[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Which altered films are considered separate entities? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Which altered films are considered separate entities?

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Which altered films are considered separate entities?

Postby Zack Metoyer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Something I've always wondered. In general, the rights to one of Toho's Godzilla films seems to include both the original Japanese version, as well as any US cuts, provided that materials exist. But I do believe there are exceptions to this rule.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters seems to be considered a separate film. It was given a theatrical and home video release in Japan, and I believe Toho licenses this out as an entirely separate film than Godzilla. Is that correct? If so, what is the rationale for it? Does it have to do with the amount of footage cut or added, or does it go back to something specific to the original agreement established with US movie makers?

Godzilla 1985 was released to home video in Japan. The parallel here is obvious, since it continues the story line from King of the Monsters, although the edits are much less extensive. Is this considered a separate film by Toho? Do they license it separately?

Do any other films in the series follow this pattern?
Zack Metoyer
Godzilla

Re: Which altered films are considered separate entities?

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't know if any of the films are considered separate entities. Certainly not in America. If you own the rights to the US version (Classic Media: King of the Monsters, Universal: King Kong vs. Godzilla, ????: Godzilla 1985) then you own the rights to the Japanese version. The problem then becomes a question of materials.

There exist materials for companies to do their own transfers of Gojira....there do not exist such materials for King Kong vs. Godzilla, thus, if Universal wanted to include the Japanese cut, they'd need to request the materials from Toho, which would cost time and money.

As to Toho on their end, I wonder. I can't imagine they wouldn't own the Japanese rights to the US cuts of the films, but then again, I'm not the man who knows...I think there actually IS a rights issue when it comes to Toho's ownership of the US versions, hence why the AIP dubs are almost never included in things. (although again, that might be a MATERIALS/SOURCING issue and not at all a rights issue).
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Return to Godzilla Films In General