GODZILLA.COM

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

GODZILLA.COM

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Screen Rant:
Godzilla Site Launches With The Franchise's First Official Monsterpedia
DANIEL ALVAREZ wrote:Today, Toho announced their first official English-language Godzilla website. In a press release, Toho highlighted a number of features on the website, including a filmography, exclusive news, and a "Monsterpedia." The website is live at Godzilla.com, and will be updated on a regular basis. "Fans have been longing for a universe that celebrates the all-mighty king of monsters and Godzilla.com delivers the most exciting news and stories about upcoming events, new merchandise and special releases as we commemorate the 65th anniversary of Godzilla," said Keiji Ota, Toho's Chief Godzilla Officer.

Godzilla.com:
The World’s first Godzilla-branded website opens on May 7, 2019.

Skreeonk:
PRESS RELEASE: TOHO Officially Launches GODZILLA.com
Last edited by mr.negativity on Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: GODZILLA.COM

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 pm

I like Toho's simple, three-category structure for the Godzilla filmography on that website. Original Series ('54- ) encompasses all of the live-action Japanese films. Global Reboot ('98- ) consists of the TriStar movie and the WB/Legendary flicks. Animated Version ('17- ) is the anime trilogy. I love how the listed years for each category are open-ended! As far as Toho is concerned, none of these Godzilla film categories are done adding new entries!

Remember when Godzilla.com was Sony's official website for the TriStar movie? Then later it became Atari's official website for the Pipeworks video games.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 pm

I'm not sure if sites like this serve much of a purpose in the new internet, but I feel glad that Toho has made such a thing and it's there.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 am

This site is full of errors. Did they hire one of those slightly smarter than regular apes to make it?
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Wed May 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Hopefully its just a start, and is not it's complete/final form

*Clicks on King Kong vs Godzilla* Monster bios... Only Godzilla :? :roll: :wink:
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 pm

O.Supreme wrote:Hopefully its just a start, and is not it's complete/final form

*Clicks on King Kong vs Godzilla* Monster bios... Only Godzilla :? :roll: :wink:

At least with that one you could say that they just haven't updated all the monster profiles yet, since it basically says "More to come" in that section.

But did you guys know that Jun Fukuda directed Godzilla vs Monster Zero? And Masaru Sato did the score?
And that Titanosaurus appears in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla?

These revelations have blown my mind and my entire perception of the franchise. Fukuda did such a great job directing Monster Zero, I would have SWORN it had been directed by Ishiro Honda.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Joseph Goodman » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

mr.negativity wrote:Godzilla.com:

Ahem, http://web.archive.org/web/19980127004604/http://www.godzilla.com/
Joseph Goodman
Godzilla

Postby H-Man » Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 pm

It definitely needs work, and it's amazing that it went live with all that incorrect information, but I like the idea of an official English language Godzilla website to help communicate news and general information.
H-Man
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Joseph Goodman wrote:
mr.negativity wrote:Godzilla.com:

Ahem, http://web.archive.org/web/19980127004604/http://www.godzilla.com/

WSJ June 8, 1998:
'Godzilla' Web Visitors Terrorize A Touchy Hollywood Producer

Godzilla and the Electric Community Acid Test
Robert Kozinets wrote:
Way back in the early days of the Web, in May of 1998 t’be exact, a big-budget, shrouded-in-secrecy remake movie of the famous Godzilla series came out. You might remember its memorable penile tag-line “Size Matters.” Ah yes, those were the days. At that time the film’s producer and co-write, Dean Devlin, and its director, Roland Emmerich, has started a production company called Centropolis Entertainment, which helped to market the film and produced an official “Godzilla ” website to build hype and promote the film. The website was a decent one, and the film’s producers knew that there was a lot of word-of-mouth flowing among Godzilla’s active fan community about the film. So, of course, they provided an open forum for those fans to discuss the film amongst themselves.

Where was I? Oh yes, Godzilla, or Gojira as my Japanese friends and I like to call him. The long-time fans were the first ones in line and the first ones past the red velvet ropes to see the movie. And they hated the movie. Hated it bigtime. So when they had a chance to post their comments and contribute to their community–which was, after all, not a new invention of Misters Devlin and Emmerich, but a long-standing community with lots of existing fans, practices, and networks–guess what they did? Of course. They criticized. They moaned about what a butchering, unfaithful, horrid hatchetjob had been done to their iconic film and its proto-iconic icon. And they warned other fans and interested people to stay away. It was not only a bad Godzilla movie, they told everyone on the forum, it was just a bad, stinky, terrible movie in general. Blech, blech, pooey pooey.

Now, that’s a real test of commitment to community, isn’t it? As managers, Misters Devlin and Emmerich had some decisions to make. In particular, how should they handle this? Abort, retry, engage, fight back, ignore?

They didn’t have the benefit that we do of having some wise advice in this area widely available from luminaries like Alex Wipperfurth and Grant McCracken and Andy Sernovitz and Henry Jenkins and Ben McConnell and Jackie Huba and Don Tapscott. However, the Cluetrain Manifesto was already circulating in its early forms. Remember the Cluetrain Manifesto (available in much longer format in print as The Cluetrain Manifesto)? What an important document that was and still is! It talks about the need for companies to engage in open, honest conversations with the organizing networks of people who are their markets. In fact, it defines a company’s markets as a set of conversations. To his credit, Mr. Devlin did decide to engage these fans in conversation.

According to a Wall Street Journal article on the event (`Godzilla’ Web Visitors Terrorize A Touchy Hollywood Producer,” by Bruce Orwall, Jun 8, 1998. p. B.1), here’s what happened:

To one especially tough-minded fan he [producer and co-writer Dean Devlin] wrote: “Our movie did what it was supposed to do. We’re all happy about it. If you don’t like that, to hell with you.” To another who called the movie a flop: “Please tell me how you figure that a movie that will make the studio over a hundred million dollars in profit is a flop? Where’d you learn your math?” To the editor of a science-fiction magazine who had chided him, Mr. Devlin wrote: “And as for my ‘royalty’ check you refer to, since it’s larger than all of my other royalty checks on all my other films combined, I’m more than happy with it, thank you.” The cyber-howlings of a well-paid Hollywood producer didn’t find a sympathetic audience. “My God! It sickens me to hear a man go on like that!” one fan wrote. “You’ve got to get over the fact that a lot of people, for whatever reason, just don’t like the film.”

After a bit of back and forth jousting, taking heavy hits, enraging the online community, and setting a pretty stark quintessentially us versus them, me-big-capitalist Hollywood Producer you puny little consumer fanboy invidious hierarchized boundary dichotomy (that seems pretty heavily socially-classed, my sociologist friends) Centropolis made its decision.

Shut down the dissent. Shut the fans up. Shut the site down.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!