[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3906)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 138: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 141: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
Gamera vs Viras... Terrible, Terrible movie • Monster Zero x SciFi Japan - Archive Only

Gamera vs Viras... Terrible, Terrible movie

Spinning flame-jetted turtles, space birds being chopped up like bologna, kids in shorts screaming for help...the original Gamera series was a strange mix of wacky fun!! The 90's Gamera films set a standard that other kaiju films are measured against! Discuss Gamera films here!!

Moderator: Controllers

Postby Gwangi » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Put me in on the side of those who like this movie. What David said is quite true. This was the first ever Gamera movie I saw, and the stock footage did not bother me one bit. (As a kid, I wanted to see monsters fighting, and that is exactly what I got).

In viewing it today, yes, I now think the stock footage is a tad too long, but looking past that, the movie is still enjoyable. The cool looking flying saucer, the aliens with their cold sinister stares (looking at this as a kid, it was quite alarming), and Jim and Maseo, who were certainly mischievous, but never ever annoying. Their exploring the Viras spaceship I thought was so cool. Nothing of that sort was even seen in the Godzilla series.
Last edited by Gwangi on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 pm

I actually think this is one of the better Showa Gamera movies
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Garasharp K7 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:54 am

"Godzilla's the one with the bad breath." - Minya
Garasharp K7
Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:38 pm

I've never seen Zigra or Super Monster Gamera (or whatever it's called) [can't find Zigra anywhere]

but this movie's pretty bad...I thought it was by far the worst of the Gamera films...but then, the whole Showa series other than Gammera, The Invincible are pretty bad and Gamera vs. Gyaos are pretty bad...I'm probably gonna try to sell back those DVDs...I've seen 'em once and that's all I'll ever need, partly because they are the awful ADV versions...

Gammera the Invincible ***1/2
Gamera vs. Barugon (aka Barugon featuring a hint of Gamera) **
Gamera vs. Gyaos **1/2
Gamera vs. Viras *
Gamera vs. Guiron *1/2
Gamera vs. Jiger **
Gamera, Guardian of the Universe ****
Gamera 2 ***1/2
Gamera 3 ** (it was an OK movie but it's just not re-watchable for me...)
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby planetxleader » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 am

"Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "RAAAAAHHHOOO!!!'"
planetxleader
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:50 am

Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:06 pm

lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby MouthForWar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:56 pm

Kaiju Transmissions Podcast-

If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It Podcast
MouthForWar
Controller

Postby Giganfan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:51 am

Well, let me put it this way. I'm a big fan of the Showa Gamera films, but Destroy All Planets isn't one of my absolute favorites. It has some cool things about it (a neat story, cool aliens, groovy spaceship, cool monster), but I personally prefer Attack of the Monsters (Guiron). Just the fact that it takes place almost entirely on a different planet makes it one of the coolest monster movies ever!

Let's see, I haven't really watched a Gamera film in a long time (except a couple days ago, but I just scimmed through the DVDs a bit), but based on my memory of things, this is how I'd rank the Showa Gamera movies against themselves...

Attack of the Monsters (Guiron) ***
Giant Monster Gamera (both U.S. & Jap.) ****
Return of The Giant Monsters ****
War of the Monsters (Barugon) *** & 1/2
Gamera vs. Monster X (Jiger) ***
Destroy All Planets ***
Gamera vs. Zigra ** (I'm being a wee-bit generous with this one)

I didn't include Supermonster because the copy I have is without subtitles, and I don't really feel like watching it all the way through without knowing what's going on.
"EVERYONE FORGET YOUR TROUBLES! ENJOY YOURSELVES!THERE'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!" - Gigantis The Fire Monster

"It was HUGE...It was...IT WAS LIKE A MONSTER!!! Suddenly the rocks rose...ALIVE!" - Godzilla 1985
Giganfan

Previous

Return to Gamera Films!