[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
My Opinion of the Gamera Trilogy • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

My Opinion of the Gamera Trilogy

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

My Opinion of the Gamera Trilogy

Postby emeGoji » Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:38 pm

I wrote this up a long time ago on the old boards. I suppose it's a fitting start for the new ones.

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

Story/Characters
Top notch. Definitely the best way to introduce Gamera, the Gyaos, Asagi and the rest of the main characters. Even after seeing the later films I still believe that the Gyaos were the perfect villian for the first film...I mean it wouldn't be right to start out with Legion even if the Gyaos aren't that strong. All of the characters balanced out and worked well together.

SPFX/Soundtrack
Both the spfx and the soundtrack blow away anything seen in the Heisei Godzilla series.

My Rating: 08/10
Was an entertaining introductory film. The acting and characters were believable and they didn't take a backseat to the kaiju action.

Gamera 2: Advent of Legion

Story/Characters
The story in G2 is a great improvement over G1. Well thought out and kept up the suspense. Again great character interaction helped move the film along at a great pace, I was enjoying it so much that it ended before I knew it. The Legion itself was extremely menacing and should have won that battle, and IMHO could take out any incarnation of Godzilla. I didn't mind the way the film ended at all, it kind of reminded me of Gokou from DBZ pulling off a Genki Dama at the last minute (and that's a good thing).

SPFX/Soundtrack
The spfx in G2 is greatly improved over G1 which IS saying something. Legion looked really impressive. The Legion swarm was really cool and looked much better than the aggregate (sp?) Destoroyahs, and looked stunning while in flight. Gamera looked much more realistic and his elbow spikes were changed for the better. The soundtrack was perfect, and greatly enhanced certain scenes.

My Rating: 09/10
G2 damn near struck a perfect balance between story, character drama, and action. Legion is without question the most original and well designed kaiju since Biollante. I hate to overly hype the film for anybody that hasn't seen it yet...but damn is it good.

Gamera 3: Incomplete Struggle

Story/Characters
The story is better in G3 than in G1 and is slightly better than G2 IMHO. It was deep and moving, balancing well with the kaiju action. Some people believe there was too much story and not enough kaiju action but I strongly disagree. If anything it enhanced the kaiju action and made it more important. The characters are basically the same from G1 (which is a great thing since by now they feel like family) and it was great to see them evolve and come full circle since the original. Again the ending didn't bother me...the flaming fist seemed almost like Gokou's Dragon Fist attack from the last DBZ film (am I seeing a pattern here?).

SPFX/Soundtrack
This is where this movie shines the most. Words cannot describe how this movie looks and sounds, so I'm not even going to attempt it. If you haven't seen it then I urge you to get this film right NOW, those who have seen it know what I'm talking about. The Gyaos never looked better, Iris was stunning, and Gamera looked :shock:. Don't get me started on the sky battle and the final confrontation because I could sing it's praises till the end of time.

My Rating: 10/10
While the story/characters and soundtrack soared, some would say the kaiju action was lacking somewhat. I however disagree. The action was great and simply mindblowing, leaving the viewer enjoying themselves so much that when it's over it seems like it wasn't long enough. I simply cannot praise this film enough, definitely the best kaiju film ever made.
emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Buckaroobwana » Sat Aug 09, 2003 10:04 pm

Buckaroobwana

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:21 am

Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby Legion_DK » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:23 am

Legion_DK

Postby Mothra » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:09 pm

Mothra

Postby emeGoji » Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:07 pm

emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby AngilasGuy » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:25 pm

"Calling a Gamera film the best kaiju ever made is bold. There are alot of fans who will jump on you, saying that the title belongs to Godzilla(1954). "

Actually I agree with Otaku, its like my favorite ever.
AngilasGuy
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gman2887 » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:56 pm

Gman2887
Burning Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:28 am

SparkieGojira

Postby Ultraseven » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:10 pm

Ultraseven
Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:23 pm

[quote="Buckaroobwana"]Calling a Gamera film the best kaiju ever made is bold. There are alot of fans who will jump on you, saying that the title belongs to Godzilla(1954).[quote]

i think that title should belong to the one film that started it all and thats...

King Kongunless we're talking only about japanese kaiju
then i have no idea what the best is.

Sure G3 is a good film but not the greatest
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:51 pm

Jeez, it's obvious that some people just hate Gamera because people started saying that his movies were better then Godzilla's. Can't Godzilla '54 and Gamera 3 both be the greatest kaiju movie, that's what they seem to be to me.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby CyHunter » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:27 pm

CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby Emkaiju-Gojira » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:44 pm

Emkaiju-Gojira

Postby JordanGLC » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:35 pm

Let those who worship evil's might, beware my power...

JordanGLC
Godzilla

Postby emeGoji » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:24 am

emeGoji
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Andrew Nguyen » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:59 am

Andrew Nguyen
Heisei Godzilla

Return to Gamera Films!