[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Destroy All Planets: An Appreciation • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Destroy All Planets: An Appreciation

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Destroy All Planets: An Appreciation

Postby Danny B » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:24 pm

Danny B

Postby GiganGoji » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:27 am

My neighbor just lent me this.

I wish Gamera would save me from MY Boy Scout Troop!
GiganGoji
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:03 am

This movie is good in its own childish, charming, insane weirdness. I enjoy it more than a lot of the other old Gamera movies.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Dagarah72 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:43 pm

The ping-pong ball spaceship, and Viras' design were great. Also the decapitation scene. I could've done without the stock footage, especially of Gamera under the alien control and attacking Tokyo (taken from Gamera The Invincible), but it's tolerable. Much more so than in Super Monster!

Ricky
Dagarah72
Godzilla

Postby StevenScrivello » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:33 am

StevenScrivello
Godzilla

Postby Xenorama » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:05 pm

Xenorama
Monster 01

Postby StevenScrivello » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:57 pm

StevenScrivello
Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Well, I don't know that I'd say I really have much of an appreciation for this film (whether you want to call it "Destroy All Planets", "Gamera Vs. Viras", etc.) but it did have some mildly entertaining spots throughout. The use of the stock footage from the original "Gamera" doesn't bug me that much (though the red-tinted black and white footage didn't really mix to believably with the color footage of the rest of the movie :roll: ) since it was used as part of the film's actual storyline (unlike the complete waste of 20 minutes or so by showing scenes of Gamera's battles with Barugon and Gaos to help fill up the film's approx. 90 running time!).

Overall, when it comes to the Gamera films to date, I can't really say that I'm a Gamera fan, I like some of the movies but most of them could be much better than they actually are. I have all the movies in my collection and will continue getting them for the simple fact that Gamera is the 2nd most famous kaiju after Godzilla (whom I'm DEFINITELY a fan of :!: :D ), and without Gamera my kaiju collection just wouldn't feel complete. So here's my ratings for all the Gamera films to date, out of 4 *s:

Gamera **1/2
Gamera Vs. Barugon **1/2
Gamera Vs. Gaos **
Gamera Vs. Viras *1/2
Gamera Vs. Guiron **
Gamera Vs. Jiger *1/2
Gamera Vs. Zigra **1/2
Gamera, Super Monster ***
Gamera 1 **
Gamera 2 **1/2
Gamera 3 *

As for "Gamera: Little Braves", I will say that I have my concerns for how well the film will actually turn out, but I will also say that I'm very thankful they've decided to go back to more fun and entertaining style of the older Gamera films as opposed to the (mostly, with the exception of "Gamera 2") overly boring Kaneko trilogy.
Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:52 pm

I've only seen the American versions of the Showa Gamera movies. I'm not sure whether Gamera vs. Viras or Gamera vs. Zigra is the most boring of them all, but they're both horrendous. Major "OH GODZILLA! WHAT TERRIBLE LANGUAGE!" props to Gamera vs. Barugon, Gamera vs. Jiger, and especially Gamera vs. Guiron, with slightly better just-suckage props to Giant Monster Gamera and Gamera vs. Gyaos (which I found pretty entertaining by the way). I still haven't seen Space Monster Gamera at all.

Who knows, maybe when I get the high-quality and uncut region 2 DVDs, I might enjoy the movies more.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Kaiju Nexus » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:28 am

"Because, if we didn't debate over silly nonsense, we wouldn't be fans. :) "

- pocketmego
Kaiju Nexus
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:53 am

Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gfan54 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:54 am

Gfan54
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Packmule » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:05 am

Gamera Vs Viras-thumbs up: the advent of the Gamera march song, the scenes where the aliens' eyes glow, and Viras itself, if nothing else a unique monster design, and the final battle between Gamera and Viras--thumbs down: the Viras alien ship, which looks like revolving yellow-jacket abdomens(sounds weird but that's what it looks like to me), and the "boy scout" uniforms sported by Carl Craig and fellow "scouts" Overall: passable entry in the Showa Gamera series.
Packmule

Postby kidnicky » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Twitter rxchrisg
kidnicky
Burning Godzilla

Postby August » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:53 pm

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Postby planetxleader » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:26 pm

Last edited by planetxleader on Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby August » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:50 am

August Ragone
Showa GAMERA Special Features Producer
Blog
August
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Gamera Films!