Disney News Thread

King Kong! Star Trek! The Lord of the Rings! Hellraiser! Star Wars! The Marvel Cinematic Universe! The Universal Monsters! Freddy and Jason! The Dead Trilogy! The DC Cinematic Universe! Battlestar Galactica! Hammer Films! Gorgo! The range of Western Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Movies and Television programs span the scope of the imagination; this is the forum to discuss them!

"Come get some..."

Moderator: Controllers

Re: Disney v Comcast

Postby mr.negativity » Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am

THR 5/7/2018:
Comcast Lining Up Financing for Hostile Offer of Fox Assets (Report)
Abid Rahma wrote:Comcast is renewing its efforts to scupper Walt Disney Co.'s $52.4 billion deal to buy 21st Century Fox's media assets by readying a hostile all-cash offer, according to various media reports.

Reuters reported Monday that Comcast was in the process of asking investment banks to put in place a bridge financing facility valued at as much as $60 billion. Three sources familiar with the matter told Reuters that Comcast CEO Brian Roberts only planned to proceed with the hostile bid if federal authorities cleared the $85 billion AT&T-Time Warner deal.

Late last year, Fox accepted a $52.4 billion deal with Disney, which included the sale of the 20th Century Fox movie and TV studio and all the international pay TV properties, including the stake in British broadcaster Sky, as well as a number of other assets. The pact did not include Fox's broadcasting network and stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, sports channels FS1, FS2 and the Big Ten Network, with those assets to be spun into a new company controlled by the Murdoch family if the deal with Disney was completed.

Comcast's initial bid for the Fox assets up for sale was reported to be higher at $64 billion, but was rejected by the company run by James Murdoch due to worries over antitrust issues. In February, Comcast was reportedly looking at reviving its failed bid for Fox, and reports on Monday suggested the company is securing the financing to outbid Disney.

As well as its aggressive pursuit of Fox assets, Comcast also made a $31 billion offer for 61 percent of Sky, topping Fox's bid for the shares in the company it didn't already own. Fox's bid for Sky has run into a number regulatory hurdles in the U.K., most notably over issues of media plurality and the future of Sky News.

On Monday, CNBC reported that Comcast now planned to acquire 100 percent of Sky as part of an improved all-cash bid. Sources told CNBC that if a Comcast-Disney bidding war for Fox and Sky were to happen, Comcast's bid for both companies could near $100 billion.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 pm

CNBC:
Comcast is preparing to announce bid for Fox on Wednesday if AT&T-Time Warner is approved, sources say
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Re: Disney News Thread

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:23 pm

THR 6/13/2018:
Comcast Unveils $65 Billion All-Cash Bid for Fox, Topping Walt Disney's Offer
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby The Shadow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 pm

I still don't understand how Comcast's offer can be serious. Comcast already owns NBC-Universal, why would regulators approve them another movie studio and another television network.
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow
Burning Godzilla

Postby XvGojira » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:51 pm

Disney might be/becoming a media monopoly but Comcast is satan, so the more they get screwed over the better. #teamdisney #comcastcansuckit
XvGojira
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:14 am

Go Comcast! Keep the X-Men outta the MCU!
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:21 am

Wishing the X-Men, who are part of Marvel Comics, to NOT be a part of Marvel...things truly have changes haven't they...
Film Wish List:1. Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening/closing credits
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby jellydonut25 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 am

O.Supreme wrote:Wishing the X-Men, who are part of Marvel Comics, to NOT be a part of Marvel...things truly have changes haven't they...

I've read the main X-Men book(s) from inception up through Schism, and occasionally some of the side titles as well.

I vastly prefer when the X-Men do not interact with the rest of the Marvel comic universe. It has never sat well with me at all that the world of Marvel would openly accept and LOVE The Fantastic Four, Captain America, Thor, and other superheroes...and then hate mutants. I view it as very incongruous. I prefer when the X-Men, which I think is an expansive universe unto itself, with no need at all for the other Marvel characters, actually deals more with minority issues and being hated and feared, and that doesn't work well when Reed Richards is standing next to them.

GRANTED, I like the idea of a one-off where the X-Men actually confront the issue ("Why does everyone hate us but love Captain America?") but as a one-off. I don't need/want to see Cyclops fighting alongside Cap...
Gills.

My DVD/Blu-Ray Collection:
http://jellydonut25.filmaf.com/owned
jellydonut25
Controller

Postby lhb412 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

XvGojira wrote:Disney might be/becoming a media monopoly but Comcast is satan, so the more they get screwed over the better. #teamdisney #comcastcansuckit

Yeah. As much as I hate the idea of a monopoly on pop culture Comcast is terrible.
lhb412
Millennium Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:03 pm

lhb412 wrote:
XvGojira wrote:Disney might be/becoming a media monopoly but Comcast is satan, so the more they get screwed over the better. #teamdisney #comcastcansuckit

Yeah. As much as I hate the idea of a monopoly on pop culture Comcast is terrible.

CNBC June 13, 2018:
Disney shares turn around and rally amid growing doubts about its deal for Fox
Tae Kim wrote:One Wall Street analyst even offered the possibility of Comcast and Disney dividing the Fox assets.

"We would expect Disney to at least match Comcast by adding cash, and Comcast to appease [Rupert] Murdoch's tax concerns by offering stock, and some back and forth raising the deal bid," B. Riley analyst Barton Crockett said in a note to clients Wednesday. "Barring a third entrant (Internet/tech is possible), we would see the most sensible outcome as splitting the baby, with Comcast getting Sky (which we see as its main goal) and Disney getting most of the rest."

Deadline June 15, 2018:
Comcast’s Bid To Buy Euro Pay-TV Operator Sky Cleared By European Commission
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:20 pm

jellydonut25 wrote:
O.Supreme wrote:Wishing the X-Men, who are part of Marvel Comics, to NOT be a part of Marvel...things truly have changes haven't they...

I've read the main X-Men book(s) from inception up through Schism, and occasionally some of the side titles as well.

I vastly prefer when the X-Men do not interact with the rest of the Marvel comic universe. It has never sat well with me at all that the world of Marvel would openly accept and LOVE The Fantastic Four, Captain America, Thor, and other superheroes...and then hate mutants. I view it as very incongruous. I prefer when the X-Men, which I think is an expansive universe unto itself, with no need at all for the other Marvel characters, actually deals more with minority issues and being hated and feared, and that doesn't work well when Reed Richards is standing next to them.

GRANTED, I like the idea of a one-off where the X-Men actually confront the issue ("Why does everyone hate us but love Captain America?") but as a one-off. I don't need/want to see Cyclops fighting alongside Cap...

That is fine, and appreciated. I grew up with mostly animated series, but I remember Secret Wars as the first HUGE crossover and I loved it. watching Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends with different Marvel heroes in each episode was great (two episodes had the X-Men which to me aren't different than any other superhero subset in Marvel Comics). Besides, Mutants aren't the only ones hated. Inhumans are hated, the HULK is hated. JJ hates Spider-Man, nobody likes Punisher, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, etc...it's not exactly a unique concept. During the many animated series of the 1990's, it was awesome to see the X-Men, Iron man, F4 etc.. all appear on Fox's Spider-Man animated series, again there was no distinction for me.

I'm not saying it has to be a regular thing, and as most people here know I vastly prefer animation to live-action anyway, but When I look at how profound The Infinity Gauntlet mini series was back in 1991, and to a lesser extent Infinity War in 1992, it was the sheer vastness of the characters involved that drew me to it. ALL the major characters, and most of the minor ones were all involved somehow, and that included the X-Men and F4. What Disney and the MCU has accomplished is amazing (for live action that is), I'll give them that. But there's still a huge emptiness when I read the comic as compared to the movies. I mean, it is really telling that when in 2010, a comedy show for kids, not even meant to be taken seriously (The Super Hero Squad), has a more robust take on the Infinity Gauntlet story than a major Hollywood studio. Also, all the snubbing annoys me to no end. I get that because of movie rights, currently F4 and X-Men characters appearing on film are part of 20th century Fox. But as far as all other mediums (printed, animated, merchandise in general etc...) there is no legality, but rather a self-imposed embargo to keep things "separate"

I mean if you look at Ultimate Spider-Man which ran for 4 seasons (104 episodes) from 2012-2017, Disney didn't even have the movie rights to Spider-Man until late 2014 when they worked a deal with Sony, and Disney bought Marvel back in 2009. Yet in the first 2 seasons of that show, X-Men characters would occasionally appear, but by season 3, which started airing in 2014 (and produced in 2013), all these characters disappeared, and in came the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Inhumans ,etc...characters Disney was really pushing. When I look at posters and T-Shirts of the overall marvel pantheon, and it's obvious that prominent X-Men and F4 characters are no longer acknowledged, it bugs me. When sequels to marvel Video games now have to include obscure characters I've never heard of, because they don't want to promote X-Men and F4, it makes me not want to even bother with them.

You see I don't have a favorite here. Disney has done some pretty messed up things IMHO, but the simple fact that a set of characters that for my entire life, all inhabited the same world, now seemingly don't, irritates me to no end. I'm not for or opposed any corporate merger. I couldn't really care less. All I want is for all these characters to be free (if the story to be told suits it), to be able to interact with each other. To be sure I don't want Iron Man and Wolverine to be on screen together just for the sake of it. That would be dumb. But if Galactus (Real Galactus not fart cloud ...)is coming to devour the earth, having EVERY Marvel Character on deck is not a bad idea.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:46 pm

lhb412 wrote:

The AVP tagline fits here. "Whoever wins, we lose." And whoever wins will be the new owner of the Alien and Predator franchises along with so many others.

jellydonut25 wrote:

Agreed 100%. There are enough characters in the X-Men franchise to sustain an X-Men cinematic universe. Fox's series is currently 11 films deep and there are still plenty of characters that haven't been utilized yet.

Look at something like Avengers: Infinity War. It's two and a half hours long and there are still some characters who get very little screen time compared to others, while even the more prominent characters like Iron Man or Thor don't have nearly as much screen time as they get in their respective starring vehicles. Likewise, even the longest X-Men movie with the biggest ensemble cast, X-Men: Apocalypse, still had to give certain characters less screen time than others. You mix the X-Men with a giant MCU ensemble and everyone gets three minutes of screen time at the most, if even that.

There's also the issue of how Marvel would even incorporate the existence of mutants into the existing cinematic universe. The Earth of the MCU is a world in which Captain America was a beloved American hero during World War II, a world in which people celebrated the Avengers after they saved New York from alien invaders, a world in which recorded sightings of the Hulk and Spider-Man are YouTube sensations and little kids are inspired by Iron Man and Black Panther. Short of rebooting the MCU, there's really no way to reconcile that reality with the prospect of mutants not fitting in with society because of their own unique attributes.

O.Supreme wrote:Also, all the snubbing annoys me to no end. I get that because of movie rights, currently F4 and X-Men characters appearing on film are part of 20th century Fox. But as far as all other mediums (printed, animated, merchandise in general etc...) there is no legality, but rather a self-imposed embargo to keep things "separate"

I mean if you look at Ultimate Spider-Man which ran for 4 seasons (104 episodes) from 2012-2017, Disney didn't even have the movie rights to Spider-Man until late 2014 when they worked a deal with Sony, and Disney bought Marvel back in 2009. Yet in the first 2 seasons of that show, X-Men characters would occasionally appear, but by season 3, which started airing in 2014 (and produced in 2013), all these characters disappeared, and in came the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Inhumans ,etc...characters Disney was really pushing. When I look at posters and T-Shirts of the overall marvel pantheon, and it's obvious that prominent X-Men and F4 characters are no longer acknowledged, it bugs me. When sequels to marvel Video games now have to include obscure characters I've never heard of, because they don't want to promote X-Men and F4, it makes me not want to even bother with them.

You see I don't have a favorite here. Disney has done some pretty messed up things IMHO, but the simple fact that a set of characters that for my entire life, all inhabited the same world, now seemingly don't, irritates me to no end. I'm not for or opposed any corporate merger. I couldn't really care less. All I want is for all these characters to be free (if the story to be told suits it), to be able to interact with each other. To be sure I don't want Iron Man and Wolverine to be on screen together just for the sake of it. That would be dumb. But if Galactus (Real Galactus not fart cloud ...)is coming to devour the earth, having EVERY Marvel Character on deck is not a bad idea.

Maybe you should care a little more about the corporate maneuvering at play here. Do you realize that The Walt Disney Company, not 21st Century Fox, has been responsible for all of the snubbing of certain characters in comics, animation and merchandise that annoys you to no end? Do you realize that your position, whether you mean it this way or not, is essentially that Disney should be rewarded for doing that by getting the character film rights that Fox currently holds? If Disney obtains those rights then that means that snubbing those characters in non-film media for so many years was actually a worthwhile endeavor for Disney in the long run. It would validate the snubbing, especially if it gets people like you who hate the snubbing to turn right around and cheer for Disney's victory in this matter.
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby O.Supreme » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Benjamin Haines wrote: Do you realize that The Walt Disney Company, not 21st Century Fox, has been responsible for all of the snubbing of certain characters in comics, animation and merchandise that annoys you to no end?

o.supreme wrote:Disney has done some pretty messed up things IMHO

Benjamin Haines wrote:Do you realize that your position, whether you mean it this way or not, is essentially that Disney should be rewarded for doing that by getting the character film rights that Fox currently holds? If Disney obtains those rights then that means that snubbing those characters in non-film media for so many years was actually a worthwhile endeavor for Disney in the long run. It would validate the snubbing, especially if it gets people like you who hate the snubbing to turn right around and cheer for Disney's victory in this matter.

So...not that I have any say in this anyway...but if Disney is denied 21st century Fox, then I don't get what I want..., but I can say to Disney "Yeah we showed! You!"...and continue to be less and less interested in things I used to like to the point I no longer like them...ok then.

Again, I don't want Disney to own 21st century Fox. I just want all Marvel characters to be free to interact in any medium as it used to be, that's all. But if greed and selfishness are all anybody cares about, then it's probably better I leave it all behind.
O.Supreme
Burning Godzilla

Postby Benjamin Haines » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:30 pm

^ But with the sole exception of live-action film, Marvel's characters ARE free to interact in any medium. When it comes to comic books, animation, video games and merchandise, it is Disney that is choosing to downplay or totally snub the characters of the X-Men and F4 pantheons, and they do it entirely out of greed and selfishness. They don’t have to, they want to, because Disney regards Marvel Entertainment’s characters as film assets first and foremost and treats all other media as ancillary platforms for boosting the film franchises.

That’s how much Disney actually cares about the Marvel characters. Greed and selfishness are why Disney has taken to snubbing certain characters in non-film media, and that’s also what’s driving Disney to try to buy Fox. Can you really criticize that kind of greed and selfishness when it seems like the only thing coloring your opinion about the merger is whether you get the outcome that you personally want? Disney has shown that they would sooner cancel a long-running Marvel comic book than potentially give a rival studio’s film any free promotion. Even if that particular scenario wouldn’t arise in the future after this merger, Disney clearly doesn’t care about Marvel’s characters beyond what they mean for the company’s bottom line, so all I can say to that is be careful what you wish for…
Benjamin Haines
Burning Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 pm

THR JUNE 19, 2018:
Pete Docter, Jennifer Lee to Lead Pixar, Disney Animation
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 am

THR 6/20/2018:
Disney Boosts Fox Bid to $71.3 Billion in Cash and Stock
Georg Szalai & Etan Vlessing wrote:Walt Disney said Wednesday that it has boosted the value of its takeover agreement for large parts of 21st Century Fox to $71.3 billion in cash and stock, following Comcast’s $65 billion all-cash offer from June 13.

The Comcast offer was for the same entertainment assets that Walt Disney had in December agreed to acquire for $52.4 billion in stock.

Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger during an analyst call said his company was better placed than Comcast to secure regulatory approval for its 21st Century Fox assets bid. "We have a much better opportunity in terms of approval and the timing of that approval than Comcast does in this case... We are confident that we have a clear and timely path to approval," Iger argued.

He added his studio's advantage in the regulatory realm was underlined by U.S. District Court Judge Richard Leon last week issuing his blockbuster decision in the landmark antitrust lawsuit over the $80 billion merger between AT&T and Time Warner. Iger specifically cited Judge Leon arguing a vertical merger can "generate competitive harm."

He added Comcast's dominance in the U.S. high-speed broadband market was more likely to raise alarm bells with regulators than Disney's film, TV and distribution assets, which he insisted will represent a "compelling proposition" for consumers if merged with the 21st Century assets now up for grabs.

"The dominance in broadband and cable and when you factor in their content ownership already, including a major broadcast network and multiple television stations and multiple cable channels, it's just simply an apples to oranges comparison to what the Justice Department was considering in the AT&T acquisition of Time Warner," Iger told analysts about Comcast after the U.S. cable giant cited AT&T prevailing in the anti-trust trial to acquire Time Warner to justify its own bid for the 21st Century Fox assets.

The Disney chief added his studio was already six months into dealing with regulators, which represented a "meaningful head start." Iger also declined to give an update on Disney's separate deal in principle to acquire the Sky News network from European pay TV giant Sky.

"Fox is in the driver's seat," Iger told analysts. The new Disney-Fox deal, unveiled by the conglomerates early Wednesday, is worth $38 per share in cash and stock, or $71.3 billion. Shares in 21st Century Fox opened in morning trading up $2.76, or just over 6 percent, to $47.05 on the NASDAQ Exchange.

Disney also will assume about $13.8 billion of Fox's net debt, which would boost the total transaction value to approximately $85.1 billion.

"Under the amended agreement, 21st Century Fox shareholders may elect to receive, for each share of 21st Century Fox common stock, $38 in either cash or shares of Disney common stock," Disney said. "The overall mix of consideration paid to 21st Century Fox shareholders will be approximately 50 percent cash and 50 percent stock."

ox's board met Wednesday and was understood to be weighing the price tags of bids for the Fox assets that are for sale along with tax bills, which are higher for cash bids, regulatory concerns and other issues.

Fox around 8 a.m. ET said the sweetened Disney offer was "superior" to Comcast's. "We are extremely proud of the businesses we have built at 21st Century Fox, and firmly believe that this combination with Disney will unlock even more value for shareholders as the new Disney continues to set the pace at a dynamic time for our industry," said Rupert Murdoch, executive co-chairman of Fox. "We remain convinced that the combination of 21st Century Fox's iconic assets, brands and franchises with Disney's will create one of the greatest, most innovative companies in the world."

Disney again emphasized the business and strategic benefits of the takeover, which includes the Fox film and TV studio, FX, NatGeo, Fox's 30 percent stake in Hulu and its international assets, including Star India and its 39 percent stake in European pay TV giant Sky.

"The acquisition of 21st Century Fox will bring significant financial value to the shareholders of both companies, and after six months of integration planning we’re even more enthusiastic and confident in the strategic fit of the assets and the talent at Fox,” Iger earlier said in a statement. "At a time of dynamic change in the entertainment industry, the combination of Disney’s and Fox’s unparalleled collection of businesses and franchises will allow us to create more appealing high-quality content, expand our direct-to-consumer offerings and international presence, and deliver more personalized and compelling entertainment experiences to meet growing consumer demand around the world."

Jefferies analyst John Janedis has said the bidding could go as high as $80 billion if Comcast and Disney continue to battle for Fox.

Fox on Wednesday also postponed a planned shareholder meeting that had been scheduled for July 10 to vote on the Disney deal in a potential sign that the company isn't ruling out a Comcast counter. The company "has determined to postpone its special meeting of stockholders to a future date in order to provide stockholders the opportunity to evaluate the terms of Disney's revised proposal and other developments to date."

Comcast, led by chairman and CEO Brian Roberts, officially bid for the assets, which include the Fox film and TV studio, FX, NatGeo, Fox’s 30 percent stake in Hulu, Star India and a 39 percent stake in European pay TV giant Sky, a day after a judge ruled that the Justice Department couldn’t prevent telecom giant AT&T from buying Time Warner for $85.4 billion.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Postby mr.negativity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am

/film:
Fox Accepts Disney’s $71.3 Billion Bid for 21st Century Fox, Topping Comcast’s Latest Offer [Updated]
Ben Pearson wrote:Update 6/20/2018: Bloomberg reports that Fox has accepted a $71.3 billion bid from Disney, which tops Comcast’s previous offer of $65 billion. Disney’s new offer “gives Fox shareholders the option to take their payment in the form of cash or stock, up to a 50-50 level”, and the company will also “take on about $13.8 billion of Fox’s net debt”, which brings the total value of the deal to north of $85 billion.
mr.negativity
Meltdown Godzilla

Previous

Return to Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy Films and Television