[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 130: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Watch Mojo's top 10 Godzilla movies • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Watch Mojo's top 10 Godzilla movies

Discuss items of general interests about all the Godzilla films--actors, favorite G suits. etc.

Moderator: Controllers

Watch Mojo's top 10 Godzilla movies

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgZGx1F9cA4

I expect there to be fanboy rage. :mrgreen:
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Re: Watch Mojo's top 10 Godzilla movies

Postby Legion » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm

GFW before Mothra vs Godzilla, huh?

Screw that....
http://legion1979.tumblr.com/

Hello, Nice Warners! - A Thorough Analysis of Every Animaniacs Episode
Legion
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm

The thing I hate about these kinds of lists, is that they seem to lend credibility to the ratings despite being just one person's opinion. This mirrors James Rolfes (AVGN) pretty closely. Here's how they rate the order, the number is how much further up or down the list the movie is for me:

Godzilla (Godzilla, King of the Monsters) [1954] 0
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah -12
Godzilla: Final Wars -23
Mothra vs. Godzilla 0
Godzilla vs. Destroyah -10
Terror of MechaGodzilla +1
Godzilla vs. Hedorah -11
Godzilla (1984) +5
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster +1
Invasion of Astro-Monster +1
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:17 pm

Six of their picks also make my top 10 list, and two others make my almost favorites list (which I'm actually writing a post about right now in Word, and will be putting up here and on TK in a little bit). Certainly, it's a strange list compared to what is, in my experience, "fan consensus" (which wouldn't give nearly such high ranking to my beloved Hedorah or to GFW).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 am

Yeah, I definitely disagree with the list as Hedorah and Final Wars definitely do not belong anywhere in the top 10, ESPECIALLY Final Wars. I can see why they would put Destroy All Monsters on here, but neither MG93 or Biollante?!
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jorzilla » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:58 am

What the general public likes about Godzilla movies and what Godzilla fans like about Godzilla movies are not at all in alignment. Case in point, here's the ranking of all Godzilla movies based on IMDB scores:

Godzilla 7.3
GMK 7
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla 6.8
Godzilla vs Destroyah 6.6
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS 6.5
Godzilla Final Wars 6.5
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster 6.4
Mothra vs Godzilla 6.3
Destroy All Monsters 6.3
Godzilla vs Biollante 6.3
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah 6.3
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II 6.3
Godzilla vs Megaguirus 6.3
Invasion of the Astro-Monster 6.1
Godzilla Raids Again 6
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 6
Terror of Mechagodzilla 5.9
Godzilla 1985 5.8
King Kong vs Godzilla 5.7
Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle for the Earth 5.7
Godzilla 2000 5.7
Godzilla vs the Smog Monster 5.6
Godzilla vs Gigan 5.4
Godzilla vs Space Godzilla 5.4
Godzilla (1998) 5.2
Son of Godzilla 4.9
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep 4.5
Godzilla's Revenge 4
Godzilla vs Megalon 3.8
Jorzilla
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Psycho Soldier » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:42 am

I've seen dumber rankings than the one in the video. Honestly, my main objection is that the video makers don't sell us on the quality of the movies. I don't have a problem with someone putting TOMG in their top 10, for example, but the reasoning (such as it is) is really flimsy. Titanosaurus is cool, and... that's basically the main point. Nothing about the outstanding tone, nothing about the human story, very little about the monster fights (except the clips that are shown). There's some plot description, which is appreciated, but so what? I get that they're probably trying to work under a time limit, but surely you can accomplish more than this in 11 minutes.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64!"
Psycho Soldier
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:42 pm

The thing is (and I've said this elsewhere, but) it seems to me that the person making the list enjoys MOST of these movies on an ironic level. They even claim Gojira has "cute charm" (or whatever the actual direct quote is) and then proceed to show the scene where the mom is trying to calm her kids as a wall of radioactive fire bears down on them and will soon cause them terrible agony and death. Yes, VERY charming. :roll:

I'll admit that at least half the movies in the series are ironic fun stupidity, but I also get irritated when people can't bring themselves to admit that at least a few of the films are actually GOOD despite not having high-dollar effects.

I also take umbrage with two 90s films making a top 5, but honestly, I've seen worse lists. In fact, you could more or less take this list and add in one of Jun Fukuda's better films and give it to somebody and say, "Watch these movies and you'll have a solid idea of everything Godzilla has to offer."
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Gman2887 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 pm

I love this list in a sort of ironic way. Largely I enjoy it due to the scoffing of elitists, but that's a personal pleasure I get from any fandom.

Jokes aside, while it's certainly not my list I can see why this set might be considered by a casual group of fans. The movies listed are quite varied and give a pretty good idea of the series is like, more or less. This something for everyone to enjoy in that set.
Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 pm

At least they got the top two slots correct.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:38 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!! » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:59 am

Watch Mojo's lists are so damn dumb, I ignore them altogether.

They had a list of TOP 10 WOMEN WRESTLERS OF ALL TIME.

They were all "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" WWE womens wrestlers, no mention of any women from WCW, or any of the indy leagues or Mexico or Japan. And a good half of them just can't "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" wrestle. Ayumi Kurihara, or Sarah Stock/Dark Angel is not on the list, but STACEY KIEBLER IS?!

Ultraman. Is a Dick. A Big Dick.
Shin_Edda_Robo!!!!!
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 am

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Godzilla Films In General