[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
First seen/owned/subbed/theatrical • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

First seen/owned/subbed/theatrical

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Re: First seen/owned/subbed/theatrical

Postby XvGojira » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:44 pm

This is kind of tough. I don't remember a time before Godzilla. I literally grew up watching the movies. According to my mother, I was a master of the TV remote by the age of two and was a pro channel surfer and the thing that I finally stopped on was a Godzilla movie. So I don't even remember what exactly the first movie I saw.

The same could kind of be said for First Owned as well, since I can't remember which one I got first. And there's also the fact that the first ones were probably recorded onto VHS from renting copies. But the oldest store bought Godzilla movie I had was King Kong vs Godzilla... I think.

Subtitled is a bit easier. At the first G-Con I picked up Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla '93 bootleg VHS. But if we're talking non-bootleg then it would be the DVDs back in the early 2000's brought out by Sony and Classic Media. Some quick searching on blu-ray.com it looks like Son of Godzilla was the first DVD with Japanese language track and English subtitles.

With theatrical, I'm assuming we are not going to count movies at conventions, so it would be Godzilla 1998.

First seen: ????
First owned: King Kong vs Godzilla ???
First subtitled: Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla '93/Son of Godzilla
First theatrical: Godzilla 1998
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm

First Seen: ???
I was around two years old the first time I ever saw Godzilla, wandering around while my parents were channel-surfing and stopped in my tracks when he showed up on the screen. My parents had no recollection of what movie it could have been. It was probably a 60s film, but hell if I know which.

First Owned: Godzilla vs. Megalon
That well-worn VHS, sold as a two-pack with Gorgo, survived years of rewatching and abuse, before it finally succumbed to mold damage following a hurricane.

First Subtitled: GMK? Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla?
This is a really tough one. The only way I could ever have gotten a Japanese version of a movie was via DVD, I never ventured into the murky bootleg club waters, and a lot of Sony's releases that finally included the Japanese versions came out around the same time. This could also be GMK, as I know I bought that around the same time in college.

First Theatrical: Don't Make Me Count '98
I don't think I was lucky enough to see 2000 in a theater, so it would probably be Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I hosted an event in college to show off Godzilla movies in an auditorium and started with that one, followed by GMK.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:33 am

First Seen: Astro Monster
First Owned: Godzilla vs. Destroyah
First Subtitled: Godzilla 2000
First Theatrical: Astro Monster
First Love: Shin Godzilla
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby superhedorahsaiyan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:05 pm

First Seen: Godzilla vs the Smog Monster
First Owned: Godzilla King of the Monsters (1954)
First Subtitled: Godzilla vs Biolante
First Theatrical: Godzilla 1985
superhedorahsaiyan
Baby Godzilla

Previous

Return to Godzilla Films In General