Michael Dougherty's GODZILLA B.C.?

This is the place to discuss Legendary Pictures' Godzilla film and upcoming sequels, as well as Kong: Skull Island and the upcoming Godzilla vs. Kong!! Let everyone know what you think and discuss your thoughts and ideas about the upcoming films!!!!

Moderator: Controllers

Michael Dougherty's GODZILLA B.C.?

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm

Screen Rant:
King of the Monsters Director Reveals Two Monsters He Wants In Godzilla 3
NICHOLAS RAYMOND wrote:Godzilla: King of the Monsters director Michael Dougherty would love to introduce two more Toho monsters to the franchise if he were to return for Godzilla 3. Dougherty has expressed an interest in both Biollante and Gigan, who have both served as villains in previous films. The Godzilla series is packed full with various kaiju that the MonsterVerse can pull from as the franchise goes forward.

Directed by Gareth Edwards, 2014's Godzilla rebooted the classic Toho series and became the second American-made Godzilla movie. The film revived Godzilla's heroic image while pitting him against two other giant monsters called M.U.T.O.s. Godzilla was the only Toho property featured in the movie, but the sequel, King of the Monsters, will bring back three fan-favorite kaiju from the Toho films. Legendary acquired the rights to King Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mothra, making it possible for all three to get in on the action in the upcoming movie.

In an interview with Japanese website CinemaTodayJapan, Dougherty says he would love to use Toho monsters Biollante and Gigan in a future installment, if he were to return to the series. Dougherty also lists Anguirus and MechaGodzilla as some of his favorite Godzilla monsters.

Gigan is a frequent foe of the alpha predator and an occasional ally of King Ghidorah. Instead of hands, Gigan has hook-like blades which he uses to stab and slice his enemies. Gigan teamed up with King Ghidorah for a two-on-two showdown with Godzilla and Anguirus in his first movie, Godzilla vs. Gigan in 1972. Alongside Megalon, Gigan battled Godzilla and Jet Jaguar in 1973's Godzilla vs. Megalon. Gigan's third and final film appearance came in Godzilla: Final Wars in 2004, where Gigan received a powerful, cyborg-like update.

Unlike Gigan, Biollante only appeared in one film, 1989's Godzilla vs. Biollante. In the movie, Biollante was a genetically-engineered monster created from the DNA of a human, a rose, and Godzilla. The plant-like monster is among the largest kaiju ever encountered by Godzilla.

Both monsters are visually unique and could pose a significant challenge to Godzilla. The two could translate well into the MonsterVerse, if Godzilla 3 were to happen. Though no official announcement has been made, a third film does seem likely based on the success of Godzilla. If King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong are box office hits for the MonsterVerse, Godzilla 3 could be right around the corner.

Source: CinemaTodayJapan [via GormaruIsland]
Last edited by mr.negativity on Tue May 07, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Michael Dougherty's Godzilla 3

Postby Henry88 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 pm

the more big budget godzilla the better i say and Gigan would be a great choice.
Henry88
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Gentleman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

With GvK already in production, and with Legendary's Godzilla license expiring after that, wouldn't some kind of negotiations to continue the Monsterverse already be under way? They'd be sure to be very, very preliminary, as I imagine the two companies won't make a serious effort at hammering out a new license agreement until after KoTM's first weekend box office is tallied up, but so far I don't think there's been any kind of rumor of a meeting of the minds.
I'm not a hero. I'm not a savior. Forget what you know.

I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control.
Gentleman
Godzilla Jr.

Postby lhb412 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm

The article's title is pretty much textbook clickbait. He's not talking about his perspective Godzilla 3, just which monsters he'd like to include in a purely hypothetical one had he any say.

I got to say, I think Biollante could be a wicked adversary using modern effects, as the practical effects used in her original movie kept her mostly stationary.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Jinzo Ningen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am

I still say that the best recipient of a big budget CGI update would be Hedora; and still every bit as topical as when it first slithered onto the big screen. Surprising that Banno didn't push (or at least nudge) for this given his involvement in getting the US reboot underway, before his passing.

Then again, this does have merit...
Jinzo Ningen
Godzilla

Postby angilas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Jinzo Ningen wrote:I still say that the best recipient of a big budget CGI update would be Hedora; and still every bit as topical as when it first slithered onto the big screen. Surprising that Banno didn't push (or at least nudge) for this given his involvement in getting the US reboot underway, before his passing.

Then again, this does have merit...

That looks awesome! Interesting KKvsG isn’t viewed as G3 and this G4
angilas
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 pm

I don't think that clickbait article from Screen Rant merits its own thread.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Michael Dougherty's Godzilla B.C.?

Postby mr.negativity » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm

/film Tuesday, May 7th, 2019:
‘Godzilla: King of the Monsters’ Director Wants to Make a Prehistoric ‘Godzilla’ Film
Hoai-Tran Bui wrote:Humanity is just a speck of dust to the god-like monsters of the Godzilla franchise, including the King himself. In Legendary’s MonsterVerse franchise, the kaiju creatures have only emerged recently, but the long-dormant monsters are the kinds that can only have existed since the dawn of time. So, Godzilla: King of the Monsters director Mike Dougherty asks, why not go back to that time? After Dougherty finishes helming the monster of a film that is the upcoming King of the Monsters, the director wants to take on a Godzilla prehistoric movie that focuses on the kaiju monsters in ancient times. Godzilla vs. a pyramid? Yes please.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is building Legendary’s next cinematic universe, the MonsterVerse, which will see the kaiju of the Japanese sci-fi franchise Godzilla go up against the iconic American monster, King Kong. But the rapidly expanding world of the MonsterVerse could open the doors for all kinds of movies centering around the gigantic monsters, including a Godzilla prehistoric movie stretching back to ancient times. That’s what Dougherty told JoBlo he would be interested in making next, dubbing the film Godzilla B.C.:
“I like the idea of going back in time and telling creatures’ stories from different eras. Skull Island was set in the ’70s, but personally I’d like to do ‘GODZILLA B.C.,’ go back to ancient times and really see the Ray Harryhausen-esque world where primitive humans had to try to survive with these creatures. Maybe we’d get to see the first time mankind truly encountered Godzilla, and get to see how that relationship was christened.”

If King of the Monsters is a massive hit, then this idea could definitely be greenlit, and we could see Godzilla going up against pyramids and perhaps even mythic figures if Dougherty’s Ray Harryhausen influences play out. Harryhausen was best known for his mythological epics like Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans, which blended stop-motion animation with live-action actors to create a fantastical, sweeping picture. Could we see Godzilla going up against the Greek gods? Probably not, but it doesn’t hurt to dream.

JoBlo:
MIKE DOUGHERTY WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A PREHISTORIC GODZILLA MOVIE
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Michael Dougherty's GODZILLA B.C.?

Postby lhb412 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 pm

^I'm fond of the idea, but with Mothra now geographically located in China and the movies being Chinese co-productions maybe a [b]Mothra wuxia epic[/b] is an even better idea!

Lots of sword fights, martial arts, lavish costumes, romance, and a freaking big moth!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Return to Legendary's MonsterVerse