksons Kong-even if everything he added was a waste!
But what I'm laughing at now is they're so desperate they're remaking crap. Dukes of Hazzard, The Fog, etc were never great to begin with-they're just trying to take advantage of GenX fanboys dumb obsession with retro reference.(without which Kevin Smith and Seth McFarlane would have to have genuine talent). And sorry Dave no matter the nostalgia, Plan 9 is pure awful! The dialogue which make no sense, the plot-hell the fx are the least of its problems!
TheMaster
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:28 pm

I agree about Peter Jackson's Kong. I loved it because it was so over the top stupid. In that old,crappy,fuddy duddy movie,King Kong fought one T-Rex,so now he'll fight THREE!!!!! And they fall off the cliff OMG now they're in the vines OMG on the ground again OMG King Kong is busting out moves from Randy "The Macho Man" Savage's arsenal-this movie is XTREEEME!!!!! To the MAX!!!!!!
If one dinosaur is cool,three is off the charts! And they don't just imply Ann is in danger,she falls again and again and is even in the dinosaur's mouth!
Adrian Brody kicking that dinosaur in the face is a laugh riot,every time. It never gets old.
Of course the sad part is,I'm now going to be attacked by some 17 year old fanboy that thinks this hillarity is HIGH ART because the media says Peter Jackson is this generation's finest filmaking artist. He made a mockery out of a classic film as a RESPECTFUL HOMAGE!!!!! :(
Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Shonokin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:16 am

No worries Rowsdower, it's a very thoughtful and interesting conversation from all sides.

Oh and I want to add, of how remakes are put into production, curtesy of a link from another thread by Mr Haines.
Shonokin
Monster 01

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 am

Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kidnicky » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:48 am

Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla