New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 pm

I need to start buying these new classic Doctor Who Blu-ray sets and start getting rid of this mountain of Doctor Who single DVDs I've accumulated in the last two decades.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:04 am

lhb412 wrote:I need to start buying these new classic Doctor Who Blu-ray sets and start getting rid of this mountain of Doctor Who single DVDs I've accumulated in the last two decades.


Yeah, it's ridiculous. Though, in this case, I only had two volumes from Davison's first season, so it's not like I'm gaining that much shelf space.

Now for Tom Baker, on the other hand, I have all of the volumes but one for his first 4 seasons.

Of course, I've got all of these DVDs of classic Who and have only watched less than half of what I own. Too many things happened in the last few years and it just became a hassle to buy so many DVDs.

Fortunately, these Blu-Ray sets make it so much easier, though, I wish they would have done Complete Years sets to match the Capaldi and Smith sets first and then started doing them individually. It is weird though how the DVDs focused on Story numbers and air dates, but the BDs just say "Season <whatever>" without any episode numbers nor airdates listed.

Rumors have it that McCoy's second season and Pertwee's final season will be after Baker's final season next year. No idea why they aren't starting with McCoy's first season, since that would make sense, but I guess BBC just doesn't really care about releasing them so people can watch them in their proper order. At least it makes sense for Pertwee since I doubt they have every episode for his other seasons. Nevertheless, I think that is why I stopped watching my DVDs after a while. It just got annoying not being able to watch the episodes in their proper viewing order.

Oh well. Maybe it's time I try again and watch all of the stuff I own that leads up to Baker's first season, watch that, his final episode, then the Davison set I just got, and go from there with whatever Blu-Rays are out when I get there or watch the Colin Baker/McCoy volumes I own too.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 am

Last week I got the complete Batman the Animated Series CE on BD on my 25% off day at work.

On Sunday I picked up Ready Player One, Rampage and Pacific Rim on 4K BD with the gift card my parents got me for my birthday.
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Last week I got the complete Batman the Animated Series CE on BD on my 25% off day at work.


Have you watched any of the episodes yet? I've got 6 episodes left to Season 1 and outside of the audio in one episode, it's been a fantastic set.

I also just realized this month is the 25th anniversary for Mask of the Phantasm. I think a review is in order for Xmas day. :D
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am

Dr Kain wrote:Yeah, it's ridiculous. Though, in this case, I only had two volumes from Davison's first season, so it's not like I'm gaining that much shelf space.


Well, to my understanding the Restoration Team was restoring one story at a time, meaning the single releases were the only thing that made sense. Now that most of the hard work is done it's easy to do a complete series set.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby XvGojira » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 am

I kept telling myself I could wait on the Batman Blu-Rays but then I saw it on Amazon for $62 and jumped at it. And then I start seeing stuff about the non-Deluxe version that's coming out. I figured it might not have the digital copy and probably wouldn't contain the two movies. I was wrong on both accounts. The standard edition has all the discs but none of the junk. No lithographs, no pop figures, no book style cardboard page disc holders. Just two clam-shell cases. Simple and pure.

Oh well, maybe in a few years it'll be on clearance and it'll be worth it swapping cases.

Now they need to start working on Superman and Batman Beyond.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 am

XvGojira wrote:I kept telling myself I could wait on the Batman Blu-Rays but then I saw it on Amazon for $62 and jumped at it. And then I start seeing stuff about the non-Deluxe version that's coming out. I figured it might not have the digital copy and probably wouldn't contain the two movies. I was wrong on both accounts. The standard edition has all the discs but none of the junk. No lithographs, no pop figures, no book style cardboard page disc holders. Just two clam-shell cases. Simple and pure.

Oh well, maybe in a few years it'll be on clearance and it'll be worth it swapping cases.

Now they need to start working on Superman and Batman Beyond.

Yeah, I saw the deluxe version for $70 and jumped on it and then now the non-deluxe version comes along and...dammit.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
User avatar
jellydonut25
Controller
 
Posts: 18664
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Houston, TX via Buffalo, NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am

XvGojira wrote:I kept telling myself I could wait on the Batman Blu-Rays but then I saw it on Amazon for $62 and jumped at it. And then I start seeing stuff about the non-Deluxe version that's coming out. I figured it might not have the digital copy and probably wouldn't contain the two movies. I was wrong on both accounts. The standard edition has all the discs but none of the junk. No lithographs, no pop figures, no book style cardboard page disc holders. Just two clam-shell cases. Simple and pure.

Oh well, maybe in a few years it'll be on clearance and it'll be worth it swapping cases.

Now they need to start working on Superman and Batman Beyond.


Personally, I love the BTAS packaging. It's simple, yet stylish. I love how it lists out every episode which I doubt the regular clamshell case version has. My only complaint is that I wish they had put the poster for MotP in the booklet next to the page the disc is in.

I sold my digital copy for $40 and Amazon gave me a $20 refund due to shipping it in an envelope, so I barely paid anything for the set.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:03 pm

Dr Kain wrote:Personally, I love the BTAS packaging. It's simple, yet stylish. I love how it lists out every episode [b]which I doubt the regular clamshell case version has.[/b


While I cannot attest to that version, I know the original 4 DVD volumes released do list all the episodes individually within their packaging. I don't double-dip on most things, but if you REALLY enjoy something, I get it. I got the Gatchaman Blu-Ray merely for convenience (3 slightly over-thick Blu Ray cases vs 27 individual DVD cases!) but it is an amazing set. But I cant afford to do so with everything. BTAS would be pretty high on my list of upgrades, but I will always prefer to get something new I don't have yet vs upgrading.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3005
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Born in the Bay Area, but stuck in Sacto

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby XvGojira » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Personally, I love the BTAS packaging. It's simple, yet stylish. I love how it lists out every episode [b]which I doubt the regular clamshell case version has.[/b


While I cannot attest to that version, I know the original 4 DVD volumes released do list all the episodes individually within their packaging. I don't double-dip on most things, but if you REALLY enjoy something, I get it. I got the Gatchaman Blu-Ray merely for convenience (3 slightly over-thick Blu Ray cases vs 27 individual DVD cases!) but it is an amazing set. But I cant afford to do so with everything. BTAS would be pretty high on my list of upgrades, but I will always prefer to get something new I don't have yet vs upgrading.


From the unboxing video, it has an insert with the episode list.
User avatar
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:29 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:23 pm

XvGojira wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Personally, I love the BTAS packaging. It's simple, yet stylish. I love how it lists out every episode [b]which I doubt the regular clamshell case version has.[/b


While I cannot attest to that version, I know the original 4 DVD volumes released do list all the episodes individually within their packaging. I don't double-dip on most things, but if you REALLY enjoy something, I get it. I got the Gatchaman Blu-Ray merely for convenience (3 slightly over-thick Blu Ray cases vs 27 individual DVD cases!) but it is an amazing set. But I cant afford to do so with everything. BTAS would be pretty high on my list of upgrades, but I will always prefer to get something new I don't have yet vs upgrading.


From the unboxing video, it has an insert with the episode list.


That's good. I thought it was stupid that they didn't give episode lists to the JL S2 and JLU, nor to Brave and the Bold Season 2.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:12 pm

Dr Kain wrote:
Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:Last week I got the complete Batman the Animated Series CE on BD on my 25% off day at work.


Have you watched any of the episodes yet? I've got 6 episodes left to Season 1 and outside of the audio in one episode, it's been a fantastic set.

I also just realized this month is the 25th anniversary for Mask of the Phantasm. I think a review is in order for Xmas day. :D


Not yet probably start doing that soon. I just watched RPO for the first time now I want to start the Batman show as its a favorite of mine from when I was a kid.
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:05 am

Got these today at B&N for a total of $22 due to all of their sales and coupons:

Image
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Just arrived:

Image

My entire Gaoranger collection:

Image
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 am

Just picked up The Predator 4K the other day and also Full Moon High and Ginger Snaps from Shout/Scream Factory. Watched The Predator last night and it was a fairly decent movie I really enjoyed it. Tonight I'm going to watch Ginger Snaps since its been forever since I've seen that movie.

Probably in about a month or so I'll be picking up the Predator 4K trilogy set. I wanted to get the one that came with all four movies but we never got that in at my work and I had some gift card money that was about to expire so I used that to get the predator for like $10 off.
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:33 am

We had our Xmas gettogether with our friends and here was our haul:

Image

More stuff between the two of us:

Image
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:47 am

Christmas!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:18 am

With my Christmas gift cards:


ImageImage
ImageImage

It's probably the most exciting time ever to collect movies on Blu-ray... at least for me! It feels like an avalanche of all the classic films I want, with every week bringing news of a another long-anticipated (again, by me) release. If this keeps up eventually my collecting movies will slow to a crawl, as I will have pretty much everything I want!
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 am

lhb412 wrote:With my Christmas gift cards:


ImageImage
ImageImage

It's probably the most exciting time ever to collect movies on Blu-ray... at least for me! It feels like an avalanche of all the classic films I want, with every week bringing news of a another long-anticipated (again, by me) release. If this keeps up eventually my collecting movies will slow to a crawl, as I will have pretty much everything I want!


I wish they would just do a massive box set covering all of the Hammer Dracula films instead of doing them individually. If I have to buy them individually, then I'm only going to buy the first one and that is it.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:19 am

^ Well, they're split up between a few different companies here in the United States, so that would be quite difficult. I'm just happy we have them at all!
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:11 pm

lhb412 wrote:^ Well, they're split up between a few different companies here in the United States, so that would be quite difficult. I'm just happy we have them at all!


I don't see that as anything more than a poor excuse now seeing as how other franchises have had box sets in more recent years despite being owned by different companies. Halloween, Alfred Hitchcock, Friday the 13th, Child's Play, etc.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Licensing movies from WB, Universal, and Studio Canal is doable... but not exactly practical. It's unrealistic to expect such things.
User avatar
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 14736
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby H-Man » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Kain, all those series/franchises you named are going to sell better than the Hammer Draculas. It’s not a poor excuse, it’s the reality of the situation.
User avatar
H-Man
Godzilla
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:55 am

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:52 am

H-Man wrote:Kain, all those series/franchises you named are going to sell better than the Hammer Draculas. It’s not a poor excuse, it’s the reality of the situation.


No, it just needs someone who actually cares like Shout! Factory.
Image
User avatar
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11083
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:00 pm
Location: Englewood CO but originally from Buffalo NY

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:59 am

Dr Kain wrote:
H-Man wrote:Kain, all those series/franchises you named are going to sell better than the Hammer Draculas. It’s not a poor excuse, it’s the reality of the situation.


No, it just needs someone who actually cares like Shout! Factory.


Shout would have to sublicense them through the individual companies. The risk of doing that wouldn't be worth the reward as it'd drive the cost of the discs way up and they probably wouldn't sell that many units to justify it.
The member formerly known as gvamp
User avatar
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla
 
Posts: 11147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron