GODZILLA VS. KONG Crushes at the Box Office, Closing in on $300 Million Worldwide in Only 12 Days
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures press release
Official Site: GodzillavsKong.com
Official Facebook: @GodzillaVsKong
Official Instagram: @GodzillaVsKong
Official Twitter: @GodzillaVsKong
Special Thanks to Candice McDonough
Riding the wave of a massive opening in international markets, including $137.1 million in China so far, GODZILLA VS. KONG debuted this week in the U.S. in theaters and on HBO Max, taking in $48.5 million at the domestic box office over five days, pushing the Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures film close to the $300 million mark at the global box office in its 12th day in release. Legendary handled all aspects of the film’s release in China. The announcement was made today by Warner Bros. Pictures President of Domestic Distribution, Jeff Goldstein, and President of International Distribution, Andrew Cripps.
Despite the ongoing challenges in markets throughout the world due to the pandemic, the film has already earned a total of $285.4 million globally, thanks to record debuts both domestically and internationally, opening at number one in every major market in which it has been released, including the U.S., Australia, Mexico, Russia and the UAE. In the U.S., as market restrictions ease, the film has set several domestic records, including the largest number of locations at 3,064, the largest opening day at $9.6 million, the largest single day (Saturday) at $12.5 million, and the largest opening weekend, with $32.2 million, and a five-day cume of $48.5 million. Internationally, the film took in $76.1 million over the weekend, bringing the international total to $236.9 million.
Across the U.S., the film continues to perform strongly in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, Chicago and San Francisco. It also has much-anticipated openings to come in such key international markets as Japan, Brazil and much of Western Europe, when theaters open around the world and expand audience capacity as appropriate.
Goldstein stated, “Moviegoers have been waiting for an event film like GODZILLA VS. KONG to arrive on the big screen and the numbers don’t lie—it’s clear that wherever audiences are ready to safely return to the theater, they have, and we’re thrilled with the results. And with the film’s A Cinema Score and being Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with an audience score of 93%, we look forward to sharing the movie with even more fans as theaters continue to open up around the U.S.”
Cripps added, “It’s no surprise that these two iconic Titans would lead the charge back to theaters around the world and even exceed expectations in such a massive way. With our incredible numbers in China leading the charge, and powerful openings in such markets as Australia, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia and Mexico, we’re looking forward to a robust theatrical run for GODZILLA VS. KONG across the globe.”
Mary Parent, Legendary’s Vice Chairman of Global Production, noted, “The global reception to the theatrical release of this film is a positive sign for moviegoing as people continue to look towards entertainment in a post pandemic world. Congratulations to our director, cast and crew along with our partners at Warner and everybody who worked so hard on this film internally at Legendary as theaters begin to once again become a destination.”
“The HBO Max audience has spoken very clearly and loudly: they love this film and are watching it more than once,” said Andy Forssell, Executive Vice President and General Manager, WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer. “Comparing audience metrics in the first four days since its release, ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ had a larger viewing audience than any other film or show on HBO Max since launch.”
About GODZILLA VS. KONG
From Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures comes the long-awaited showdown between two icons in the epic adventure GODZILLA VS. KONG, directed by Adam Wingard.
Legends collide in GODZILLA VS. KONG as these mythic adversaries meet in a spectacular battle for the ages, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance. Kong and his protectors undertake a perilous journey to find his true home, and with them is Jia, a young orphaned girl with whom he has formed a unique and powerful bond. But they unexpectedly find themselves in the path of an enraged Godzilla, cutting a swath of destruction across the globe. The initial confrontation between the two Titans—instigated by unseen forces—is only the beginning of the mystery that lies deep within the core of the Earth.
The film stars Alexander Skarsgård, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Shun Oguri, Eiza González, Julian Dennison, with Kyle Chandler and Demián Bichir.
Wingard directed from a screenplay by Eric Pearson and Max Borenstein, story by Terry Rossio and Michael Dougherty & Zach Shields, based on the character “Godzilla” owned and created by TOHO CO., LTD. The film was produced by Mary Parent, Alex Garcia, Eric McLeod, Jon Jashni, Thomas Tull and Brian Rogers, with Jay Ashenfelter, Herbert W. Gains, Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira executive producing.
The director’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Ben Seresin, production designers Owen Paterson and Thomas S. Hammock, editor Josh Schaeffer, costume designer Ann Foley and visual effects supervisor John “DJ” DesJardin. The music is by Tom Holkenborg.
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures Present a Legendary Pictures Production, A Film By Adam Wingard, GODZILLA VS. KONG. The film is available in the U.S. on HBO Max in 4K UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos on supported devices for 31 days from theatrical release.
About Warner Bros. Pictures
Warner Bros. Pictures has been at the forefront of the motion picture industry since its inception and continues to be a leading creative force in the industry.
Warner Bros. Pictures produces and distributes a wide-ranging slate of some 18-22 films each year, employing a business paradigm that mitigates risk while maximizing productivity and capital. Warner Bros. Pictures either fully finances or co-finances the films it produces and maintains worldwide distribution rights. It further monetizes its distribution and marketing operations by distributing films that are totally financed and produced by others. Current multi-faceted co-financing joint ventures include those with Village Roadshow Pictures and RatPac-Dune Entertainment. Warner Bros. Pictures also has a distribution, co-financing deal with Alcon Entertainment.
For more information on GODZILLA VS. KONG, please see the earlier coverage here on SciFi Japan:
- Cameras Roll on Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Entertainment’s GODZILLA VS. KONG
- Toho and Legendary Announce Licensees for GODZILLA VS KONG
- Warner Bros. Pictures Group Announces Innovative, Hybrid Distribution Model For Its 2021 Theatrical Slate
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer (and More) is Here!
- GODZILLA VS. KONG Figure and Keychain Lineup From Funko
- S.H.MonsterArts GODZILLA VS. KONG Figure Info and GIANT Photos — Direct From Bandai!
- GODZILLA VS KONG Japanese Trailer From Toho
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer 2
- Legendary Comics Announces Monstrously Exciting GODZILLA VS KONG Publishing Program
- GODZILLA VS KONG Trailer 2
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products From Legendary’s Amazon Store
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwanese Trailer and Poster
- GODZILLA VS KONG Comes to Terra Virtua – The World’s First Fully Immersive Collectibles Platform
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwanese TV Spots
- GODZILLA VS KONG TV Spots From Warner Bros.
- Tamashii Nations Pop-Up Shop to Open March 5 in New York City — Includes GODZILLA VS KONG Exhibition
- New GODZILLA VS KONG Poster From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG International Poster Gallery
- New GODZILLA VS KONG “Gunslinger” Posters From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products From HMV UK
- GODZILLA VS KONG Products And Exclusives From FYE
- GODZILLA VS KONG Taiwan Theater Exclusives
- GODZILLA VS KONG “Battle” Motion Poster From Warner Bros.
- Win GODZILLA VS KONG “Exclusive Consumables” Pack From FYE!
- GODZILLA VS KONG Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Press Release
- More GODZILLA VS KONG TV Spots From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Film Clips From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Cast and Crew Interviews
- GODZILLA VS KONG Film Clip And Behind The Scenes Video From Warner Bros.
- GODZILLA VS KONG Publishing Update From Legendary Comics
- GODZILLA VS KONG “Projection” Video From Warner Bros.
- Mondo Joins the Battle with GODZILLA VS. KONG Posters and Tiki Mugs
- Legendary Entertainment Launches Two New GODZILLA VS. KONG NFT Collections for Fans and Art Lovers
- GODZILLA VS. KONG Weekend 1 Box Office Report