GODZILLA VS. KONG Weekend 1 Box Office Report
Comscore has announced the official worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of April 4, 2021, as compiled by the company’s theatrical measurement services. As the trusted official standard for real-time worldwide box office reporting, Comscore provides the only theater-level reporting in the world. Customers are able to analyze admissions and gross results around the world using Comscore’s suite of products.
Of primary interest to SciFi Japan readers is the strong box office debut for GODZILLA VS. KONG. “The importance of the bigger than expected performance of GvK cannot be overstated,” Paul Dergarabedian, Sr. Media Analyst for Comscore, told SFJ. “Pre-release speculation was all over the map and despite the predictions for the end of the movie theater experience as we know it, the movie fans who spoke volumes with their enthusiasm for the big screen this weekend and the bigger than expected opening numbers tell a very positive story for the theatrical experience now and in the future.”
Comscore – Sunday Estimates – Weekend Box Office Roundup – April 4, 2021
A re-cap of this weekend’s notable performers as reported by their respective distributors.
Please note that 55% of all North American Theaters are currently open.
■ North American Openers:
Warner Bros.’ GODZILLA VS KONG absolutely astounds with a pandemic best opening FSS of $32.2M and a record 5-day total of $48.5M in North America. Pandemic records include for the film includes Largest Number of Locations: 3.064, Largest opening day: $9.6M, Laergest Single Day: Saturday $12.5M, Largest opening weekends both 3-day FSS and 5-Day frame.
Sony released Screen Gems’ religious supernatural PG-13 horror film THE UNHOLY that posted an opening three-day opening weekend total of $3.2M in 1,850 locations.
Atlas Distribution opened THE GIRL WHO BELIEVES IN MIRACLES in 680 locations to a weekend debut of $580,068.
■ Notable North American Performers:
Universal’s NOBODY now in its second weekend in North America earned $3.070M in 2,567 locations for a PTA of $1,199 and a N. Am. cume through Sunday of $11.874M. The action suspense film stars Bob Odenkirk, Christopher Lloyd, Connie Nielsen, Aleksey Serebryakov, RZA, Gage Munroe and is directed by Ilya Naishuller.
Disney’s RAYA AND THE LAST DRAGON now in week 5 earned $2,054,000 in 2,031 theaters for a N. Am. cume through Sunday of $32,186,920.
Roadside Attractions spy thriller THE COURIER now in its third weekend earned $452,201 in 1,322 locations for a cume to date of $4,257,867. Reviews were strong for the film that stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Rachel Brosnahan in a Cold War drama, directed by Dominic Cooke.
Lionsgate’s CHAOS WALKING took in an estimated $380k this weekend from 1,605 locations lifting its estimated cume to $12.2 million to date.
A24’s MINARI now in its eighth weekend took in $109k this weekend in 562 locations for a cume to date of $2,078,912.
■ In International action:
Warner Bros.’ GODZILLA VS KONG grossed an estimated $120.1M globally from 39 markets in release (including the U.S. and Canada). Along with our 5-Day Domestic opening of $48.5M, and the International weekend of $71.6M and running total at $236.9M, the Worldwide tally now stands at $285.4M. In China, an outstanding -37% drop with the weekend taking in RMB 289.9m ($44.2m) on 34,000 screens and bringing the running market cume to RMB 894.6m ($137.1m).
Universal’s NOBODY now in its third weekend internationally earned $2.922M in 11 territories for an international cume to date of $9.218M. Combined with the N. Am. weekend of $3.070M, the global weekend took in $5.992M for a running global cume of $21.092M.
Warner Bros.’ TOM & JERRY grossed an estimated $4.4M globally from 43 markets in release (including the U.S. and Canada), with the Domestic weekend at $1.4M FSS (-48%). The International tally adds up to $3.0M.This brings the Domestic total to $39.5M, The International running cume to $54.0M, and the Worldwide total to date is now $93.5M.
Sony’s PETER RABBIT 2: THE RUNAWAY dropped just 9% in Australia for the Easter weekend to earn $1.9M in its sophomore frame. The film has culled in $4.2M to date with many strong days ahead as school holidays run through the month of April.
Universal’s THE CROODS: A NEW AGE in its 19th weekend earned $962k in 21 international markets. Combined with the 3-day North American weekend of $210k the worldwide weekend generated $1.172Mand the global cume is $162.454M.
■ IMAX Highlights (courtesy of IMAX):
GODZILLA VS KONG builds on last weekend’s massive International opening, earning $13m this weekend, including a Pandemic-best $4.5m Domestic 5-day opening.
Warner Bros./Legendary’s GODZILLA VS KONG explodes onto screens in North America, whilst the International network drops less than 40% in holdover business. With the Domestic network (284 screens) taking the global IMAX screen count to approx. 1170 runs, the Adam Wingard-directed monster showdown delivers a 5-day weekend gross of $13m on IMAX screens and pushes the cume to $28m in global IMAX box office, 10% of the overall box office total to-date.
Domestic IMAX screens account for 9.3% of the nationwide 5-day box office, an impressive feat given significant capacity restrictions across much of North America. With over 1,000 shows sold out (accounting for about 25% of all available IMAX weekend shows), audiences are demonstrating that pent-up demand to experience blockbuster moviemaking on the grandest scale.
That demand for IMAX showtimes produces $4.5m Wednesday through Sunday — the best Domestic IMAX weekend in over a year (since BAD BOYS FOR LIFE in January 2020).
In China, IMAX screens earned $6.5m since Wed ($5.4m Fri-Sun), with a 10-day cume of $18m, the Biggest 10-day IMAX result of the GODZILLA/KONG franchise. The China cume to-date is already nearly double the final IMAX China box office for KONG: SKULL ISLAND and GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS. Only 2014’s franchise re-boot of GODZILLA remains to be beaten in IMAX China box office.
About Comscore, Inc.
Comscore is a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms. With transformative data science and vast audience insights across digital, linear TV, over-the-top (OTT) and theatrical viewership, we are a powerful third-party source for reliable measurement of cross-platform audiences.
For more information on GODZILLA VS. KONG, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- Cameras Roll on Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s GODZILLA VS. KONG
- Toho and Legendary Announce Licensees for GODZILLA VS KONG
- Warner Bros. Pictures Group Announces Innovative, Hybrid Distribution Model For Its 2021 Theatrical Slate
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer (and More) is Here!
- GODZILLA VS. KONG Figure and Keychain Lineup From Funko
- S.H.MonsterArts GODZILLA VS. KONG Figure Info and GIANT Photos — Direct From Bandai!
- GODZILLA VS KONG Japanese Trailer From Toho
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer 2
- Legendary Comics Announces Monstrously Exciting GODZILLA VS KONG Publishing Program
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer 2
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products From Legendary’s Amazon Store
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwanese Trailer and Poster
- GODZILLA VS KONG Comes to Terra Virtua – The World’s First Fully Immersive Collectibles Platform
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwanese TV Spots
- GODZILLA VS KONG TV Spots From Warner Bros.
- Tamashii Nations Pop-Up Shop to Open March 5 in New York City — Includes GODZILLA VS KONG Exhibition
- New GODZILLA VS KONG Poster From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG International Poster Gallery
- New GODZILLA VS KONG “Gunslinger” Posters From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products From HMV UK
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products And Exclusives From FYE
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwan Theater Exclusives
- GODZILLA VS KONG “Battle” Motion Poster From Warner Bros.
- Win GODZILLA VS KONG “Exclusive Consumables” Pack From FYE!
- GODZILLA VS KONG Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Press Release
- More GODZILLA VS KONG TV Spots From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Film Clips From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Cast and Crew Interviews
- GODZILLA VS KONG Film Clip And Behind The Scenes Video From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Publishing Update From Legendary Comics
- GODZILLA VS KONG “Projection” Video From Warner Bros.
- Mondo Joins the Battle with GODZILLA VS. KONG Posters and Tiki Mugs
- Legendary Entertainment Launches Two New GODZILLA VS. KONG NFT Collections for Fans and Art Lovers