Joaquin Phoenix is The Joker

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Joaquin Phoenix is The Joker

Postby mr.negativity » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Deadline August 22, 2017:
The Joker Origin Story On Deck: Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Martin Scorsese Aboard WB/DC Film

THR JULY 10, 2018:
Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros.
Borys Kit wrote:The Joker origin movie is officially a go at Warner Bros.

Joaquin Phoenix recently finalized his deal to star as the arch-nemesis of Batman and shooting is set to begin in September in New York.

Todd Phillips is directing the film and co-wrote the script, which the studio describes as being an “exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.” Scott Silver co-wrote the script.

Warners has yet to stake out a release date for the film, which goes against the grain of most comic book movies that have flags planted years in advance. But the Joker stand-alone pic is meant to be different from other comic book superhero movies.

The project's budget is in the $55 million range, significantly lower than the tentpoles that dominate the form. And the stand-alone is meant to be darker and more experimental in tone and content (at least as experimental as a studio can be with established brands such as DC), which is described as being akin to a crime drama.

That said, there is a chance that the movie could be ready for release as early as late 2019, depending on various factors.

Warners has a possible second Joker movie in the works as Jared Leto, who played the character in Suicide Squad, now has his own solo film project in development.

Emma Tillinger Koskoff (The Wolf of Wall Street) is producer on the Joker origin stand-alone, while Richard Baratta is an executive producer.

Phoenix, who won a best actor award at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival for Lynne Ramsey’s You Were Never Really Here, next stars in Gus Van Sant's Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot, which opens Friday.

COLLIDER JULY 12, 2018:
Exclusive: Joaquin Phoenix on His “Unique” Joker Movie and Why It Scares Him
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Joaquin Phoenix is The Joker

Postby jellydonut25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 pm

DC just loads up a shotgun with movie ideas and blasts it in all directions.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:18 pm

Hard pass.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby eabaker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm

I kinda love the idea of a bunch of incompatible movies coming out about these characters, the studio just let interesting filmmakers tell stories they want to tell, with no concerns about continuity or canon.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 am

eabaker wrote:I kinda love the idea of a bunch of incompatible movies coming out about these characters, the studio just let interesting filmmakers tell stories they want to tell, with no concerns about continuity or canon.

Too bad that's not what's happening. There's been tons of studio interference and the movies aren't interesting.

So it's JUST a bunch of unrelated nonsense.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
eabaker wrote:I kinda love the idea of a bunch of incompatible movies coming out about these characters, the studio just let interesting filmmakers tell stories they want to tell, with no concerns about continuity or canon.

Too bad that's not what's happening. There's been tons of studio interference and the movies aren't interesting.

So far, but that doesn't rule out the potential of the future projects turning out well.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
eabaker
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm

Reminds me of the difference between the hopes people had for the start of all those DC animated movies, versus the mediocre-to-bad reality we got instead.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby Rodanex » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:08 pm

And they're still also doing a Jared Leto Joker movie?

What the hell is DC even doing anymore?
Rodanex
Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Rodanex wrote:
What the hell is DC even doing anymore?

Throwing everything and the kitchen sink against the wall in hopes that something sticks.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:28 pm

eabaker wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:

So far, but that doesn't rule out the potential of the future projects turning out well.

Wonder Woman turned out very well.

I think it would be best if WB stopped worrying about making all of their live-action DC films part of one connected canon. They should just go back to the pre-MCU days when different franchises weren't automatically assumed to be part of a shared universe. Let Shazam! be its own thing. Let Martin Scorsese produce a Joker movie of all things without making it a prequel to Suicide Squad. Let Wonder Woman 1984 be the sequel it needs to be without worrying about how it lines up with Justice League. If James Wan's Aquaman is a hit then maybe make a team-up Wonder Woman & Aquaman crossover down the line.

I think this whole concept of a standalone origin story for the Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Todd Phillips and produced by Martin Scorsese just sounds fascinatingly bizarre. It seems like the last thing I would expect any of those men to do and that just makes me intrigued to see what they come up with, especially if it isn't bound to any DCEU continuity.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Re: 'Joker' Oct. 4, 2019

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:06 am

THR JULY 18, 2018:
'Joker' Origin Movie Lands Fall 2019 Release Date

THR JULY 19, 2018:
'Joker' Movie: 'Deadpool 2' Actress Zazie Beetz in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix (Exclusive)

EDIT

THR JULY 23, 2018:
Robert De Niro in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix in Joker Movie (Exclusive)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:23 pm

THR AUGUST 27, 2018:
'Joker' Movie: Alec Baldwin to Play Bruce Wayne's Father
Borys Kit wrote:Alec Baldwin is joining Joaquin Phoenix in Joker, Warner Bros.' standalone movie centered on the DC’s clown prince of crime.

Baldwin is the latest high-profile actor to join the project, which is scheduled to behind shooting in two weeks. Robert De Niro, Deadpool 2 breakout Zazie Beetz and Glow actor Marc Maron are already on the call sheet.

Phoenix is portraying the DC Comics villain in a film that is more moderately budgeted and darker than the studio’s other DC-based movies, known as the DC Cinematic Universe. The project is also described as more of a dark character study than a crime thriller, with Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy as the tonal watchwords.

Baldwin has been tapped for the role of Thomas Wayne, who is Batman lore is the father of Bruce Wayne, the future Batman.

But this being a movie project that will veer off center from the traditional Batman cannon, sources say that the script paints Thomas Wayne as a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Outkaster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:53 am

Joined in 2001.
Outkaster
Godzilla

Re: The Joker

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby Dai » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:42 pm

That...just doesn't work. The Joker has always looked clown-like, but this is too specific. It's like they were afraid of repeating a look that had been used before. Every previous actor to play the role has been convincingly transformed into the character in various ways, but this just looks like Joaquin Phoenix doing a kid's birthday party.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Dai wrote:That...just doesn't work. The Joker has always looked clown-like, but this is too specific. It's like they were afraid of repeating a look that had been used before. Every previous actor to play the role has been convincingly transformed into the character in various ways, but this just looks like Joaquin Phoenix doing a kid's birthday party.

Maybe he's robbing a circus?
Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 pm

I've been quick to pooh-pooh this film, but honestly; if it's a decent crime thriller and it's budget is fairly low this may have been a smart thing for WB to make.

And when you get a look at the whole outfit it kinda works:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBW_BFF/stat ... 4528452608
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 am

I have to admit, I'm liking what I see of this Joker movie. The 70's era stylings and the outfit that's reminiscent of the 60's show's Joker. The red nose tip and the blue triangles are too "just a clown" for me, but I think there might be more than one style of face paint. I wonder if a Batman will appear.
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:18 am

mr.negativity wrote:THR AUGUST 27, 2018:
'Joker' Movie: Alec Baldwin to Play Bruce Wayne's Father
Borys Kit wrote:Alec Baldwin is joining Joaquin Phoenix in Joker, Warner Bros.' standalone movie centered on the DC’s clown prince of crime.

Baldwin is the latest high-profile actor to join the project, which is scheduled to behind shooting in two weeks. Robert De Niro, Deadpool 2 breakout Zazie Beetz and Glow actor Marc Maron are already on the call sheet.

Phoenix is portraying the DC Comics villain in a film that is more moderately budgeted and darker than the studio’s other DC-based movies, known as the DC Cinematic Universe. The project is also described as more of a dark character study than a crime thriller, with Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy as the tonal watchwords.

Baldwin has been tapped for the role of Thomas Wayne, who is Batman lore is the father of Bruce Wayne, the future Batman.

But this being a movie project that will veer off center from the traditional Batman cannon, sources say that the script paints Thomas Wayne as a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump.

Hahahahahah! This news is rather funny. In a sense, Alec Baldwin has already played Batman's father.

phpBB [media]
Last edited by The Shadow on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Still the best Joker.

phpBB [media]
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Dai wrote:That...just doesn't work. The Joker has always looked clown-like, but this is too specific. It's like they were afraid of repeating a look that had been used before. Every previous actor to play the role has been convincingly transformed into the character in various ways, but this just looks like Joaquin Phoenix doing a kid's birthday party.

I hated the SS design, so I can't say much bad about this other than it seems overly safe
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:44 pm

phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:00 pm

That suit practically screams Cesar Romero's Joker.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:24 am

I don't really dig it but (a) it's better than Suicide Squad and (b) the performance will be what makes or breaks it.

People also freaked out about how "bad" and "dumb" and "wrong" the Ledger Joker looked too...
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm

I like it a lot, especially the colors. It's a very vibrant film which is a breath of fresh air in this era of dusty looking movies.
UltramanGoji
Godzilla Egg

Next

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television