[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
what IS the voice of Gamera ??? • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

what IS the voice of Gamera ???

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

what IS the voice of Gamera ???

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am

Watched Jiger and GotU over the weekend. First, it was so cool that the trilogy crew didn't mess with Gamera's trademark roar. (By choice or mandated by Daiei?) Too many tweaks or outright re-do's for Godzilla's rogue's gallery voices (Rodan, KG) in the Heisei films that were BAD and completely unnecessary.

Then I simply got to wondering... most of us know the story behind the creation of Godzilla's iconic roar. Does anyone know the story of Gamera's?? Listening to it in those films, I can't really place it as anything familiar (animal roar slowed down and/or reversed or whatnot) or even close to a sound I know (squealing tires, creaking metal hinge, etc.). Although a squealing tire is kinda... close. LOL

So... what exactly makes up Gamera's signature cries??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!!
Jinzo Ningen
Heisei Godzilla

Re: what IS the voice of Gamera ???

Postby H-Man » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Isn't it just modified from elephant noises?

The only thing I outright disliked about Gamera, the Brave was that the filmmakers replaced the classic roar with that awful stock sound effect.
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Pretty sure Gamera's roar is a modified animal noise.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 am

I've always loved that roar, and wondered about its origins. It doesn't sound elephantine to me, though.

Now that the thought is in my mind, I'm curious about other kaiju roars. Rodans has been a favorite of mine too, and I always wanted to know how it was done. Time to hit up Google.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby Rody » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:06 pm

^Rodan has one of the best monster roars, for sure. I recall hearing/reading somewhere that Rodan's roar was conceived in a very similar manner to Godzilla's. From what I've heard of (presumably) the original samples, I think that lines up:

Rody
Godzilla

Postby GFan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:03 am

I love that so many classic kaiju roars were created using vari-speed analog tape effects. It gives them a uniqueness that sets them apart from traditional generic animal roar sounds. I'd really like to know how Gamera's roar was made as well, it's definitely something sped-up, but I could never tell if it's musical in origin or animal sound.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby EricDent » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Gamera kinda sounds like an Elephant (maybe sped up & backwards with a loop)?
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
EricDent
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!