[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
What's your Ultimate top favorite Godzilla look and #1 movie • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

What's your Ultimate top favorite Godzilla look and #1 movie

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

What's your Ultimate top favorite Godzilla look and #1 movie

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm

I know it's impossible to pick One Godzilla and One Movie,..so say your top three? ..that way you can have two runners up.

For me my three favorite movies and looks for Godzilla, (this week anyway) would have to be:

Shin-Godzilla: He's horrifying looking, truly disgusting and monstrous. He really stands out in the franchise as looking like a monster. And it's my #1 movie this week because his Atomic Breath 'excuse me while I destroy everything around me for miles in just a couple of seconds' scene pretty much takes my breath away. It's a truly devastating moment that's awe inspiring.

Godzilla 2000: I'm not crazy about the look of his head, there's something 'flat' looking about it like it's a bit squashed, but I really like the body proportions and the enormous sharp looking spine plates.

Godzilla GMK: I think the head and the eyes are really cool looking, the more muscular arms and long claws look great. And of course the 'White Eyes/No Pupils' looks really cool too. He's a little chubby looking in the gut and the spine plates are very rounded looking, but all in all I like this look and think it has a lot of personality.

My Three favorite Movies this week are probably those three as well, though next week it'll probably be the Original '54 Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante,..and...probably Shin. I consistently like Shin because it looks horrible and like something that crawled out of Hell.

I'm curious if enough people answer will there start to be a particular version of Godzilla that gets mentioned a lot and we start to see a pattern, or if everyone really likes something different when it comes to his 'Look'.

(plus feel free to like the look but hate the movie that look is in. Like if you like GMK Godzilla but don't like the movie, for example.)
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Re: What's your Ultimate top favorite Godzilla look and #1 m

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Well I actually do have a favorite for each, so it's not that hard.

favorite Godzilla look (1991 from G vs KG), this, IMHO is the single most powerful looking & feeling Godzilla. I don't know if it was the sound mix, or effects, or what, but this (being the first time he was 100 meters tall) just made him look so immensely powerful, despite the movies overall flaws. I think Shin Godzilla's CG nature gives him a lack of *weight* even though he is obviously supposed to be bigger, heavier and stronger. Also, I don't know what happened between this and G vs Mothra the next year (1992), but the suit, and effects just lost all its imposing power and feeling...

My favorite film, of course as many here know is Destroy All Monsters (1968). It was for the longest time the film I never could find on TV despite searching TV guide for years. When I did finally get a copy of the Japanese version on VHS in 1991 it did not disappoint, and a bootleg copy of the AIP version from 1992, it was like an old friend with the familiar voices and settings. I know the plot is not as good as some others like Invasion of Astro Monster, but for a lover os monster action like myself, it will always be my favorite, a true classic.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 pm

that GvsKG is a good looking Godzilla.
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Top 1
G'64, GvGigan

Top 5

G'64, GMK, G2K Maquette, G'72, G'91

GvGigan, Shin G, GMK, G'64, GvsMG'74,
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm

For both movies and suits I have the same top 3:

Godzilla (1954)
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante

All three are movies/designs that present Godzilla as a real threat (even if it's being used for contrast with the goofball comedy in KKvsG). I guess I like my Godzilla a little dangerous. :)

Other favorite suits for me would include: '55, '64, '68, '84, '99, '01 and '16.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Cool answers. I'm seeing Shin and GMK a couple times.

Surprised to see KKvsG,..a little surprised.

I wanted to like that movie but really the octopus scene is about the only thing I really remember liking.

I thought Kong looked,....not like Kong. :lol:

vs Biollante was a really good looking Godzilla. ..that whole movie was good. Definitely in my top 10
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm

KKvG is in my top 10 easily. I tend to gravitate more to Fukuda films, but KKvG may be the most Fukuda film that Honda directed.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm surprised you're surprised to see KKvsG. It's one of the most successful and iconic movies in the whole series.

I think the important thing to remember about it is that it is a comedy first and foremost, with Godzilla handled seriously to provide stakes and ultimately to make him an effective straight man to the much goofier Kong.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:05 pm

I didn't know it was so popular. I seem to not care for quite a few that are popular though so I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

I really like the original, it's a dark horror movie and I like the build-up and suspense and how dark they keep Godzilla, (the monster is always scarier when he's not well lit.)

But I love probably the Millennium era movies best (though I enjoyed most of the Showa and Heisei era ones.) Millennium to me seems like the Showa/Heisei films and techniques perfected. Like GMK up to and including the Baragon fight is perfect, (admittedly it sort of falls away after that fight.) ..or the first 20 minutes or so of Godzilla 2000 is perfect. I love the scenes of Godzilla in the distance while they chase him with the truck like tornado chasers. ..actually I liked all of 2000, I've watched that movie a few times and really like the whole thing, but some parts I think are perfect.

Legendary I want to like,..it's not bad, but I like Millennium a lot more. I'm glad to have the Legendary ones though and I'm glad they're doing well and making more. ..I'm kind of bummed the 'man in a suit + miniatures' days seem to be over and everything is CGI now though. While I appreciate the wow factor and neat look of them they don't really 'feel' like Godzilla movies to me.

Though I really liked Shin,..so...who knows.

I probably just don't like Godzilla as comedy. And in KKvsG it seemed to me like the Kong costume was just falling apart or something. I thought it looked pretty bad. Though really out of all the films there's only like 2-3 I really didn't care for. They're all Godzilla, so they're all Good. :P (the one that's all made up of previous movie clips is painful to watch, especially if you're binging the films and actually just watched those movies.) That was the one with the little boy and the kidnapper/robbers, right? I was actually more interested in the robbery and the little boys story then the Godzilla clips they kept forcing in there.
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:30 am

Favorite movie... I usually say it's a tie between Mothra vs. Godzilla and Invasion of Astro Monster, but since the former is arguably more of a sci-fi adventure with Godzilla in it than a 'Godzilla Movie' I'll say Mothra vs. Godzilla.

It stares a bunch of series veterans, is directed by Honda, effects by Tsuburaya, music by Ifukube, and written by Sekizawa - they're the dream team and this movie was made when their skills and their collective collaboration were at their peak. Godzilla is almost as ferocious as he is in the '54 film, but slightly humanized (if you can call it that) by showing that he's not so much intentionally destroying things as he is reacting to what's in his way. Mothra is the perfect opponent for Godzilla because she's the total opposite of him: grace over ferocity, colorful beauty against charred reptilian, and - in the end - smarts over sheer brute force. I also love seeing the military fight Godzilla, and this movie has that in spades, with the electric attacks boasting super-cool optical animation. Sekizawa's script is witty and clever, and Honda apparently added the brotherhood of man speech himself. The Peanuts get a few good songs in, and while Infant Island isn't as impressive as in the original Mothra at least the makeup and costumes for the islanders are much better.

Since I already have Astro Monster as my de facto second place I'll give the third spot to the original Godzilla. It's moody and apocalyptic, rich in subtext and cultural context - it's still technically the best Godzilla movie, I just don't enjoy it the most.

My favorite Godzilla design is... the one from Mothra vs. Godzilla! I love the overall shape, the head, the hands and feet, the dorsal fins. It's great. The '62, '54, '68, '89, and '16 (that would be our boy Shin) designs are also favorites. I quite like the Legendary design and the new anime one. While I love the initial version of the iconic Heisei design used in Biollante and vs. King Ghidorah I think that they never quite got the design right in the movies after that, and by Mechagodzilla II it actually looks kinda bad. I have a love/hate relationship with the GMK design: love so many details, but hate the waddle and the beer belly (which is a result of nixing the hunched forward posture).
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Kaiju_Ultra_Fan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

great answers.

I like that everyone's going into detail about their choices.
Kaiju_Ultra_Fan
Little Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 am

Stuff like this is always hard cause the series is so varied I feel like I'm neglecting other films I enjoy. But outside the original I'd say these are the trio of films I enjoy most in terms of tone -

Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah

Mothra and Ghidorah are top golden era films in my mind, they compare and contrast with each other really well, and GMK is a great contemporary take on that early Showa 'monsters in the real world' type scenario with the monster roles of Ghidorah 64 thrown around (Godzilla as the main threat and so on).
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MekaGojira3k » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Too many favorite looks honestly -
G64, G68, GMK-Goji, Final Wars Goji, Shin

#1 movie anymore seems to be Monster Zero, for whatever reason it's become my absolute favorite.
"We Can't Stop Here, This is Bat Country!"

MekaGojira3k
Millennium Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:24 pm

^ i feel like G'68 is such an iconic suit that it's what most people picture when they think Godzilla - but i rarely see it called out as favorite.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Henry88 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 am

top 3 suits

top 3 movies
godzilla vs mecha godzila 74

godzilla vs gigan

godzilla vs the smog monster
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/
Henry88