Arrow Video presents GAMERA: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Gamera Returning through Arrow Video

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:22 pm

XvGojira wrote:
Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:I'm thinking it'll be a US release too. Hopefully all the English versions of the films are included and not just Gammera.

Was it just that Mill Creek didn't have the cash/time to get the dubs or something else? If it's the former, than I'm sure Arrow would be willing to get that to happen. And I don't believe that most of the Gamera movies were as edited as the Godzilla films, so most wouldn't need an alternate cut, just another audio track.

Most of the Showa films had two dubs though IIRC, there where the AIP dubs as well as international dubs I think like the notorious Sandy Frank dubs which is what I grew up with. The only Gamera film that had one dub was Super Monster Gamera. I wouldn't mind having the option for both dubs as well as the subbed version.

I wonder if Kadokawa will do new masters for the Showa stuff or if Arrow themselves will edit the masters to clean them up a bit.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Most of the Showa films had two dubs though IIRC, there where the AIP dubs as well as international dubs I think like the notorious Sandy Frank dubs which is what I grew up with. The only Gamera film that had one dub was Super Monster Gamera. I wouldn't mind having the option for both dubs as well as the subbed version.

Not quite. There were four Showa Gamera films (and two Heisei ones) that were dubbed twice:

• Gammera, the Invincible - 1966, U.S. release with new footage of Donlevy, Dekker, et al.
  • Gamera - 1987, the "Sandy Frank version" done for video and TV. Dubbed in England.
  • Gamera vs. Barugon - Circa 1966, Daiei's export version dubbed in Hong Kong, distributed in the U.S. beginning in 1987 by Sandy Frank.
  • War of the Monsters - 1967, initial U.S. television version of the former by American International. Cut by roughly 89 minutes.
  • Gamera vs. Gaos - Circa 1967, Daiei's export version dubbed in Hong Kong, distributed in the U.S. beginning in 1987 by Sandy Frank.
  • Return of the Giant Monsters - 1968, initial U.S. television version of former by American International.
  • Gamera vs. Guiron - Circa 1969, Daiei's export version dubbed in Japan (?), distributed in the U.S. beginning in 1987 by Sandy Frank.
  • Attack of the Monsters - 1970, initial U.S. television version of former by American International.

GOTU and G2 were both dubbed twice as well: the former by ADV for U.S. release and by Arrival Films in the UK (this is the version with the rave music soundtrack), and the latter twice by ADV (with the second dub being the full "Lake Texarkana Gamera" gag dub).

As for how the dubbed soundtracks would fit with the uncut films, I'll just copy what I wrote a while back at Toho Kingdom (prior to the official announcement by Arrow):

I'd guess that all extant English versions will be included (where possible, more on that in a second) since they were for the Shout! releases in 2011. The Mill Creek Daimajin Blu-ray included English versions produced by American International as well. International versions of Barugon, Gyaos, Guiron (the three of these were released by Sandy Frank), and Super Monster are uncut and should sync up to HD masters of the Japanese versions with little trouble. While Frank didn't really cut any footage from Gamera or Zigra, those don't match up exactly with the Japanese versions (e.g. credit placement, some shuffled footage in G65), but it wouldn't be too difficult to sync up those soundtracks either.

Gammera is quite different from the Japanese version so if it were included it would have to be separately. Fortunately, Legend Films has an HD scan of the latter (with a few little bits of footage spliced out) and hopefully Arrow (or any other distributor) could acquire that from them. [We know they're including a copy of Gammera.]

The AI-TV versions of the '66 thru '70 films could be problematic since none of these is uncut. "War of the Monsters" (Barugon) is more than ten minutes shorter and would be the most difficult to include. Also, the only commercially available version is really poor so the distributor might want to seek fan assistance in locating a 16mm element. "Destroy All Planets" (Viras) is eighteen minutes longer than its Japanese version but it's all in the stock footage montage. Kadokawa's home video versions split the difference by increasing the runtime to approx. 81 minutes. "Return of the Giant Monsters" (Gyaos) and "Attack of the Monsters" (Guiron) were edited by AI-TV and if a distributor wanted to sync those soundtracks to the Japanese versions they'd probably have to patch some of the lines with audio from the Japanese or international versions. I think the only difference in runtime between "Gamera vs. Monster X" (Jiger) and the Daiei release is in the opening credits, so that could be done pretty easily.

That's the most basic way you could go about including dubbed audio, IMO, although it's not the most "authentic" way. But if I were Arrow (or whoever), I'd be looking for alternate audio sources than the ones Shout! used. For one, Shout! didn't even include English versions for either of the first two films.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Thanks for the info H-Man I wasn't 100% sure the details. That being said ideally Arrow will include both dubs for release but if they can't I understand.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 am

I guess that we are on a wait and see basis. If somehow, someway, they include not only the dubs, but the open and closing credits of the AIP titles, that would be significant!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:45 pm

Either way, I'm going to see if I can make some money with my Shout! DVDs on ebay now.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:11 pm

The set will be coming to the US and Canada!

https://mobile.twitter.com/arrowhelp/st ... 87872?s=21

--- edit ---

Steve Ryfle's apparently been posting behind the scenes teasers of recording an audio commentary for G3 on his private facebook.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:03 pm

^ That's double the good news!

G-Fan #15 - May/June 1995
    Gamera Returns
    Steve Ryfle, Ed Godziszewski & Hikari Takeda review Gamera: Guardian of the Universe

G-Fan #23 - September/October 1996
    Gamera Rules!
    Ed Godziszewski, Norman England & Kyle Smith review Gamera 2

G-Fan #35 - September/October 1998
    Gamera 3 Set Journal, Part 1: June 26-28, 1998
    Text and photos by Norman England

G-Fan #36 - November/December 1998
    Gamera 3 Set Journal, Part 2: July 31-August 2, 1998
    Text and photos by Norman England

G-Fan #38 - March/April 1999
    Greatest Gamera
    If you want the authoritative assessment of Gamera 3, who better than Ed Godziszewski and Norman England to give it to you? The inside scoop on Daiei's latest, and perhaps greatest, release.
    G3 Event
    A special gathering was held to celebrate the release of G3, and Norman England covered it exclusively for G-FAN.
    G3 Exhibition
    The public wasn't allowed to take pictures at this super Gamera exhibition... but G-FAN's got a whole feature full of them! The next best thing to being there!
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:44 am

Interesting! We shall see how this one fares. I am hoping that it breaks this disappointing streak (my feelings).
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Gwangi wrote:Interesting! We shall see how this one fares. I am hoping that it breaks this disappointing streak (my feelings).

I have a feeling it'll be very good. Arrow has a history of putting out amazing releases. I only have one of their releases (An American Werewolf in London) and it did not disappoint at all. Everything to picture quality and extra features was amazing.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm

Per user broganisms on Blu-ray.com, Amazon posts pre-order:

The original hero in a half-shell returns! For the first time ever worldwide, all twelve tales of the adventures of everyone s favourite titanic terrapin are collected together in one deluxe Blu-ray boxset. This limited edition collectors set traces the decades-long evolution of Gamera, from the friend of all children in his more light-hearted earlier films, to the Guardian of the Universe in the groundbreaking 1990s reboot series, often hailed as three of the best kaiju films ever made.

Limited collectors edition packaging, housed in a large-format rigid box, fully illustrated by Matt Frank

All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition, with lossless Japanese and English audio 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy (Gamera the Guardian of the Universe, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion, Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris)

Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew, and the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)

Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh

Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!
FINAL SPECS TO BE CONFIRMED SOON
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm

Hardback 120-page comic book including a full-color reprint of the four-issue Gamera comic series originally released by Dark Horse Comics in 1996, and the first-ever English-language printing of the prequel comic The Last Hope by Matt Frank and Joshua Bugosh

Perfect-bound 80-page book including a new retrospective on the series by Patrick Macias, kaiju X-ray illustrations by Jolyon Yates, and much more!

As much as I dislike over sized packaging/boxsets, this sounds like something I'll have to just accept. Although, depending on the size of the thing and how the discs are packaged, all the extras might make this a more acceptable pill to swallow than Criterion's Godzilla set (which could have been pared down to a standard multi-disc case with a booklet like Mill Creek Ultraman).
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Commentaries? Dubs? Gammera? Extras to be announced? Two Books?!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Remember when GOTU came out and the kaiju fandom press had headlines like "Gamera Takes Round 1"?

Have Godzilla and Toho won a round against them since? I don't think so.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 pm

What caught my attention the most was "the worldwide Blu-ray premiere of Gammera The Invincible (the American theatrical version of the first film)". :o :o :o

What will be in the final specs? I guess we will know that in time, though still not holding my breath on anything. However, if it includes what I want them to include, then this easily beats out The Godzilla Criterion set, as well the the blu-ray Ultraman (1966).
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 pm

I am intrigued as well. H-Man (or someone else in the know)...I may be slightly misquoting, and if so I apologize but...I seem to remember being told that the current best quality video presentation of Gammera is the one available to stream on Amazon. However the most complete version (meaning no frames missing) is still the Neptune VHS. ---One wonders will this release finally be the definitive version getting ALL the frames and best video quality?
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Shokara » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 pm

While everything listed so far sounds great, and it does say, "final specs to be confirmed soon," I can't help but notice that it says nothing about the English versions besides Gammera, the Invincible and the 90's Heisei trilogy.
Shokara
Godzilla Jr.

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:42 pm

It does say there will be English Audio for all 12 films, so I think the only question is...Will the AI-TV audio for WotM, RotGM, DaP, AotM, and MX be included? S!F did offer 4 of these 5 with their DVD's, hopefully Arrow will do the same, and somehow include WotM. Also, as has been pointed out, since the English credits for most of these is 4:3 format, I would really like to see them as *best possible quality* bonus features, if not, I guess I'll be keeping my Alpha DVD's etc...
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby GFan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Wow, this set sounds EPIC!!

While I've been happy with Shout's DVDs and Millcreek's Blu-ray set, the Arrow release will definitely be a double-dip for me! Sounds like it's going to put Criterion's Godzilla set to shame.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Hours of new and archive bonus features, expert commentaries (including August Ragone, David Kalat, and Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski), interviews with cast and crew

It's great that Kalat is contributing to the audio commentaries in addition to Ryfle & Godziszewski. I wonder if Ragone is involved in this new set as well or if this just means that his commentaries for the original Gamera and Barugon from Shout!Factory's DVDs will be among this set's archive bonus features.

I also wonder if those archive bonus features will include any (all?) of the Japanese featurettes that were previously included on ADV's DVDs and Mill Creek's BRDs of the Heisei films. I'm not one for discarding older home media releases of kaiju films but it sounds like this new set has the potential to actually render previous Gamera releases obsolete by incorporating everything that's been available before. The inclusion of the comic books certainly suggest that Arrow is trying to make this a definitive collection.

O.Supreme wrote:It does say there will be English Audio for all 12 films

It only mentions "lossless Japanese and English audio 4K restorations of the critically acclaimed Heisei trilogy."

I do hope that all of the Showa dubs are included.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm

^ Just remove the comma and read the quote out of context like I did :lol:

Joseph Goodman wrote:All twelve uncut original Japanese versions of the films in high definition with lossless Japanese and English audio

Seriously though, I would hope all the films have English Audio, and for the ones that have two dubs, we get both. Daiei doesn't seem to be as stuck up as Toho when it comes to such things.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm

I'm excited just for the comic book collection alone since my 4 Gamera issues were part of the collection my brother stole and sold for drug money.

The Heisei movies are of course a must own in these new versions, everything else is just a bonus feature in my book, especially the awful Brave movie.

Hopefully I can get someone to buy my Shout! Factory DVDs of the Showa era.

I hope the book packaging goes nicely with the Godzilla set.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:12 pm

O.Supreme wrote:I am intrigued as well. H-Man (or someone else in the know)...I may be slightly misquoting, and if so I apologize but...I seem to remember being told that the current best quality video presentation of Gammera is the one available to stream on Amazon. However the most complete version (meaning no frames missing) is still the Neptune VHS. ---One wonders will this release finally be the definitive version getting ALL the frames and best video quality?

That's correct. The HD version of Gammera on Amazon apparently originates with a 35mm print scan performed by or for Legend Films. It's also available as a Rifftrax release. Obviously, the scan is immeasurably better than the Neptune Media transfer, which was only mastered in standard definition. The problem with the Legend Films version is that the 35mm source is missing footage, at least every shot of the American fighter pilot that shoots down the Soviet plane.

My hope is that Arrow knows to look to UCLA, which houses some sort of element (an IP?) for that version of the film. That element was the source of the Neptune Media transfer 20+ years ago.
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby SeaHawk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 pm

UCLA library record for Gammera:

https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/s ... ton=Search

They have the original US edited picture negative and optical soundtrack negative, and a master positive presumably struck from the picture negative for preservation purposes at some point after they acquired the negatives.

Not long before the Legend Films Gammera HD copy dropped, an original 35mm print of Gammera was sold on eBay. I'm pretty sure this was the Legend Films print.
SeaHawk
Godzilla

Postby Joseph Goodman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Subject(s): Turtles--Drama.
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:32 pm

SeaHawk wrote:UCLA library record for Gammera:

https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/s ... ton=Search

They have the original US edited picture negative and optical soundtrack negative, and a master positive presumably struck from the picture negative for preservation purposes at some point after they acquired the negatives.

Not long before the Legend Films Gammera HD copy dropped, an original 35mm print of Gammera was sold on eBay. I'm pretty sure this was the Legend Films print.

Thank you! A scan of the bolded would have to be the definitive version of Gammera and undoubtedly better than the current Kadokawa HD transfer (for all shared footage, anyway).
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases