New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: New DVD/Blu-ray Purchases

Postby Dr Kain » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:Arrow Video has released:
The Bloodthirsty Trilogy
Phantasm 1-5
Creepshow 2
Society
CHUD
Caltiki
The Stuff
Brain Damage
The Crazies
Basket Case
and more.

The only one of those I have any interest in is the vampire trilogy set.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 am

Dr Kain wrote:The only one of those I have any interest in is the vampire trilogy set.

Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:03 pm

A month or so ago when Shout was having a big sale I ordered/preordered Deadtime Stories, Night of the Lepus and Piranha 2: The Spawning and those are finally starting to ship. I got notification today that Deadtime stories shipped the others should be shipping soon too.
The member formerly known as gvamp
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Shout! wasn't kidding when they said you would get Timeranger early if you preordered it from them. DAMN!!!!

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:19 am

My Shout BDs of Piranha 2 and Night of the Lepus arrived today not sure when I'll get a chance to check them out probably in a few weeks when I'm going on vacation.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 pm

well of the 20 or so items on my Amazon Media Wish list, I decided to go BIG. Fynny enough, this wasn't even a Prime day deal, just happened to go way down in price on the same day, so I finally got it:

I previously had a mish-mash of single disc, double disc, and Blu-Ray editions, that I sold all on the secondary market. having them all in one set is pretty cool. I just wish they would have included The Dark Knight Returns Special Edition (parts 1 & 2 edited together to make one long film) as a Bonus. Of course, I kept mine. Also seeing as how I haven't seen the last 3 or 4 of these, and wanting to rewatch several others, this will keep me entertained for quite some time.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm

Finally get to own this series again:

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Baltan II » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:31 pm

O.Supreme wrote:well of the 20 or so items on my Amazon Media Wish list, I decided to go BIG. Fynny enough, this wasn't even a Prime day deal, just happened to go way down in price on the same day, so I finally got it:

I think a day or two after you mentioned this it WAS a Prime Day deal, heh.

I haven't been much for purchasing discs lately but at one point I had to pad out an Amazon order to get free shipping and decided to throw in a movie I knew I definitely didn't have, King Kong Escapes! I'm not sure how it is as I've never watched it or the cartoon it basically adapts, but I'm hoping it's neat.
Baltan II
Burning Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm

^ Wow! Never? It's classic Toho. Mechanikong and Gorosaurus await!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Gwangi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Finally took advantage of the Criterion sale and was specifically waiting for this title:

also

I could have sworn, I already had the blu-ray for this one, but checking the collection, no I did not. I had to remedy that! Getting both cost less than buying one Criterion at their regular price!
Gwangi
Heisei Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:19 pm

^ Hopefully there will still be a copy of A Matter of Life and Death around when I hit B&N tomorrow!

--- edit ---

Ugh, only a single DVD copy between the two stores. Oh well, I guess that gives me something else to get next sale.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am

R&M S3 was a big time prime day deal (it was like $9) as was the Harry Potter collection ($27 for all the movies). The rest were just on sale and overdue.

Now I'll need to keep my eyes open for R&M season 2...but it was $25 when I bought 1 &3, and I got both of them for less than that.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

This arrived just now:

Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am

Just preordered all three Avengers movies on 4K from my work's website. Infinity War will be here Friday and the first two will be here Saturday, I'm not in a hurry to watch them I'm waiting for the other MCU films to come out on 4K so I can rewatch them. We're missing all three Iron Man movies, all three Captain America movies, Thor, Thor 2, Ant Man, Dr Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 am

While I bought Black Panther and have ordered Infinity War through the Disney Movie Club on 4K, I'm planning to double dip on the MCU when they decide to do a 4k/BD box set (be it some big set or individual Phase sets). It would also be nice if they were to fix the audio on Iron Man so it didn't suck ass.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:45 am

I buy all my MCU movies used for cheap. Disney's audio mixes are trash, and I'm not gonna pay top dollar for trash.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 pm

I buy Blu-ray pretty much exclusively, but when I saw a used copy of the currently unavailable in North America Dawn of the Dead on DVD at the second hand shop I couldn't resist! It's that 4 disc set with all the different cuts of the movie. Looks decent upscaled!
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 am

jellydonut25 wrote:I buy all my MCU movies used for cheap. Disney's audio mixes are trash, and I'm not gonna pay top dollar for trash.

I was pretty disappointed with their audio for Black Panther. It sounded as bad as the Iron Man BD I have and that came out ten years ago. Though, I'm suspecting it's more my own set up than the discs themselves. I probably should invest in a new subwoover and a receiver that can transmit Atmos.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am

lhb412 wrote:I buy Blu-ray pretty much exclusively, but when I saw a used copy of the currently unavailable in North America Dawn of the Dead on DVD at the second hand shop I couldn't resist! It's that 4 disc set with all the different cuts of the movie. Looks decent upscaled!

That's a good buy.

Dr Kain wrote:
jellydonut25 wrote:I buy all my MCU movies used for cheap. Disney's audio mixes are trash, and I'm not gonna pay top dollar for trash.

I was pretty disappointed with their audio for Black Panther. It sounded as bad as the Iron Man BD I have and that came out ten years ago. Though, I'm suspecting it's more my own set up than the discs themselves. I probably should invest in a new subwoover and a receiver that can transmit Atmos.
I literally have a hard time watching their discs just on a TV, like, just casually. I have to crank my TV up to volume 50 or higher to hear stuff...usually it's at 20. That's ridiculous.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

Postby Tom R VanSlambrouck » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Dr Kain wrote:

It's not your set up Disney is notorious for having poor audio on their discs often having the volume too low. If you have an Atmos set up another issue is to low volume on the height channels.
Tom R VanSlambrouck
Millennium Godzilla

Postby DannyBeane » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:54 pm

lhb412 wrote:I buy Blu-ray pretty much exclusively, but when I saw a used copy of the currently unavailable in North America Dawn of the Dead on DVD at the second hand shop I couldn't resist! It's that 4 disc set with all the different cuts of the movie. Looks decent upscaled!

That's the Anchor Bay dvd release of DOTD. I have it. I also have the blu ray release and... I still prefer the DVD because I adore the European cut of DOTD. It's my favorite movie of all time. I've watched it probably a 100 times and I am not even kidding.
DannyBeane
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 am

Tom R VanSlambrouck wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:

It's not your set up Disney is notorious for having poor audio on their discs often having the volume too low. If you have an Atmos set up another issue is to low volume on the height channels.

So I contacted DIsney on the disc like two week's ago and they just responded to me now with this:

The audio dropout that you are describing is what is known as "Discrete Audio", meaning it is carried only in the speakers that match the subject on screen. In this case, the dialogue is voiced off-screen.

To restore the full soundtrack to your television, please try the following:

· Check your audio connections to your TV set. If you are using the red, white and yellow cables to connect your player, please verify that the red and white cables are both firmly connected at both ends.

· If your TV only has one audio input (left or right), you will need a Y adapter for your RCA cables. This will allow you to plug the ends of the red and white cables into the adapter, and then plug the single end of the adapter into the audio input. This will give you the full soundtrack.

· If you have a 2 channel system, you may also need to adjust the audio settings of your player. To change your settings you will need to visit the setup page of your player. With no disc in the player, press the "Setup" button on your player's remote control. If your remote does not have a setup button you may need to use the "Menu" or "Display" button. Once in the menu, select the audio settings then change your audio output option to either 2 Channel, Stereo, or 2 Channel Stereo. Then, press the "Setup" button again to exit this menu. This new setting should correctly mix the audio track on this disc and allow you to hear the previously missing audio.

I have no idea what the hell they are even talking about. My PS3 is connected to the receiver via HDMI, so why would I even be using RCA or the red, white yellow cables?
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Postby lhb412 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 am

DannyBeane wrote:That's the Anchor Bay dvd release of DOTD. I have it. I also have the blu ray release and... I still prefer the DVD because I adore the European cut of DOTD. It's my favorite movie of all time. I've watched it probably a 100 times and I am not even kidding.

I recently got the Criterion edition of Night of the Living Dead, so I'm actually tempted to hold off on Dawn and wait for the Halloween season and watch Night, Dawn and Day (which I've never seen) all together.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby william newell » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 am

So I contacted DIsney on the disc like two week's ago and they just responded to me now with this:

The audio dropout that you are describing is what is known as "Discrete Audio", meaning it is carried only in the speakers that match the subject on screen. In this case, the dialogue is voiced off-screen.

To restore the full soundtrack to your television, please try the following:

· Check your audio connections to your TV set. If you are using the red, white and yellow cables to connect your player, please verify that the red and white cables are both firmly connected at both ends.

· If your TV only has one audio input (left or right), you will need a Y adapter for your RCA cables. This will allow you to plug the ends of the red and white cables into the adapter, and then plug the single end of the adapter into the audio input. This will give you the full soundtrack.

· If you have a 2 channel system, you may also need to adjust the audio settings of your player. To change your settings you will need to visit the setup page of your player. With no disc in the player, press the "Setup" button on your player's remote control. If your remote does not have a setup button you may need to use the "Menu" or "Display" button. Once in the menu, select the audio settings then change your audio output option to either 2 Channel, Stereo, or 2 Channel Stereo. Then, press the "Setup" button again to exit this menu. This new setting should correctly mix the audio track on this disc and allow you to hear the previously missing audio.

I have no idea what the hell they are even talking about. My PS3 is connected to the receiver via HDMI, so why would I even be using RCA or the red, white yellow cables?[/quote]

Sounds like Disney thinks you're watching this on a stereo VCR, judging by those instructions. :lol: :lol:
william newell
Heisei Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 am

lhb412 wrote:
DannyBeane wrote:That's the Anchor Bay dvd release of DOTD. I have it. I also have the blu ray release and... I still prefer the DVD because I adore the European cut of DOTD. It's my favorite movie of all time. I've watched it probably a 100 times and I am not even kidding.

I recently got the Criterion edition of Night of the Living Dead, so I'm actually tempted to hold off on Dawn and wait for the Halloween season and watch Night, Dawn and Day (which I've never seen) all together.

The Criterion NOTLD is delightful.
Gills.

jellydonut25
Controller

PreviousNext

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases