[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
I laughed so hard that orange juice came out of my nose... • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

I laughed so hard that orange juice came out of my nose...

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Minako-chan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:04 am

^

Yes, proof enough that their is a good.

*needs to be outside the computer a little more*
Minako-chan

Postby DannyBeane » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:20 am

^Huh?
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Minako-chan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:39 am

Crap! I meant their is proof enough that their is a God some where.
Minako-chan

Postby SparkieGojira » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:39 pm

SparkieGojira

Postby anguirus23 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:42 pm

anguirus23

Postby Minako-chan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:08 pm

Minako-chan

Postby kpa » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:53 pm

Keith
kpa
Monster 01

Postby anguirus23 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:45 pm

anguirus23

Postby Gendou » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:24 pm

Gendou

Postby CyHunter » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Ah...what the hey.

:lol:
CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby SparkieGojira » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:24 am

SparkieGojira

Postby dalecooper » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:33 am

If I might offer an opinion as a relative newcomer -

G3 was the first kaiju movie I had seen since G2K. I'm not exactly a fanboy; I guess you could say I have a moderate enthusiasm for these movies. I only own a few DVDs of them: the original Godzilla, the first Gamera, G3, GMK... and used VHS copies of G2K and Godzilla vs. Biollante.

To me, G3 seemed somewhat overrated. First, though, it does a lot of things very well. The look of the movie and the majority of the technical stuff is unparalleled for the genre. The CGI and the flying battle are gorgeous - very intense. The plot and characters are interesting.

The problems with it, I think, are much the same as what this reviewer listed. The pacing is pretty slow... anyone who watches these movies mainly to see giant monsters kicking each other's butts and destroying a lot of Tokyo may get bored during the lengthy periods of plot development and exposition, and I was occasionally less-than-transfixed (although other parts, mainly the scenes with young Iris, were well done). And for the same reason, the final confrontation was disappointing. My favorite bit of any giant monster movie is the rampage in the city/destroy lots of stuff scene. Ideally, there should be more than one. The last battle, IMO, would have been both more entertaining AND more dramatic if it had been preceded by five or ten minutes of full-on assault, the kind you usually get in even the hokiest Godzilla movies. I would have felt more for Gamera if I had a stronger sense that he was tired, that he was truly cornered and desperate, etc. I wasn't feeling it, and when it ended I was like "man, that could have been MUCH longer." (However, the preceding aerial battle was AWE-INSPIRING.)

I understand that popular opinion is that G3 is the best kaiju movie ever, and GMK was somewhat disappointing, but I have to say that I enjoyed GMK more - mainly because it delivered on the fight scenes and higher energy level, while still having good characters, a respectable plot, and a pretty good look to it (not quite up to G3 in that area though). Technically it's not as strong as G3, and the plot is more cliched in parts, but the pacing is better, the battles are better and occur more often, and I also have to admit - I love Godzilla, Force of Destruction. Hero Godzilla never did it for me. Let Gamera save things... Godzilla is about destroying things.

Don't misinterpret - Gamera 3 is a great kaiju movie, one that I really enjoyed and will be watching again (probably after I get around to buying the 2nd one so I can complete the set). But on a couple key fronts, I think GMK wins out, for me.
Last edited by dalecooper on Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dalecooper

Postby Severn » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:40 am

As much as I love Gamera 3 I must say that Gamera 2 is probably the best overall one. The FX, soundtrack, characters, kaiju battles, ending... Excellent overall. I think it suffers from the middle child syndrome. People love the first one and people go ape over the third one but part seems to get the "it's good but not as good as..." treatment.
Severn

Postby Minako-chan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:35 pm

Minako-chan

Postby CyHunter » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:18 am

CyHunter
Burning Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:44 pm

Artisanal Practical Effects & Kaiju Content
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Lord Ghidorah » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:32 am

Does anyone else listen to Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" and think of "Save the Earth?"
Lord Ghidorah
Godzilla Jr.

Postby dalecooper » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:31 am

dalecooper

Postby GiganGoji » Thu May 27, 2004 7:21 pm

GiganGoji
Heisei Godzilla

Previous

Return to Gamera Films!