Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers:Endgame (2018/2019)

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers:Endgame (2018/2019)

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Went and saw this last night with my friend and it was amazing. A perfect way to end the Infinity Saga. I can't wait to see what the future holds for the MCU in general especially now that they have pretty much the entire Marvel verse to work with.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mrbluehair » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 pm

I really enjoyed it...never felt 3 hours, others have explained what I wanted to say so no sense repeating it. I’ve enjoyed most all the MCU movies, this was a nice bow wrapped around the whole Phase 1. The only thing I really wanted to see
Spoiler Below:
never happened, and that was Hulk didn’t get any retribution on Thanos...but making him more dynamic as Professor Hulk as well as him surviving though damaged the Iron Gauntlet

They pulled the heart strings though and built up to an amazing end.

We were so wrapped up when things in the final battle would happen, we were like “crap, forgot about that...and that...etc.

Well done Marvel.
You must show no mercy, nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all!
mrbluehair
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 am

You think every non Disney owned movie studio is crying right now? Even if this movie has a 50% drop off next weekend domestically that is still $175 million. LOL.

Ooooh poor WB.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Deadline April 30, 2019:
‘Avengers: Endgame’ Manic Moola Monday: 3rd Best With $37M+; Russo Brothers Pic Flying Past $400M Today In Record Time

Den of Geek Apr 28, 2018:
Should the Marvel Cinematic Universe Reboot or Recast?

The Wrap:
Spoiler Below:
Tim Baysinger wrote:But you can expect much more synergy in the near future. Big-screen stars Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan), Falcon (Anthony Mackie), Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Vision (Paul Bettany), Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) are all coming to Disney+. Bucky and Falcon will pair off in their own series “Falcon and The Winter Solider”, as will Vision and Scarlet Witch in “WandaVision.” Loki will continue his mischief in his self-titled series, and a fourth featuring Renner’s Clint Barton training a new Hawkeye, Kate Bishop, is being developed.

THR MAY 04, 2019:
Is Thanos' Journey Complete After 'Avengers: Endgame'?
Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Avengers: Infinity War/Avengers: Infinity Gauntlet

Postby mr.negativity » Fri May 10, 2019 12:44 pm

/film:
‘Avengers: Endgame’ Getting ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Trailer Added After the Credits

Deadline May 9, 2019:
‘Avengers: Endgame’: Tom Holland Pre-Film Message & Post-Film ‘Spider-Man’ Trailer Added To Screenings
Geoff Boucher wrote:Moviegoers who attend screenings of Avengers: Endgame this weekend will see something new: a pre-film message from Tom Holland encouraging them to stick around after the movie to see the trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home, the July 2 release that picks up the narrative thread after Endgame’s momentous events.

Avengers: Endgame broke from Marvel Studios tradition when it arrived in theaters without a post-credit scene. Those after-film clips have been a Marvel hallmark that tantalized fans with mysterious figures or cryptic glimpses of secret corners of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Now that coda role is being fulfilled in a different way by a full-length trailer — and footage from Far From Home scenes that directly address the life-and-death plot developments of Endgame.

The Sony Columbia Pictures release Spider-Man: Far From Home may be a sleek, state-of-the-art superhero film but it will be connecting with some venerable Hollywood heritage by taking the rare post-film promo position. That’s because trailers earned their name because they were spliced on to the end of film reels and screened after features as “trailing” previews of upcoming releases. Audiences rarely stuck around in volume so somebody had the bright idea of flipping the promos to the front end of feature presentations. The new practice became the standard but the original name stuck as a misnomer.

The Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer and pre-film message begin with screenings tonight of Avengers: Endgame, which has been enjoying a historic box office run.

The new trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home was released Monday and became the biggest digital launch in the history of Sony Pictures Entertainment with 135.2 million views in 24 hours. It was distinctive, too, in that it came with a spoiler warning from charismatic franchise star Holland, who, ironically, is notorious among his Marvel superhero acting ensemble as a bad keeps of plot secrets. Spoilers and secrecy have been a watchword of the Endgame release despite some notable scofflaws.

The Columbia Pictures franchise starring Holland as Spider-Man already held Sony’s 24-hour record (130 million views) set in January by the Far From Home teaser trailer. The three biggest trailer launches in Hollywood history all belong to Disney: Avengers: Endgame (289 million) and Avengers: Infinity War (236 million) from Marvel Studios, followed by The Lion King (224.6 million).

Far from Home, directed by Jon Watts, opens July 2. Written by McKenna & Erik Sommers. Based on the Marvel Comics character created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Produced by Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal. Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Thomas M. Hammel, Eric Hauserman Carroll, Rachel O’Connor, Stan Lee, Avi Arad, and Matt Tolmach serve as executive producers. The film stars Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, JB Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Tony Revolori, Martin Starr, with Marisa Tomei, and Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Sat May 11, 2019 12:20 pm

hmmm... I did not get that Tom Holland Intro at my screening Yesterday morning (unless they waited until evening showings to start it...)???---Anyway Great overall. Loved it...

Minor Nitpicks
Spoiler Below:
1. Captain Marvel was completely unnecessary. Could have found another way to get Tony/Nebula home, and destroy Thanos Ship, which is all she did, but I guess then those who are not big fans of her will rejoice at the lack of screentime.

2. Hulk *not* getting another shot at Thanos was not as bad to me, now having seen the whole film for myself, It still would have been nice, but Hulk did some other pretty cool things. As great as he looked, I just couldn't help but compare his mouth movements to the recent CG TMNT Turtles, which a LOT of people don't like, but I actually don't mind

3. Holding the Infinity Stones - a BIG deal was made to explain that *normal* people cannot hold the stones, or their vessels. I guess the definition of degrees of separation is a sliding scale...If you capture one in a container (i.e. Rocket) you are ok, or even a gloved hand (Clint), but just don't let it make contact with your actual skin...? ---Would have loved to see someone try to pick one up with a paper towel :lol: ...Although looking back, several grabbed the Tesseract with gloved hands, most famously Red Skull... :? .---The whole issue could have probably been avoided if they all had containment vessels of some sort for holding the stones until returning to *the present*

Again these nitpicks are extremely minor. The rest was great.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:49 am

O.Supreme wrote:hmmm... I did not get that Tom Holland Intro at my screening Yesterday morning (unless they waited until evening showings to start it...)???---Anyway Great overall. Loved it...

Minor Nitpicks
Spoiler Below:
1. Captain Marvel was completely unnecessary. Could have found another way to get Tony/Nebula home, and destroy Thanos Ship, which is all she did, but I guess then those who are not big fans of her will rejoice at the lack of screentime.

2. Hulk *not* getting another shot at Thanos was not as bad to me, now having seen the whole film for myself, It still would have been nice, but Hulk did some other pretty cool things. As great as he looked, I just couldn't help but compare his mouth movements to the recent CG TMNT Turtles, which a LOT of people don't like, but I actually don't mind

3. Holding the Infinity Stones - a BIG deal was made to explain that *normal* people cannot hold the stones, or their vessels. I guess the definition of degrees of separation is a sliding scale...If you capture one in a container (i.e. Rocket) you are ok, or even a gloved hand (Clint), but just don't let it make contact with your actual skin...? ---Would have loved to see someone try to pick one up with a paper towel :lol: ...Although looking back, several grabbed the Tesseract with gloved hands, most famously Red Skull... :? .---The whole issue could have probably been avoided if they all had containment vessels of some sort for holding the stones until returning to *the present*

Again these nitpicks are extremely minor. The rest was great.

Spoiler Below:
I feel like the big deal was almost always made about the Power Stone. And the Aether. But in Endgame, nobody ever HOLDS the Power Stone (except Thanos) without a container, nor the Aether. The Tesseract is carried in a briefcase, the Mind Stone is in Loki's scepter...so it's just the Soul and Time stones that are physically held by people, one of whom is Hulk, and since they just give of low levels of Gamma when not being USED, that's fine. The only MINOR inconsistency, in my eyes, is the Soul Stone...but that one never really gets much of an explanation in these movies AT ALL. It's the only one that doesn't have either an entire movie or a huge part of a movie dedicated to it and its use and abilities, and Thanos never uses it to do anything specific. It's just sorta...there.

Mostly, I think the big deal with the stones is that mortals can't USE them without if having a major effect on them, and nothing here betrays that notion at all.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dai » Mon May 13, 2019 5:53 pm

I guess the soul stone is like a rare trading card. It's only special due to its scarcity, and the price is obscenely high, but if you want the full set you have to grit your teeth and pay up.
Dai
Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 pm

Avengers: Endgame is a lot of movie to take in. I really liked it, not more than Avengers: Infinity War after just one viewing but Infinity War actually improved with each rewatch for me so the same might happen with Endgame.

I have mixed feelings about the whole time-travel plot. On the one hand, I'm glad that they just went for it and brought time-travel into the MCU with this fourth Avengers movie. These characters have already been through everything else up to this point.
Spoiler Below:
Steve, Natasha and Rhodey finally go into space in the film's first act so there was really nowhere crazy left to take these characters other than full-fledged time-travel. I also applaud the filmmakers for coming up with an original take on time-travel that works as an interesting balance between open-loop and closed-loop timeline concepts. The characters can shrink down, enter the Quantum Realm and exit at a different point in time, with the machine subsequently pulling them back to the present. Thus, the characters can do things that alter the course of known events in the past but they're still able to jump back to the present of their own timeline, rather than hopping into the altered future of the timeline that branched off from the point where they changed things.

That's what really bothers me about what the Avengers do in Endgame, though. Apart from Banner, they seem utterly unconcerned with the consequences of their actions when they travel back to the past, seemingly because they know their time machine will bring them back to the present of their own timeline and they think they'll never have to worry about the consequences. That is so unheroic, what the hell? Tony instructs Scott to damage the arc reactor in his past self's chest so that Tony Stark has a heart attack in 2012 in that newly altered branch timeline. The Tony we know is willing to potentially kill his 2012 self in that branch timeline, potentially dooming that timeline to not have an Iron Man when Thanos moves to wipe out half of that universe, all in an effort to bring the Space Stone back to what Tony (and we) know as the present in the MCU's established timeline.

Likewise, Nebula and Rhodey are willing to hop back to 2014 on Morag and just disrupt the chain of events that led to the formation of the Guardians. By the end of the movie, after the consequences of their time-travel have spun out of their control, that newly altered timeline that branches off from 2014 is very drastically changed. While that timeline is blessed with no longer having Thanos around as of 2014, since he took his whole fleet into an alternate future 2023 where they were killed by that future's Iron Man, that 2014 branch timeline is now also without a Gamora and thus is doomed to never see the Guardians of the Galaxy come together. Sure, Steve returns the Power Stone to that branch timeline but Ronan probably ends up using that stone to destroy Xandar, and the only way Ego is stopped in that timeline without the Guardians around is if Captain Marvel happens to find him before he engulfs too many worlds.

Still, I guess it is interesting how the movie raises so many ethical questions about the events that transpire. I really like the conclusion of Steve's character arc but the way he ultimately chooses to live his life is the exact same ethical dilemma as what the other characters did in their time-travel. Steve steals some extra Pym Particles from 1970 for himself and in the end he jumps back to the mid-1940s to live out his life with Peggy. I can't blame him, I would have done the same thing if I was him with that opportunity, but at the same time, we know from Captain America: The Winter Soldier that Peggy in the main, unaltered MCU timeline ended up marrying one of the soldiers whom Steve had rescued in WWII, and she had two children with him. Steve basically jumped back to the past and lived out his life in a branch timeline in which he prevented Peggy from marrying that man and thus prevented those two children from ever being conceived in that world. That's freaking dark. Endgame really highlights the potential for this form of time-travel to be used as the ultimate tool of selfishness, and Steve Rogers of all people is the one who jumps at the opportunity. He arguably has earned it by that point in his life, but all the same, Steve chooses to wipe Peggy's known future children out of existence in that branch timeline just so he can live out an altered form of the past in which he gets to be her husband instead of the other guy. Is that selfish? Is it wrong? Does it not even matter because, as Banner explained, nothing that they do to alter the past can actually change anything about the established past of the main MCU timeline? These are fun questions to ponder.

All of the original six Avengers are taken in bold, exciting new directions in Endgame.
Spoiler Below:
This is as perfect a sendoff for Robert Downey Jr.'s take on Tony Stark as Logan was for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine. Giving Tony a chance to make peace with his father in some way during the course of his time-travels was a nice touch. Tony spent years preparing for the return of the alien invaders after his trip through the wormhole in The Avengers so it's fitting that he died using the Infinity Stones to turn Thanos and his whole fleet of invaders into dust. Tony told Pepper in the first Iron Man, "there is only the next mission," and she warned him that he would die in the process. Tony accomplished his ultimate mission and Pepper was there in the end to assure him that he could rest.

Thor: Ragnarok showed us how Hulk lived and grew when he didn't transform back into Bruce Banner for years, then Infinity War showed us how Bruce handled things when he suddenly couldn't transform into Hulk. Endgame brings the two sides together, with Bruce's intellect and voice in Hulk's body. I am disappointed with how the movie completely glossed over that merging process. Bruce mentions that he spent 18 months working to reconcile both sides of himself. I would have loved to have gotten even a glimpse of that process but it isn't expanded upon and the movie leaves important aspects about this new version of Banner/Hulk totally unaddressed. Has Bruce's consciousness completely merged with that of the Hulk, or is Hulk's mind still in there being completely suppressed by Banner? I wish that the movie had addressed this but Bruce did play a very meaningful role in the story. Tony told Bruce in The Avengers that they would find out why the Hulk's existence saved his life from that gamma radiation exposure. By Endgame, Bruce has learned how to fully control his Hulk body and he's the only character other than Thanos who can survive using all six Infinity Stones on the entire universe at once. Bruce/Hulk has really come a long way from smashing city streets and living as a fugitive to bringing everyone dusted by Thanos back to life.

Of course, the Avengers wouldn't have been able to use the Infinity Stones if Natasha hadn't sacrificed herself to obtain the Soul Stone for them. It was hard to watch her and Clint have one last spar as best friends in a contest to see which of them could plunge to their death first so that the other could keep living. Nat made that sacrifice with no guarantees, just the chance that what she was doing would bring Clint's family back to him. She grew so much over the course of these films, from a former KGB assassin working as a SHIELD agent to the lynchpin of the surviving Avengers. Nat was loyal to the people she loved and she didn't want Clint's wife and kids to come back to life only to find him gone forever. Speaking of Clint, the aftermath of Infinity War pretty much turned him from Hawkeye into the Punisher. He lost his entire family so he took it upon himself to spend his life slaughtering criminals he considers scumbags. He became Frank Castle on an international scale.

Nebula really got to discover a new side of herself in Endgame. She and Tony became friends in the bleakness of drifting through space and then she spent five years on Earth as part of the Avengers along with Rocket. Eventually she comes face to face with her past self who was too afraid of Thanos to turn against him, and Nebula kills that version of herself.

Thor's development as a character has been one of the most fascinating and surprising in the MCU and that continues with Endgame. Thor thought he didn't have anything more to lose during Infinity War but he realized how wrong he was when the death of half the universe happened after he failed to go for the head when it counted. Thor gets a second crack at Thanos and promptly beheads him but that doesn't do a damn thing to bring back any of the people Thor failed to save. Five years later, Thor is mired in depression, alcoholic, out of shape, spending his days at home playing video games with Korg and Miek. It's a dramatic new direction for the character and Chris Hemsworth absolutely sells it.

Scott Lang frequently steals the show. Paul Rudd really shines in his fourth MCU appearance and his first Avengers flick.
Spoiler Below:
Rhodey and Rocket don't get as much screen time as the others but that's inevitable for some characters in big ensemble films. I do wish we got to see more of Rocket interacting with the other Earth-born characters or even with some other raccoons. Carol Danvers is absent from the film's second act but she returns in full force for the third act. The entire final battle among the ruins of the Avengers compound is gloriously over-the-top comic book madness.

Endgame leaves an interesting new status quo for the MCU.
Spoiler Below:
It certainly makes Infinity War darker now knowing that Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, Vision and all of Thanos' other pre-Snap victims weren't brought back to life with all of the dusted. The Gamora we've known in the movies up to Infinity War is gone but there's possibly another Gamora from an alternate past 2014 who never met the other Guardians but instead traveled to the future with Thanos and still ended up betraying him. That Gamora is possibly now the living Gamora in the post-Endgame MCU as we know it, and Quill seems determined to find her if she's out there. Thor and Nebula have also joined the Guardians so between their inclusion, the quest to find Gamora and the introduction of Adam Warlock, that sets the stage for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 very elegantly.

Now the MCU is a universe in which half of all life vanished in 2018 and reappeared completely unchanged in 2023. How will the governments of Earth deal with their former leaders suddenly reappearing five years after their nations managed to carry on? What about people who lost their significant others and moved on to start new families only for their former partners to reappear five years later? Time hasn't been rewound for anyone but the people who were brought back to life must feel like they've jumped five years into the future. Peter Parker is still in high school in 2023 but any of his friends who didn't also get snapped would then be in college or even done with college. I hope that the next wave of MCU movies up to 2023 really delve into those ramifications. I think that would be so much more interesting than using the Hulk's snap that brought everyone back to life as an excuse to suddenly have mutants emerging all over Earth.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am

Benjamin Haines wrote:
Spoiler Below:
SteThus, the characters can do things that alter the course of known events in the past but they're still able to jump back to the present of their own timeline, rather than hopping into the altered future of the timeline that branched off from the point where they changed things.

That's what really bothers me about what the Avengers do in Endgame, though. Apart from Banner, they seem utterly unconcerned with the consequences of their actions when they travel back to the past, seemingly because they know their time machine will bring them back to the present of their own timeline and they think they'll never have to worry about the consequences. That is so unheroic, what the hell?

Spoiler Below:
You're thinking of the branches all wrong. The timelines only branch if you remove an Infinity Stone. Otherwise, the events aren't part of the past, they're part of your present and become your own personal past. Time is experiential, not universal and linear. Nothing you do in the past causes any changes except if you mess with the Infinity Stones. Then returning the stones to their point in time when they were taken re-stabilizes the flow of time, which is maintained by the stones themselves.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue May 14, 2019 11:22 am

jellydonut25 wrote:
Benjamin Haines wrote:
Spoiler Below:
SteThus, the characters can do things that alter the course of known events in the past but they're still able to jump back to the present of their own timeline, rather than hopping into the altered future of the timeline that branched off from the point where they changed things.

That's what really bothers me about what the Avengers do in Endgame, though. Apart from Banner, they seem utterly unconcerned with the consequences of their actions when they travel back to the past, seemingly because they know their time machine will bring them back to the present of their own timeline and they think they'll never have to worry about the consequences. That is so unheroic, what the hell?

Spoiler Below:
You're thinking of the branches all wrong. The timelines only branch if you remove an Infinity Stone. Otherwise, the events aren't part of the past, they're part of your present and become your own personal past. Time is experiential, not universal and linear. Nothing you do in the past causes any changes except if you mess with the Infinity Stones. Then returning the stones to their point in time when they were taken re-stabilizes the flow of time, which is maintained by the stones themselves.

Spoiler Below:
I'll need to watch Endgame again but that was not the impression that I got on first viewing. The Ancient One in 2012 tells Banner that taking any of the Infinity Stones back to the future will leave that 2012 branch timeline with an imbalanced number of Infinity Stones and make that universe susceptible to hostile interdimensional invaders.

The Avengers returned the stones to their original points in time but they still changed things in the past during their time-travels, leaving branch timelines in which things play out differently from what we know as the established past of the MCU. Those branch timelines have their stones back but they still have events that happened differently. There is still a world in which the Avengers defeated Loki in 2012 only for him to get his hands on the Tesseract again and escape capture. That happened. Those altered events didn't just go away when the Avengers we know jumped back to their present.

The past of the MCU and all of the characters we know hasn't changed, but there is now a timeline that branches off from 2013 in which Jane Foster has the Aether removed from her body by a talking raccoon before Malekith invades Asgard. There's still an altered timeline in which one of Clint's daughters heard her time-traveling father take a baseball mitt from their home back to his future. Those events still happened as a result of the Avengers time-traveling, regardless of whether they took any Infinity Stones or brought them back. Those altered events happened and they're not a part of the MCU's established past, because Banner explained in detail that they couldn't alter anything about their own world's past. Those altered events must exist in branch timelines, then.

There is likewise a timeline that branches off in 2014 in which Thanos simply vanishes. He jumps into an alternate future with his entire fleet never to be seen again. Thanos never returns to 2014 in that timeline because Iron Man killed him in the alternate future. All of the people in the MCU in 2014 were still carrying on after Thanos vanished into that future. Nobody in that altered 2014 ceased to exist after Thanos left. Quill still kept living in that altered timeline after Rhodey and Nebula knocked him out on Morag, but without Gamora looking for the Orb to betray Thanos, the team of the Guardians will never form in that branch timeline. That altered 2014 will inevitably lead to a 2018 in which the events of Infinity War simply don't happen. That's a branch timeline existing apart from what we know as the MCU's history.

Those are all events that transpired during Endgame and none of those events were undone by Steve returning the Infinity Stones. He just ensured that those branch timelines got all of their stones back so they could remain perfectly balanced.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Spoiler Below:
It's not really a GOOD explanation, but that's not the explanation they give in the movie.

You can't change the past. Or the future. Unless you eff with an Infinity Stone. When you return the stone, you "clip the branch". That's said more than once in the movie, and the Ancient One even uses her neat visual aid that Hulk also uses to show that as long as the stones are present, nothing can change the flow of time and branches are only created when a stone is removed.

It's basically them actively saying, "Don't worry about the time travel because it doesn't matter. It doesn't create loops or timelines or alternates or ANYTHING messed up....except when a stone is messed with. Then it COULD do those things."

I also figure it will be the way around them never using time travel as a plot device again. The stones aren't around anymore, so the timeline is potentially destabilized now. Again, not the most SATISFYING explanation, but nothing the movie does breaks any of their own in-universe established logic or makes alternate branches or anything like that.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Benjamin Haines » Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
Spoiler Below:
It's not really a GOOD explanation, but that's not the explanation they give in the movie.

You can't change the past. Or the future. Unless you eff with an Infinity Stone. When you return the stone, you "clip the branch". That's said more than once in the movie, and the Ancient One even uses her neat visual aid that Hulk also uses to show that as long as the stones are present, nothing can change the flow of time and branches are only created when a stone is removed.

It's basically them actively saying, "Don't worry about the time travel because it doesn't matter. It doesn't create loops or timelines or alternates or ANYTHING messed up....except when a stone is messed with. Then it COULD do those things."

I also figure it will be the way around them never using time travel as a plot device again. The stones aren't around anymore, so the timeline is potentially destabilized now. Again, not the most SATISFYING explanation, but nothing the movie does breaks any of their own in-universe established logic or makes alternate branches or anything like that.

Spoiler Below:
That isn't what I took away from what Banner and The Ancient One talked about. I don't think she was worried about branch timelines in and of themselves but specifically creating a future (from her perspective) in which her universe is missing Infinity Stones, leaving it vulnerable to interdimensional attackers.

In that 2012 New York that the 2023 Avengers traveled back to, Loki gets the Tesseract again in the Stark Tower lobby and escapes being taken to Asgardian prison. That happened. That didn't just un-happen when Steve returned the stones that they borrowed from that point in time. Steve returning the Mind Stone and handing the Time Stone back to the Ancient One at that point in 2012 didn't cause Loki to suddenly teleport back into custody.

It's important to note that from The Ancient One's perspective in that 2012 New York, she's not living in a branch timeline after Steve returns those stones. From her perspective, Loki escaping the Avengers' custody using the Tesseract in the lobby of Stark Tower is the normal course of events. That's just what happens in the 2012 New York which gets visited by our Steve, Tony, Scott and Bruce from 2023. It's only a branch timeline from those 2023 characters' perspectives. It's a branch timeline from what we viewers know as the historical course of events depicted in the MCU, but for the characters living in that timeline where Loki escapes Stark Tower with the Tesseract, that's just the normal timeline. It's their normal timeline and it remains stable because it's not missing any Infinity Stones after Steve returned them.

None of the things that the Avengers do when they time-travel to the past can alter the history of events that led up to the year 2023 depicted in Endgame. The reason is because any alternate events that the Avengers cause in the past are simply the normal course of events to the people experiencing them firsthand. Those people and the time they know as the present don't cease to exist after the Avengers travel back to the future, nor do those people perceive themselves as living in an altered timeline after the future Avengers have visited.

If anything, Endgame sort of cheats its own time-travel rules by making the quantum tunnel machine capable of pulling the Avengers back to what they know as the present 2023. Without that machine presumably keeping the Avengers tethered to that present 2023 from which they left, then traveling back to 2012 and then traveling forward to 2023 shouldn't return them to the 2023 they remember but the 2023 borne out of the events they meddled in back in 2012. When you go into the past, "your former present becomes the past" from your perspective, as Banner said. Nothing you do when you time-travel to the past can change your "former present," it can only lead to a new future that's different from your "former present." The world you left behind in your "former present" remains unaffected by anything you do in your time-travels. Those are the parameters that Endgame establishes so technically the Avengers shouldn't be able to jump forward in time and in so doing return to their "former present." The only reason they can is because it's the quantum tunnel machine in their "former present" that pulls them back there, which is a fine plot device that works.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 am

A friend of mine shared the same opinion and put it perfectly .

If it's possible for a movie to be thrilling, yet a slog, fantastic, yet clunky, sad, yet emotionally flat, well structured, yet a complete mess, totally outrageous, yet by the numbers, then AVENGERS : ENDGAME is it.

Spoiler Below:
Didn't the Ancient One tell Hulk that the infinity stones create our reality and that taking them out would screw things up/destroy what we know as reality or something, and with Thanos destroys them at the beginning, shouldn't that have happened?
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon May 27, 2019 12:58 pm

YouTube:
What if Avengers : Endgame had an Anime Opening? *HEAVY SPOILERS*
Spoiler Below:
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon May 27, 2019 1:47 pm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/

100M from overtaking Avatar WW
130M from overtaking TFA Domestic (this is actually the bigger of the two hurdles IMHO to beat)
Currently at #19 all time adjusted for inflation, even if it suurpasses TFA, it would only get to #12...

Also, the greatest Avengers theme song you've probably never heard.... (there are literally dozens of these videos on Youtube I just chose one) *End Game Spoilers*

phpBB [media]

The original from 2010
phpBB [media]
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Mon May 27, 2019 3:59 pm

There's no way Endgame is topping The Force Awakens' $936m domestic total. Endgame has been less leggy than Infinity War week after week. Even if it manages to be as leggy as Infinity War from this point on, it would still top out at $870m.

That would put Endgame at 16th place on the all-time domestic admissions/adjusted-for-inflation chart, just shy of Avatar's estimated 97.3m tickets sold in North America. If it continues to be less leggy than Infinity War, say, if it has Civil War legs from here on, it would finish short of $840m domestic and end up above Jurassic Park but below Return of the Jedi in ticket sales.

No matter what, with an estimated 89.3m domestic admissions through today, Endgame has already sold far more tickets than any superhero flick in American moviegoing history. The Avengers (76.8m), Black Panther (76.2m), The Dark Knight (74.5m), Infinity War (72.4m) and Spider-Man (69.4m) are all distant runners-up at this point.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 am

75M from overtaking Avatar WW
121M from overtaking TFA Domestic
Currently at #18 all time adjusted for inflation,
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:47 pm

56M from overtaking Avatar WW
111M from overtaking TFA Domestic
Currently at #17 all time adjusted for inflation

Marvel will no doubt push a *go back and see it again* campaign leading up to Spider-Man in 3 weeks, much like they did for Captain Marvel preceding Endgame.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am

O.Supreme wrote:56M from overtaking Avatar WW
111M from overtaking TFA Domestic
Currently at #17 all time adjusted for inflation

Marvel will no doubt push a *go back and see it again* campaign leading up to Spider-Man in 3 weeks, much like they did for Captain Marvel preceding Endgame.

I think that 56m gap is attainable. We're still showing Endgame in the theater I work at and I can totally see a swarm of people heading out to see it before FFH.
UltramanGoji
Godzilla Egg

Postby O.Supreme » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm

45M from overtaking Avatar WW
106M from overtaking TFA Domestic
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television