Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Discuss Movies and Soundtracks available in different formats, including the latest releases on Blu-Ray. As per Board policy, No Bootleg Discussions please!

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Star Wars Blu-rays in the Works

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 am

Dr Kain wrote:Frankly, I'm glad Rebels wasn't totally serialized. I've grown bored of serialized series because everyone is doing it now. That is one of the biggest flaws with all of the super hero shows these days. They're all so busy building the plot up for the season finale that they forget to be a show about super heroes rescuing people. Hell, even Doctor Who started to do it, which got a tad annoying. Sometimes I want to just see a nice adventure of the week type story. Not everything needs to build up to something bigger every time. It's one of the reasons "Fly" is one of my top favorite episodes of Breaking Bad. Don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad may be the second greatest TV show ever, but it was nice that there was an episode that was just "filler." Even Voltron Legendary Defender knows to have stand alone episodes from time to time.

That's fine. I get that. I just think Rebels didn't quite strike the balance for me. I KNOW Clone Wars didn't...but again, that's fine, it's just not FOR ME. It's definitely for its target audience (young kids) so I'm not saying it's bad...just saying I don't personally want to watch anything Star Wars right now because even the best of it (the TV shows) just doesn't strike a cord with me.
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

Dr Kain wrote:Frankly, I'm glad Rebels wasn't totally serialized. I've grown bored of serialized series because everyone is doing it now. That is one of the biggest flaws with all of the super hero shows these days. They're all so busy building the plot up for the season finale that they forget to be a show about super heroes rescuing people. Hell, even Doctor Who started to do it, which got a tad annoying.

Your comparing animation to live action, super-heroes or not, its not quite the same. Actually in terms of animation, the last "serialized" series was Avengers EMH, (which is regarded by many as one of the best animated series ever) and technically that was only part way through season 2, when Jeph Loeb came in and started to screw things up. Since then Disney has pretty much trashed Marvel's animation department, garbage in/garbage out product since 2012. I'm excited for the return of Young Justice in just a few weeks -an amazing serialized story. DC has always pretty much beaten Marvel in the animated series department. I don't mind if a a series tells a long overarching story, or has individual episodes but to say we have too much of the former is a bit erroneous.
There are no more good TV Shows, only ones that haven't disappointed me yet.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Dr Kain » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm

O.Supreme wrote:
Dr Kain wrote:Frankly, I'm glad Rebels wasn't totally serialized. I've grown bored of serialized series because everyone is doing it now. That is one of the biggest flaws with all of the super hero shows these days. They're all so busy building the plot up for the season finale that they forget to be a show about super heroes rescuing people. Hell, even Doctor Who started to do it, which got a tad annoying.

Your comparing animation to live action, super-heroes or not, its not quite the same. Actually in terms of animation, the last "serialized" series was Avengers EMH, (which is regarded by many as one of the best animated series ever) and technically that was only part way through season 2, when Jeph Loeb came in and started to screw things up. Since then Disney has pretty much trashed Marvel's animation department, garbage in/garbage out product since 2012. I'm excited for the return of Young Justice in just a few weeks -an amazing serialized story. DC has always pretty much beaten Marvel in the animated series department. I don't mind if a a series tells a long overarching story, or has individual episodes but to say we have too much of the former is a bit erroneous.

I don't look at animation or live action as anything different though. Both can tell well thought out, detailed stories if they are well written. Due to CGI, there is no difference anymore between what a live action thing can or cannot do compared to an animated one.

It's just like the argument I had with someone recently who wants a live action Batman TV show. I told him there is nothing a live action show can do that wasn't already done better in The Animated Series. His whole argument turned into, "but live action," as if that is supposed to make a difference.
Dr Kain
Millennium Godzilla

Previous

Return to Daikaiju Home Media Releases