EVANGELION FRANCHISE DISCUSSION

From Tetsujin 28 to Akira, from Macross to Miyazaki, there is an incredibly wide range of Japanese animated movies and TV shows to suit almost everyone's particular tastes! Discuss the wide world of anime and manga here!

Moderator: Controllers

Your thoughts on Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original series)?

OH GOD AWESOME I LOVE IT YEAH
40%
It's pretty cool.
30%
Feh. You know, whatever.
10%
Couldn't really get into, honestly.
10%
ANNO, I'LL KILL YOU. ANNO, I'LL KILL YOU.
10%

Total votes : 30

Re: EVANGELION FRANCHISE DISCUSSION

Postby Rody » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:10 pm

LOL that's adorable!
...But, why does the parent have End of Evangelion playing with the baby watching? :shock:
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:22 am

Well, Evangelion 3.33 is out at last.
...But I'm not seeing any indications that the God Warrior short was included. :( Oh, well...
Rody
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 am

Rody wrote:Well, Evangelion 3.33 is out at last.
...But I'm not seeing any indications that the God Warrior short was included. :( Oh, well...
:( boooo.
klen7
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:18 pm

^ Yeah that is a bummer, especially with Godzilla Resurgence on the way. The three Animator Expo shorts (Until You Come to Me, Evangelion: Another Impact (Confidential) and Neon Genesis Impacts) aren't included either, but hopefully a future Rebuild set with all four movies will have them (however long that takes).

This release also feels a little different in that the opening and end titles are in the original Japanese rather than English, and some character names are spelled slightly different. I wonder if there's any meaning to that for Anno and Khara.

Well I finally got to see Eva 3.0 and it might be my favorite of the films so far. It goes into an entirely different direction from the original show and movies, but there are elements of episode 24 and End of Eva in there. After an extended opening of nonstop action (it's about 30 minutes before the main title appears), I think it's nice and rather bold that the movie slows down to focus on Shinji exploring the world he left behind 14 years (!) ago. Then the action ramps up again with sequences brand new to this story and unlike anything we've seen in the franchise before. I know this has been hit-or-miss with some fans but I find it very exciting and can't wait to see how it all ends (again).
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.
tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:52 pm

Yeah, 3.0 was kind of an awkward watch for me; but it was awkward in ways I would expect an Evangelion story to be, and for that it might be my favorite Rebuild film as well, so far. It's a weird franchise.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby Rody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:22 pm

This is a very good read:

The Evolution of Evangelion: Rebuild vs. TV

Rather than seeing the Rebuild films as replacements for the original series, it's more revealing to look at them as subsequent works where their creator, Hideaki Anno, reflects upon the original. He's looking back at the feelings of depression he first channeled into Evangelion with a renewed perspective, which is a big deal because those feelings were a major part of why so many people love the original show – you'd be hard-pressed to find a more honest depiction of crippling depression in pop culture. But Rebuild isn't Hideaki Anno "changing his mind" about how he felt, only changing his point of view in relation to those feelings.
Rody
Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm

So the films are supposed to be a more depressed or less depressed version of a dystopian future than the series?

But I do agree, you probably would be hard -pressed to find a more messed up anime series. Why does *that* aspect alone make this so mind-blowingly popular? I have no idea. Of course I appreciate Anime that can be serious, even edgy at times. But I don't think making the most depressing anime ever makes it more "realistic". If we walk around with doom & gloom on our minds all the time, sure I guess... But despite it all, there are GOOD things in this world, there are FUN things as well.

--I dare any anime fan who has an even, well-adjusted, temperament not to have fun watching an episode of King of Braves: GaoGaiGar. Of course, if you want to flip the scales the other way. I still say the story of what D-Boy goes through in Tekkaman Blade is more tragic than Shinji in NGE.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Gargantuan Gargantua » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Finally watched 3.33.

Great animation but I definitely forgot what the story was about. I got lost so I need to go back and watch the first two.
Gargantuan Gargantua
Heisei Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:08 am

ANN
Anno also responded to a remark from an audience member saying that he/she would wait as long as it took for the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film. He first thanked the audience, and then said, "I'll work hard on it. As a matter of fact, I'm already working hard on it."
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:57 pm

Evangelion Animator: Final Evangelion Remake Film is in Progress
Animation director Takeshi Honda (Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion films) stated in an interview with the UK Anime Network in October that the fourth Rebuild of Evangelion film is in progress.

"We're actually working on the new Evangelion film right now," Honda commented. "We're working hard and it'll come out eventually, so thanks for all of your patience - please continue to be patient, because it's going to be the last episode."
~ Tyler

tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:18 am

Evangelion Studio Khara Sues Gainax for 100 Million Yen in Royalties
Gainax allegedly owes royalties to Khara for income on properties that Hideaki Anno worked on
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:41 am

Colony Drop May 14, 2012:
FINALLY, CONCLUSIVE PROOF THAT HIDEAKI ANNO IS A FRAUD AND A LIAR: A.R.I.E.L.
Sean wrote:Stop me if you’ve heard this one: a scientist builds a humanoid mecha that can only be controlled by his offspring, who it turns out have no interest in actually piloting it. This is a bit of a problem, as this giant robot is the only thing that can stop the destruction of Earth by a mysterious alien force. The show in question takes place in a version of Japan much like the present day, and the show proudly wears the influences of tokusatsu and giant robot anime.

Sound familiar? No, it’s not what you’re thinking of… it’s A.R.I.E.L.

Once in a while you stumble upon an old anime series that has largely escaped the notice of Western anime fans, even though it probably shouldn’t have. That’s not to say A.R.I.E.L is an amazing OAV worth revisiting by everyone, but it is a bizarre proto-Evangelion, based on a 20-volume novel series published between 1986 and 2004, and the few mentions of it that I’ve found in English have completely skipped over the Evangelion connection.

The novels, penned by Yuichi Sasamoto (creator of currently airing Bodacious Space Pirates), served as the basis for a series of comics published in Cyber Comic magazine in the 1980s by Gainax’s merchandising arm, General Products. These comics didn’t last long, but the first and second A.R.I.E.L OAV series, released in 1989 and 1991 respectively, featured animation by a long-time Gainax collaborator, Takeshi Honda. Honda would later go on to have a major hand in the animation for Evangelion, working on the series all the way from the show’s opening animation to the more recent Rebuild movies.

The similarities between the OAV and Evangelion are numerous, but it’s difficult to figure out how much of it was direct influence versus similarities from common inspiration. Beyond the obvious similarities of the unwilling pilots, a titular humanoid mecha operated by a non-governmental organization named SCEBAI (pronounced sukebe) and mysterious alien invaders, you’ve got some not-so-obvious similarities as well. There’s a lot of realistic, detailed but monochromatic military hardware to contrast to the more fantastic mecha and aliens. The pilots attend a regular high school. A number of the cars and motorcycles are rendered surprisingly accurately (most notably a Caterham 7). The fighting takes place in a futuristic city that has defense systems pop out from hidden locations in parks and buildings. Perhaps most damning is the revelation that the A.R.I.E.L is based on the likeness of the creator’s late wife.

It’s also worth mentioning that a rocket launch scene in the beginning of the second episode apes Gainax’s Wings of Honneamise‘s launch sequence, right down to the ice fragments and coloring.

I’m not going to point a finger here and accuse Hideaki Anno of ripping off A.R.I.E.L to make Evangelion, as the actual truth is probably a bit more nuanced and not quite as exciting. If anything, it’s likely the fault of a lot of shared influences and related staff working together. Considering how overly-analyzed Evangelion is in the West, it’s odd to see A.R.I.E.L completely ignored — then again, those fans are an obtuse bunch of over-analyzers who chose to pretend Anno’s Bible references actually mean something, and refuse to admit the importance of Ultraman on their beloved series.

While the 1989 OAV, titled A.R.I.E.L Visual, isn’t too remarkable aside from the Evangelion connections, it has some clever touches that make it worth a glance. The first episode begins with a recap segment similar to what you’d see in a regular TV show, except it’s covering episodes that weren’t actually animated, and the first and second episode are actually referred to as Episode IV in the title cards. It’s not a bad way to skip boring establishing episodes you wouldn’t need in a short OAV, and I expect it’s based directly on the 4th episode from the novel (not to mention a possible Star Wars reference). Three audio drama volumes were released, and one English-language source claims they covered the first three “episodes.” The novel series was broken up into 52 “episodes,” mimicking the pacing of a year-long mecha TV series.

The first episode doesn’t accomplish much, as it serves mostly to establish A.R.I.E.L’s creator, Dr. Kishida, his two grand daughters and his niece, whom he forces to pilot the thing. The girls complain about being forced to pilot it, aliens with elf ears and forehead antennae plot their invasion of Earth and nothing much really happens. Touches like Dr. Kishida getting a ride to work in a Harrier and one of the girls having a Totoro keychain are amusing, but they can’t save an otherwise dull episode.

It’s clear the budget was being saved for the second episode, which is largely comprised of one long battle. As you might expect, the girls are persuaded into piloting the A.R.I.E.L against the invading aliens, and we catch the first glimpse of the titular mecha outside the opening and video cover. The A.R.I.E.L itself is a bit goofy, with a perfectly normal human face (opposed to something vaguely humanoid, like Macross 7‘s VF-11MAXL) and a full head of hair that gets revealed when her helmet is knocked off. The three girls pilot A.R.I.E.L much like a Super Sentai robot, and are forced to coordinate their efforts to perform attacks. Despite decapitating a number of alien beasts, things go awry for the girls until a guy named Saber Starblast shows up and saves the day.

While clearly being part of a bigger story, A.R.I.E.L Visual does right by its limited run time by portraying itself as just a couple episodes of a bigger series. This works a lot better than trying to cover too much in two brief OAVs, although I can’t help but feel sorry for the poor otaku who paid 7,800yen in 1989 for the first episode.

The second OAV, 1991’s Deluxe A.R.I.E.L, is another two-parter and really just more of the same. It clearly has a better budget and some of the designs have been reworked to look a bit more modern, but with much of the staff returning it feels very familiar. The story picks up right where the first OAV left off, with yet another alien attempt at attacking Earth. The higher budget and better pacing makes for a more entertaining experience than A.R.I.E.L Visual, although it’s still hard to recommend.

There are even more Evangelion similarities to be found, most of which are a little bit too close to be pure coincidence. Both episodes start with a character running late to school with a piece of bread sticking out of her mouth. There’s an abundance of train imagery. The idea of limited fuel really sticks out, as a monster in the first episode stops fighting because its energy supply has run out, and the second episode takes it a bit further, with an energy barrier used to protect Tokyo requiring all power within the Yamanote Line be cut off.

And just to bring things full circle, there’s yet another reference to an earlier Gainax title: one of the girls shows up to pilot the A.R.I.E.L in a bunny suit straight out of the DAICON films.

For whatever weaknesses the A.R.I.E.L OAVs have, it’s hard to argue with the apparent popularity of a franchise which spanned nearly twenty years of novels. Around the time of the OAV’s production, a number of audio dramas were released, and a quick look on Yahoo! Japan Auctions turns up stuff like A.R.I.E.L stickers and pencils — a sign that this title was probably popular at one point in time. With that said, aside from its place as a curiosity stemming from its connections to Evangelion, it’s not a noteworthy title today.

There are plenty of other largely uninteresting, mediocre OAVs from the early days of the medium, but most don’t make you feel like you’re watching Evangelion.

(Special thanks to duckroll for helping me uncover the Gainax/Honda connection)
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 am

YouTube:
Folding Ideas - End of Evangelion and the Audience Author Membrane

YouTube:
Folding Ideas - End of Eva Follow Up
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:17 am

Understanding Disaster, Part 3: Evangelion and the World Apocalypse
phpBB [media]
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:08 am

ANN:
Evangelion Studio Khara Confirms Next Shin Evangelion Is in Production
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:18 am

BMD:
NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: The Biggest Monster Is You
How the Kaiju/Mecha anime tackles depression.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby tbeasley » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 pm

phpBB [media]
~ Tyler

tbeasley
Godzilla

Postby klen7 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:33 pm

2020!