Its time for a "Gappa" re-release

Godzilla wasn't the only daikaiju to go stomping through Asia! From Rodan and Mothra to Yongarry and Gappa, discuss other JAPANESE/ASIAN kaiju films here!

Moderator: Controllers

Its time for a "Gappa" re-release

Postby Gojira69 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:57 am

I need this on Blu-Ray with original soundtrack and title sequence. All the trailers for extras too! When's it coming?
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Re: Its time for a "Gappa" re-release

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

I'd nab it if the price was right. I never got the 2000 Media Blasters DVD with the widescreen transfer and the original Japanese audio, so I've only ever seen the AIP-TV version of the movie on pan-and-scan DVDs. I want to check out a quality presentation of Gappa because as it is I've never liked the movie.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Gappa-Triphibian ... 330&sr=8-1

Still surprisingly reasonably priced considering the DVD release is almost 20 years old. I got the MB version a few years back, it's OK, but since I grew up with the AIP-TV version, the International Dub (like most Toho International Dubs) is inferior IMHO. I pretty much put it in the same category as X from Outer Space, which while it did get a nice release from Janus films, still hasn't received a Blu-Ray release. I'm not even sure who has the rights to Gappa in North America anymore. Media Blasters I thought was long dead, but they still *claim* to be contracting and releasing new content, but I cant recall anything they have released in the past few years.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:40 pm

^ To me, $24+ for a used DVD with a non-anamorphic transfer of a movie I don't even like just isn't worth it, even if it is the best available version by default.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 pm

I agree, it's time for a re-release. I like the movie, even though it's not even close to the level of Toho's classics (or even lesser films).

But it could be complicated: the Japanese version of Gappa was expanded by some six minutes by Nikkatsu for international markets, including the U.S. Almost all of the new footage is comprised of SFX shots. The theatrical versions in West Germany, Italy, etc. all used the 90-minute export version as a template; AIP released Nikkatsu's English language version with only the title card changed. Unfortunately, when Media Blasters released its versions in 1998, it conformed the English version to match the 83 minute Japanese version. It may have been a case of that footage having gone missing or perhaps even plain ignorance. A German DVD release from the mid-2000s reinserted the extra scenes but had to resort to using a cropped VHS rip. This footage has never officially been seen in its original aspect ratio in the U.S.

The Gappas' attack on Atami Castle was one of the scenes that was greatly expanded for the export version. Here's SpacehunterM's restoration using the best available sources, which really goes to show how much was added and how badly a new transfer of that footage is needed.

O.Supreme wrote:but since I grew up with the AIP-TV version, the International Dub (like most Toho International Dubs) is inferior IMHO.

It's actually the same dub. As I mentioned, this is one of few tokusatsu films that AIP released without bothering to redub the film. English dialogue is credited to William Ross, of Tokyo's Frontier Enterprises, in the export credits that AIP used in its version.

H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 am

O.Supreme wrote:...I pretty much put it in the same category as X from Outer Space, which while it did get a nice release from Janus films, still hasn't received a Blu-Ray release...
...but Criterion put it out on BRD.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:27 am

^ No, they released it as a part of their Shochiku DVD set - no Blu-ray.

Although, it's the only title that was a part of that set that I could totally see them doing a Blu-ray for. Maybe if their upcoming Toho releases are big enough successes it will encourage them to do more in the genre?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 am

H-Man wrote:It's actually the same dub. As I mentioned, this is one of few tokusatsu films that AIP released without bothering to redub the film. English dialogue is credited to William Ross, of Tokyo's Frontier Enterprises, in the export credits that AIP used in its version.

Wow, that is surprising...I could have sworn the dub tracks were different...It has been a long time since I've watched any version of the film, but I'm sure you are correct...I'll have to compare the two versions later when I have some time.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 pm

If I recall, I have a Norwegian DVD release for this with trailers I've not seen anywhere else.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 am

O.Supreme wrote:
H-Man wrote:It's actually the same dub. As I mentioned, this is one of few tokusatsu films that AIP released without bothering to redub the film. English dialogue is credited to William Ross, of Tokyo's Frontier Enterprises, in the export credits that AIP used in its version.

Wow, that is surprising...I could have sworn the dub tracks were different...It has been a long time since I've watched any version of the film, but I'm sure you are correct...I'll have to compare the two versions later when I have some time.

I actually know what you mean, although the first and only version I saw as a kid was the Media Blasters VHS release of the international version (well - intn'l version edited to the Japanese version's length), and that was long before I understood anything about different dubs and all that. For a long time after that it wasn't clear to me how different AIP's release was. I finally saw it probably ten years later and I was really surprised that it was the exact same, clearly "internationally dubbed" version. It was pretty uncharacteristic for AI-TV, at least in regards to the other kaiju movies they were importing at that time.

I think I've probably seen remarks and reviews online that suggest the AIP release was "dubbed by Titra," but with no direct evidence I just chalk it up to assumptions made in the early days of the fandom. Similarly, IMDb used to have Hal Linden credited as a narrator of Toho's Deathquake, although that was clearly dubbed in Hong Kong (and released here with that soundtrack) and released after Linden was too big a name to have done another dubbed film without credit. On top of that, there are only about four male voices in the film, so unless he dubbed one of the females in a strange character performance then his voice isn't in any version I've ever seen or can find evidence of!

I'm sure we're all aware that a lot of information about the dubbed versions of these movies was pretty scarce (and what was available was often unreliable unless it came from the film's credits) until the last 20-25 years. And unfortunately some of that early stuff persists. :(
H-Man
Heisei Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:36 am

Also the fact that I just remembered I got it confused with the X from outer space. I grew up watching the AIP version which was released on Orion VHS, but wasn't until janus DVD release that I heard the international version.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby GFan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I have a special place in my heart for GAPPA, it really deserves a Blu-ray release! I wonder if an HD transfer has even been done in Japan yet.
GFan
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gojira69 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

GFan wrote:I have a special place in my heart for GAPPA, it really deserves a Blu-ray release! I wonder if an HD transfer has even been done in Japan yet.
I share your feelings! A somewhat forgotten treasure.
Gojira69
Little Godzilla

Return to Rodan, Yonggary, and Gappa. Oh, My!