[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Frankenstein Conquers the World • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Frankenstein Conquers the World

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby August » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:13 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:54 pm

"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
http://www.myspace.com/cretinfunk
http://www.myspace.com/prometheuscomplex
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:35 pm

Anyone want to sign my petition to get this movie properly released on DVD? :D

:color: :color: :color:
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:47 pm

you know, G-Fan, you should e-mail Classic Media about your petition so they at least even know about its existence.

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby kaijubringer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:51 pm

There's nothing particularly absurd about FCTW's story -- at least, in relation to the Toho universe as a whole. Fans should remember that even the later Universal Studios Frankenstein movies brought in Dracula, the Wolfman, and so on -- adding to the implausiblity factor considerably, compared to the 1931 film.
The premise of FCTW is not only interesting and original, it seems to - dare we say-- logically continue the saga of the Frankenstein monster. If such a monster existed in central Europe during the 1930s (I am referring to the situation portrayed in the the Universal film series, not the novel) it's plausible that it, or what was left of it, would have ended up in the hands of the Nazis during the 1940s. And as for sending it to Japan to aid their war effort after a defeat for Germany was inevitable, parallels exist in the actual history of WW 2 -- the Germans did send prototypes and/or plans of some of their most advanced weapons to Japan even as the Third Reich crumbled.
Then the whole idea of the monster becoming a giant and heroically fighting a prehistoric monster was just, well cool. And perfectly consistent with the conventions of most of Toho's movies. Comparisons to movies like GvsMegalon seem unjust. There was nothing campy about the fight scenes between Frankie and Baragon.
kaijubringer
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:55 pm

Yeah, I tend to agree with you here. Once I got over myself and my expectations of what I thought a Giant monster movie "should" be I have found most of them great fun. I suppose I felt like, and I'm big enough to admit this now, that I had to hold something "perfect" up in front of OTHER people so that my little hobby was something that could be taken seriously by me, and THROUGH others. I feared some sort of backlash from others because of the stigma associated with Kaiju films. What was I thinking??

Now I am proud to say that I really could'nt give a flip over what other people say. It's MY thing, you know? Often times, outside attitudes just get in the way and adherence to them will pollute ya with contridiction. I personally don't care about attitudes, and I don't mind allowing contridiction in my life and in my personality :P

By the way, I was useing the word "absurd" in a loveing way (in case you could'nt tell :wink: ). Also, I found the final battle to be a riot!! How could someone not? These are the Toho conventions that I embrace!! This is what made the Frankenstein monster so likable!!! I get the same feeling, the same excitment, when watching Megalon's little hand (drill-bit??) clap, or Jet Jag's (as it were) hammy portrayl. Frank was all over the place!! Leaping and rolling and bounceing off Baragon... and when his little skinny-azz picked Baragon up over his head and all that... Man that's just funny!! It's f'ing great. When I see physics defied like that I just got to bust a gut :lol:

But yeah, that word "camp" is just problematic. What is camp? What isn't camp? Can anything potentially become camp? Is Brittney Spears campy? Maybe not if compared to say Black Sabbath. Maybe so if combared to Mozart. I dunno. It seems that if one doesn't have a taste for so-called "camp" then it's a bad thing. And one might not like the usage if it is used to describe their hobby. It all depends on the context I guess so just create your own!!
"If you can take the hot lead enema, then you can cast the first stone." - Lenny Bruce
zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:49 pm

"Camp" originally meant "unintentionally hilarious". Not everything is camp, or even funny even if cry-ticks- I mean critics use the word like that.

Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby Rodanex » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:20 pm

Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby kaijubringer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:31 pm

kaijubringer
Godzilla

Postby GFan » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:10 pm

GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:29 pm

zekend01
Godzilla

Postby kaijubringer » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:27 pm

BTW, while the word "camp" may have originally meant unintentionally funny, and still does, there is another meaning: that which is intentionally bad. The classic example is the 1960s Batman television series. The silly dialouge, obviously fake "effects" like the notorious "climbing buildings" scenes, and so on, were not the result of inept filmmaking. It was a deliberate approach. The 1980s Flash Gordon movie is another example of this style of camp.
kaijubringer
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:24 pm

zekend01
Godzilla

Postby Garasharp K7 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:41 pm

"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby kaijubringer » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:43 pm

kaijubringer
Godzilla

Postby zekend01 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:25 pm

Yeah K-B, it's all about personal taste I guess. I liked Godzilla originally because my uncles tuned into them at my grandmother's house. I was like 2 or 3 and they were around 10 and 12. I looked up to them then and the impression they made on me when they were like: " 'Godzilla Raids Again' comes on at three, and after that 'Godzilla vs the Bionic Monster' comes on at 5:00!!". Their excitment became my excitment I guess. Now they could care less about the big G, being that they are "grown up", but I will always remember those days when life was good and simple. Godzilla has been encoded in my memory on an emotional level, and hence my taste for, and "forgiveness" toward, all those Toho movies. They are an important part of who I am, and I am better connected to that purer part of myself when I can enjoy a Kaiju movie in spite of what I have "learned" along the way. :wink:

Hey Garasharp K7, I took those Batman shows serious too at the time!! I couldn't wait for the concluding episodes to finish those cliff-hangers. And Flash blew my mind when it came out. Me and my pals use to play act like we were the characters from the movie so you KNOW it was important then :lol: It was either Flash or Star Wars or Battle Of The Planets, if memory serves, that we were acting out on the school playground... those were fun days 8-)
zekend01
Godzilla

Previous

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!