[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Toho and Hammer Role Reversal • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Toho and Hammer Role Reversal

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Toho and Hammer Role Reversal

Postby Gojizilla » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 pm

Let's say that in the late 50s Hammer decided to produce a giant monster film and Toho decided on a gothic horror project. How do you think Hammer would have approached such project? How do you think the film would have turned out? Ditto for Toho and gothic horror.
Gojizilla
Little Godzilla

Re: Toho and Hammer Role Reversal

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:28 am

I have no idea. But that's interesting, because Hammer and Toho are very similar in their fame for genre films.

Toho and Hammer almost made a movie together too, Nessie. Not their first time working with a foreign studio. They made a Vampire-Kung Fu movie with Shaw Brothers too.

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Re: Toho and Hammer Role Reversal

Postby Psycho Soldier » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:13 am

I imagine a Hammer kaiju film could've looked something like Gorgo, with a British setting and similarly striking visuals. I'm sure if they'd made one, it would've turned out well. I'd happily add it to my collection. As for Toho's gothic horror, I'm not certain. It might've turned out okay. I haven't seen their '70s Dracula movies, but that might give you an indication, however slight. I suppose movies like H-Man and The Human Vapour aren't too far off the mark - they may not be gothic horror, but they have horror elements.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!