[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
The Imperial Ambitions of Godzilla • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

The Imperial Ambitions of Godzilla

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Re: The Imperial Ambitions of Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:53 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5422569493

A response to the above video’s response...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:01 pm

^ Ah, I think it would have been a stronger response if he hadn't admitted to the fact that he only skimmed the video! But that's kind of ironic, isn't it? That's a classic YouTuber response video line! I'm pretty sure a fellow like Ryfle doesn't know that, though.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:05 pm

I'd imagine it has a lot to do with how much time you wind up being willing to dedicate to watching something when you've deemed it to come from a place that isn't knowledgeable or really worth your time.

I've only skimmed through reaction videos for example, but can pretty easily say I don't like them.

If your so-called 'objective critical response' features nothing more than your own editorializing and drawing emotional rather than intellectual conclusions while I'm over here using the research that I've done to make points and stating observations, I'm likely to disengage.

(you and I being broad umbrella terms, not specifically YOU and I)

I don't recall this video really specifically, because I have to admit I sorta watched it for a little bit when it was posted and tapped out after about 10 minutes. Way too much "I feel" and "It seems like" and "probably seems like it might have some" and such and no useful actual pull quotes, research or actual experience.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:08 pm

^ Unfortunately, like most video essayists, I think the good points are sort of embedded in the breading like fruit and nuts in a fruitcake. Of course, if you watch a lot of YouTube video essays (and I'm talkin decent ones, not clickbait garbage by dunderheads) you'll see this is sort of endemic to the form. Partially, this is due to the algorithm itself, which favors longer videos, meaning if you even want to make content you have to stretch it to at least a half hour in length if you want any return on your investment.

Nevertheless, I think the video's central conceit that while the storyline reflects the political leanings of the director/writer it is primarily concerned with being an epic disaster film that reflects the cliches and interests of Anno's favorite movies and pop culture (with the overlay of the Fukashima metaphor and imagery, which on some level you would have to do if you were making a Godzilla film in Japan in 2016) and less concerned with being some sort of political screed or extended metaphor. In short, that it's a mistake to assume Milius-level intent.

But to the topic of video essays, (which I want to bring up because I watch a ton of them and, for better or worse, I think it's becoming the replacement for written essays for young people, especially when it comes to writing on pop culture) I like Patrick Willems videos, but even he often ends up padding his material. It doesn't help that he is married to a biweekly schedule. Lindsay Ellis and Natalie Wynn are probably the only real masters of the form at the time being, Lindsey with the breath of her (and her co-writers) encyclopedic knowledge and densely, smartly written script and Natalie with her outrageous and entertaining shtick punctuated be her knowledge and research. It helps that they simply release videos when they are done and don't pump them out the way almost everyone else does. It's a strange new world: now you have to be both critic, writer, and entertainer.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla Films In General