Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Discussion on Shin Godzilla and rumors, news, and speculation on other possible future Godzilla projects, including the Godzilla Anime project! Discuss them here!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Toho Launches Gojikon (Godzilla Strategy Council)

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I think this is a clip from the upcoming 65th birthday celebration. It's Shodaigoji suit with modern day effects.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... using_the/
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 pm

^ Awesome! It'll be so exciting to see suitmation Godzilla again!

That suit recreation is just so impressive. Honestly, Legendary should try to get it from Toho to promote their new movie. You know, have him walk the red carpet with the actors and such.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm

TerranigmaFreak wrote:I think this is a clip from the upcoming 65th birthday celebration. It's Shodaigoji suit with modern day effects.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... using_the/

Awesome!

Kaiju News Outlet Twitter:
TOHO is making some kind of film using the new Shodaigoji suit! The film will come out on either 1/11/19 or 11/1/19! This looks like a crazy mix of styles from across all the eras of Godzilla! We are going to see Godzilla in a suit again
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby kiryugoji04 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:20 am

It's going to be screened in January at the opening of the new Eiji Tsuburaya museum.
[DaiKamonohashi - Kiryugoji04 - Kaiju Hipster - Jared P. Foust]
kiryugoji04
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 am

I thought it was just like...a commercial for the museum.

In any event, it probably won't be anything to go nuts over. Though I'm sure people will. Because fandom.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 am

^ What a Debby Downer! It's super-cool even if it's not made widely available and remains exclusive to the museum.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:10 pm

The suit IS very cool.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby TerranigmaFreak » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:41 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:I thought it was just like...a commercial for the museum.

In any event, it probably won't be anything to go nuts over. Though I'm sure people will. Because fandom.

We're not really expecting anything, at least I'm not. I'm under the impression it's probably a few minutes long.
TerranigmaFreak
Heisei Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:52 pm

There are precedents for Toho doing something like this.

Monster Planet of Godzilla was an amusement park ride that debuted in 1994 and featured new in-ride footage of Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan using the recent Heisei suits and props.

In 2006, Toho commissioned Koichi Kawakita to shoot new monster footage for Godzilla-themed pachinko parlor game machines, using a lot of suits from the Heisei and Millennium films.

This may be the first time Toho has completely recreated an entire Godzilla suit for something like this. That new Shodaigoji suit looks awesome and I'm glad that they didn't just trot out the Kiryugoji suit and try to pass it off as a Shodaigoji recreation. :wink:
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Man, I really wish that that Pachinko footage would become widely available... well, officially available.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Netflix now has a page for Planet Eater as well as their own dubbed trailer.

Honestly, despite the most tepid response from Godzilla fans I think this anime will age fairly well. Anime fandom is so entrenched all over the world that it's an audience that will continually stumble upon these movies who aren't necessarily the types to seek out the live-action Godzilla movies. The fact that they are tailored more to anime fans then they are to kaiju fans is... probably a good thing, in this respect?
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:35 pm

The Japan Times JAN 11, 2019:
Tribute to a legend
A 2-meter-high suit made to look like the first Godzilla model is displayed Friday at the Eiji Tsuburaya Museum. The museum opened earlier the same day in Sukagawa, Fukushima Prefecture, where the late director of the "Godzilla" films was from. The venue features about 50 figures that appeared in his special-effects-heavy films and television programs, including "Mothra" and "King Ghidorah.

Spoiler Below:
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: TOHO's "TOHO Vision 2021"

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 pm

VARIETY APRIL 18, 2019:
‘Godzilla’ Owner Toho Poised for Expansion in Hollywood
Patrick Frater wrote:Toho, the largest movie group in Japan, is expanding a subsidiary in the U.S. with a view to working more with Hollywood.

The company said that its existing Toho International Inc. subsidiary has been injected with $14 million (JPY15.4 billion), through a share issue subscribed to by the parent company. The subsidiary has existed since 1953. It has made some property investments in the past, but recently has been largely dormant.

Toho has provided few solid details, though revealed that Hiroyasu Matsuoka, currently in charge of Toho’s movie and TV content sales and its international businesses, will be the unit’s representative director. It also said that the move is part of its “Toho Vision 2021 Medium-term Management Strategy,” a strategic plan that it laid out last year.

According to Toho’s website, the Vision 2021 Plan lays out operational goals that the company describes as a content strategy, a platform strategy, and a real estate strategy. It also sets a goal of beating JPY50 billion profits.

The Los Angeles move appears related to a so-called breakthrough strategy also described within the Vision 2021 plan. This foresees an enhanced character business centered on Toho’s iconic Godzilla creation, and an accelerated international strategy. “We will work toward the full implementation of JAPAN IP (Japanese entertainment content by Toho and others) on a global scale,” it says.

Japanese-language websites have reported that Legendary Entertainment’s license to use the Godzilla IP will soon expire. But Legendary retains the rights as long as it continues to make Godzilla films.

Toho is an investor in Legendary’s “Godzilla: King of Monsters,” which is due for a late May release through Warner Bros., and also in Legendary’s “Pokemon Detective Pikachu,” which releases worldwide from early next month.

The company’s name has also been linked to the 2020 film “Monster Hunters,” based on a Capcom game, and to Bad Robot’s live action remake of Japanese hit “Your Name.”

Anime News Network 2019-04-13:
Toho Invests in International Subsidiary in America
Rafael Antonio Pineda wrote:TOHO announced on Wednesday that it invested a substantial amount of funds to its Los Angeles-based TOHO International subsidiary on March 5, with the company's 1.383 million shares now amounting to a 15.446 billion yen (about US$138 million) worth, a massive increase from the company's previous 3,000 shares.

The investment is part of TOHO's "TOHO Vision 2021" mid-term management plan that involves foreign co-productions and character business in foreign territories. The plan involves partnerships with major Hollywood production companies, involving Japanese content, including the upcoming Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Pokémon: Detective Pikachu films.

TOHO established the TOHO International company in 1953, but the company has mostly been involved in real estate, and the company has only earned a total of US$12,000 in the past three years.

TOHO recently invested in SC Digital Media's AlphaBoat content creation company last June.

Sources: Toho, Animation Business Journal
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:02 pm

I'm still not sure what this will amount to, but I hope whatever it is it'll be awesome!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:42 pm

... here's a crazy idea I've been ruminating about what with Toho insinuating themselves into the global Godzilla brand: after Godzilla vs. Kong Toho essentially takes over the series. They'd still be co-productions with American and Chinese sides of the equation, but Toho would be, essentially, in the driver's seat or as close to the driver's seat as they can be.

Also, why not much cheaper films? Shin Godzilla and The Host are two of the best monster movies of the 2000s and they were both made for under the equivalent of 20 million dollars in today's money.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri May 17, 2019 6:53 pm

The Hollywood Reporter, 2019/05/17:
Godzilla Pop-Up Stores Invade the U.S.
Ahead of the release of 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters,' seven pop-up stores offering merchandise previously unavailable outside of Tokyo will open in the U.S.
Benjamin Haines
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:39 pm

^ holy spit! If I was within a few hours driving distance to any of those I'd be sure to hit one.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Reports coming out of those are disappointing to say the LEAST.

There's going to be one in Houston in June and given what I've seen and heard out of the ones in LA and NYC, I've gone from thinking I'll definitely drive the half hour to check it out to absolutely NO WAY.
A couple books, a handful of posters, some 8x10 pictures of Godzilla, on a glorified endcap.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Previous

Return to Shin Godzilla and Beyond!