[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Space Monster Wangmagwi! • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Space Monster Wangmagwi!

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Space Monster Wangmagwi!

Postby sentaison » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:02 pm

I've watched the SRS Blu-ray release of this "lost classic" and I have to say that it's not bad. Not great mind you, and I think it's supposed to be something of a comedy in tone. The physical effects are good with excellent miniature work, and the monster is remarkably unique in it's look. What's really impressive is the quality of the movie itself. Really sharp and crisp, making the black and white film easy to watch.

The plot is very basic, aliens drop a monster on earth to test it's defenses. None of the characters have any depth to them, and there are times that the monster attack is background for comedic escapades by them.

It's worth a watch, especially if your a kaiju completist. But just don't expect anything extraordinary or mind blowing. This was obviously made more for laughs for a Korean audience, and not as competition for the Toho kaiju juggernaut.
sentaison
Godzilla

Re: Space Monster Wangmagwi!

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:12 pm

My copy has arrived and I'll try to watch it on Sunday.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:23 pm

What a fun movie this turned out to be! I was surprised by how much of a deliberate comedy it is, from the kid crawling around inside the monster's ears and sinuses to the two guys betting everything they have to see which of them can stay put the longest during the monster's rampage. There are two different instances of characters likening the monster to King Kong. At one point there's a guy trapped in a crowded building who can't find a restroom and resorts to squatting over a newspaper in front of everybody.

There are a few moments where it seems like there might be some footage missing. I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet but I'm sure it will shed more light on everything.

I liked this more than Yongary.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:59 am

This is on Tubi now, FYI. The people's streaming site.

... still haven't seen it myself! I ordered it along with my Whale God preorder, so I'll get it when I get the latter.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!